Thoughts on the sport shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 06:54 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by mitch236
Well, let's not get into statistics. I also didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. Yes, I would think people like Justin Bell (my neighbor) and his father whould know Porsche's fairly well but they weren't specifically speaking to the Porsche. What they explained is that with a SSK, you are more likely to miss a gear or a shift which both are bad when racing. For what we do, and even us who predominantly track their cars, the SSK is fine. If you really analyze how they both feel you might realize you have better feel with the longer throw. The SSK feels more engaging, that's why so many people like it (myself included) but with the short throws, you lose some feel and accuracy.
I think this is very much a personal preference, as well. Some drivers like a very short throw, others a longer throw. It reminds me of the 5th Gear episode a few years back when that guy bought Schumacher's F1 car. They were talking about all the adjustments that can be made on the car and one item mentioned was that Schumacher likes a long pedal movement and Barachello likes a very short pedal. Different driving styles, different preferences.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:39 PM
WAC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put in on my 996 which had the stock shifter and really liked the shorter, crisper shifts. When driving my friends 997S back to back with my car you can really tell a difference. The SSK is crisp, quick and just feels more precise, firm and well, better. The standard shifter is ok but feels loose and sloppy in comparison. Of course both are a heckuva lot better than the older long throw shifters like in the G50 transmission where you got to row the car through traffic!

If I bought a car without SSK that would be my first mod.

Tony
Old 02-01-2008, 02:59 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

If I bought a car without SSK that would be my first mod.
+1........but should be noted that a bad install can ruin the day and maybe that's where some of the sour reviews come from. Heard some stories of kits installed by P-dealers that had to be brought back for cable adjustements. Once done right though it's hard to imagine what's to like better about stock.....unless there's a natural preference for excessive travel and slop over crisp precision.

Last edited by sandwedge; 02-01-2008 at 03:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the sport shifter?