Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will dealers sell you a CPO on a car you bought privately?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 12:42 AM
doctorpcar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will dealers sell you a CPO on a car you bought privately?

Presuming of course it goes through their entire CPO process?
Old 01-29-2008, 01:00 AM
pvgolfer
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I was going to do this before I ended up buying a new C2S. After contacting a dealership about doing this, a salesman told me that they could do this. However, it was important to have the dealership purchase the car from the private party first and then turn around and sell it to me as a CPO. The salesman said something to the effect that this would prevent me from paying sales tax twice.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:11 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I tried that with a few dealers near where I purchased my GT3 (Mississippi), but they all viewed it as "shady" business and one even hung up on me...

If you can find a dealer willing to do that, go for it... You may have to throw in something to make it worth their while...

-Blake
Old 01-29-2008, 09:53 AM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 121 Posts

At the very least, a dealer can print the maintenance history on a used pcar. I did that once.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:38 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

It is my understanding that in order for a dealer to CPO a car, it must be in their inventory so if you purchased it privately then I would have to say no.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:35 AM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Default Why would they want to?

It is an incentive for buying one from their inventory. A dealer is in business to make money, selling you a warranty for something that they don't get to make a penny on (other then the small cut of the CPO if there is one) is not something I would even ask.

If an extended warranty is something that you want contact a third party.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:03 PM
intheloop700
Track Day

Originally Posted by edward_generation
It is an incentive for buying one from their inventory. A dealer is in business to make money, selling you a warranty for something that they don't get to make a penny on (other then the small cut of the CPO if there is one) is not something I would even ask.

If an extended warranty is something that you want contact a third party.
A dealer makes no money on CPO; there is a pass-through charge that goes to Porsche in exchange for the warranty extension. Since the car must be sold including CPO and the sale reported as such to PCNA, there is no way for a dealer to CPO a car bought privately. Buy an aftermarket warranty with better coverage than the CPO!
Old 01-29-2008, 12:24 PM
doctorpcar
Instructor

Where do you get an after market warranty for a pcar?
Old 01-29-2008, 12:31 PM
intheloop700
Track Day

Originally Posted by doctorpcar
Where do you get an after market warranty for a pcar?
Any dealer will have a company that offers one, and they'll sell you one no matter where you bought the car. Heads up, though, because the warranty company may require record of a PPI with that dealer.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:47 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by intheloop700
A dealer makes no money on CPO; there is a pass-through charge that goes to Porsche in exchange for the warranty extension. Since the car must be sold including CPO and the sale reported as such to PCNA, there is no way for a dealer to CPO a car bought privately. Buy an aftermarket warranty with better coverage than the CPO!
I wasn't sure if they made any money off of a CPO, but if you say they don't they I will believe it, either way a dealer won't add it to a car that they didn't sell you.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:51 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorpcar
Presuming of course it goes through their entire CPO process?
My dealer said they would CPO my (privately purchased) car for about $2,000. They would buy the car from me, check it out and then sell it back to me..........all on paper so they would technically and legally own the car for however brief a moment. Service manager said they've done quiet a few of them. He also said that the CPO warranty is NOT a direct extension of the factory warranty but more like 75% of it. Covers all the big items but some smaller stuff is dropped.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:17 PM
rmillnj
Racer

The advantage of the CPO warranty from Porsche is that it is essentially hassle free. You can take the car to any Porsche dealer to have warranty work done. You also get roadside assistance with it. You breaik down, they will send a tow truch to take it the nearest dealer or your choice within 50 miles.

I was told that the cost to a dealer to certify a car is normally about $1000 plus the cost of whatever might need replacing. Tires have to have a certain tread or they must be replaced.

A dealer makes their money on a certified car by being able to command top retail dollar. It probably adds $5000 to what they can get for the car.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:26 PM
intheloop700
Track Day

Originally Posted by rmillnj

I was told that the cost to a dealer to certify a car is normally about $1000 plus the cost of whatever might need replacing.
It actually costs about 60% more than that...
Old 01-29-2008, 02:07 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by intheloop700
I do not think that is true. I have been told by two different dealers that they do make money on the CPO.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:43 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandwedge
My dealer said they would CPO my (privately purchased) car for about $2,000. They would buy the car from me, check it out and then sell it back to me..........all on paper so they would technically and legally own the car for however brief a moment. Service manager said they've done quiet a few of them. He also said that the CPO warranty is NOT a direct extension of the factory warranty but more like 75% of it. Covers all the big items but some smaller stuff is dropped.
Wouldn't you have to pay sales tax and titling fees? Also, wouldn't that add to the number of owners?

Quick Reply: Will dealers sell you a CPO on a car you bought privately?