Sponsored by:

Thoughts on the sport shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 05:46 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MartyB
As Ken suggested, you'll find volumes of info on the SSK if you use the search function.

And yet the guy still gets 30 replies.

Public opinion can't help you with an issue like this. It has to left up to the individual.

I had the sport shift installed at the factory on my C2S Cab. The T4S came without it and I like it....maybe even more.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:15 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by InTheAir
I hear the allure of the SSK is defintely temperature dependent--if driven during the winter, it can be very notchy (i.e. difficult to shift in the lower gears).

Admittedly, I don't have personal experience.
Only if you're a wuss.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:54 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what it's worth, even after loving the SSK in my 996, i don't regret not getting the SSK in my 997.

i've had oem ssk's in each of my recent cars-- except for the 997. compared to my bmw, my 996's non-ssk action was absolutely horrendous-- like driving a tractor. i had installed the SSK in my 996 and it transformed the car-- one of the best and most necessary upgrades for the 996 imho. conversely, the action in my 997 (whose std shift throws i'm told are close to the 996 ssk) is so smooth and direct that i haven't regretted not upgrading once. i tend to be pretty ocd, so that's significant for me. that all being said, i may upgrade soon just to change it up
Old 01-29-2008, 07:04 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by speed doc
Hey in the air. At 10 degrees, you will be doing some starting in second gear until the car warms up, believe me. It takes some getting used to. It can get embarassing when your at a light and it turns green and you can't get the dam thing into 1st gear. But once it's warm, its butter.
Try double clutching into first when it's cold - usually slips right in.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:42 PM
Tinluver
Instructor

Had the SSK put in my 08 CS a few weeks after I bought it this winter.Not even close.I was very dissappointd with the long throws in the stock car.The short shifter felt what i expected from a high end sports car.I have no problem getting into 1st gear during this winter, even rolling at a stop.I have been driving a stick for 25 years in many different cars and they are all a spec notchy into 1st gear when cold.Its not just this car or a SSK. GET IT!
Old 01-30-2008, 09:52 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

I had the dealer do pre-delivery install for the option list price.
It's totally worth it IMO.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:08 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have an OEM SSK in my 2004 C4S and love it. No regrets whatsoever. Wish my S4 had one.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:00 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

I have it and like it. But when I ask professional racers whether they would want it the answer is almost always no. For reliability of the tranny they say.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:26 AM
Dr. Car
Racer

Mitch,

A few questions.

Do you mean you've talked to multiple professional racers who own street-driven 997s and they've specifically said they don't want an SSK for street use because it would affect the reliability of the transmission? Are these racers guys that drive cars around race tracks for a living, or just a hobby in which they recover a few percent of their expenditures in prize money? Have you asked enough of these professional racers who have experience with 997 (or 996) SSKs to have a commanding statistical database from which to be able to say "almost always no"?

- Ted
Old 01-31-2008, 09:01 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

My 06 S came with it, I love it! Smooth when warm slightly notchy when cold into first, no other problems.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:02 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Well, let's not get into statistics. I also didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. Yes, I would think people like Justin Bell (my neighbor) and his father whould know Porsche's fairly well but they weren't specifically speaking to the Porsche. What they explained is that with a SSK, you are more likely to miss a gear or a shift which both are bad when racing. For what we do, and even us who predominantly track their cars, the SSK is fine. If you really analyze how they both feel you might realize you have better feel with the longer throw. The SSK feels more engaging, that's why so many people like it (myself included) but with the short throws, you lose some feel and accuracy.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:24 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mitch236
Well, let's not get into statistics. I also didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. Yes, I would think people like Justin Bell (my neighbor) and his father whould know Porsche's fairly well but they weren't specifically speaking to the Porsche. What they explained is that with a SSK, you are more likely to miss a gear or a shift which both are bad when racing. For what we do, and even us who predominantly track their cars, the SSK is fine. If you really analyze how they both feel you might realize you have better feel with the longer throw. The SSK feels more engaging, that's why so many people like it (myself included) but with the short throws, you lose some feel and accuracy.
I don't understand why SSK would provide less accuracy or potential for mis-shifts.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:36 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I don't understand why SSK would provide less accuracy or potential for mis-shifts.
First I have the SSK and love it, however I have on 3 occasions now done a 3-2 shift when I intended to do a 3-4 while on the track. I caught it as fast as possible and there were no issues other than rattled nerves over "what could have been"....
whether it was a SSK issue, or an over eager first year track driver, I don't know, but it sure does get your attention!!

Old 01-31-2008, 01:15 PM
pbarch1
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I only have 7500 on mine but I really enjoy the way it feels. Mine too is a bit stiff in cold weather but does warm up quickly.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:46 PM
9elf S
Instructor

Love the precise, short shfits, and I don't even track the car.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the sport shifter?