How did you get permission....

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 04:57 PM
akim47
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How did you get permission....

to purchase your first P-Car?

OK OK OK... I know all the manly bs... but for the many of us who answers to the boss at home, how did you get clearance? Yes, I make most of the money in the household, but I entered into a union and don't make light of this fact...

I just sold my Lexus a couple of months ago and bought a new Denali. This was supposed to be for the wife, but she took a different job with an hour commute. So she's stuck driving what's been the daily driver (2004 Accord). I promised that we'd replace her car next, but am tempted to get myself a toy... (plus the new car would get better gas mileage than the Denali)...

Just wondering and thought it'd be interesting to hear all of your comments...

AK
Old 01-17-2008, 05:17 PM
968PORSCHE
Instructor

Passion, if she knows you really want it. Your head snaps like it's got laser lock on any shiny Carerra that can be glimpsed for more than a nano second. They just know if it's real or not. Wouldn't hurt to "forget" your wallet when it's time to fill up the monster. "Gee, I wish we had a fun, fuel efficient sports car Honey".

A Denali ? You got alot of ground to make up. Better start washing dishes, doing laundry and liking chick flicks.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:32 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

There is nothing wrong in respecting your better half. Be open and honest. Give her the Denali and start driving the Accord. When she tells you how much she loves the Denali start the Porsche conversation. Keep the Accord as a bad weather car.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:43 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by akim47
to purchase your first P-Car?

OK OK OK... I know all the manly bs... but for the many of us who answers to the boss at home, how did you get clearance? Yes, I make most of the money in the household, but I entered into a union and don't make light of this fact...

I just sold my Lexus a couple of months ago and bought a new Denali. This was supposed to be for the wife, but she took a different job with an hour commute. So she's stuck driving what's been the daily driver (2004 Accord). I promised that we'd replace her car next, but am tempted to get myself a toy... (plus the new car would get better gas mileage than the Denali)...

Just wondering and thought it'd be interesting to hear all of your comments...

AK

Doesn't your wife know that p-cars hold their value much better than other cars? Offer a long lasting contribution to the financial wellbeing of your household and get one NOW!
Old 01-17-2008, 06:05 PM
jgriffCS
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife loves Porsches. She encouraged me to get one. It also helps if you let her drive it every once in a while. I finally wound up giving my Cayman to my wife and getting a C2S. She makes far less money than I do but I thought it would be pretty crappy of me to by a new 911 Turbo or GT3 and leave her with an S2000 so we bought two less epensive Porsches.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:28 PM
eljeffo64
Racer

If she really loved you ...................
Old 01-17-2008, 06:40 PM
ds2k1
Racer

Mine's a rather interesting story. One night about 5 years ago I informed my wife that I intended to go down the Honda dealer the next day and purchase a CBR600 (at least, I think that's the model number). What transpired before me what a Class 5 freakout. She was crying so hard and acting so hysterical that I was literally speechless. She was ranting, "I'd never feel safe, always wondering whether you'll make it home, waaaaaaa...". Once she regained her composure, I informed her, again, that I used to race motorcycles and am actually pretty good with them and that, although I realize she may not like the idea and that it would take a while to get used to, I really wanted a bike again and felt I should have one if I wanted it. Then, a very magic moment occurred without any further prompting or negotiation on my part. Out of my wonderful wife's mouth came the following words: "if you promise to never get a motorcycle, I will never hassle you over any car you ever want to get." That, my friends, is permission.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:40 PM
dD/dt
Racer

It might help to know how you came to be driving the Denali. If she really wanted it and mere practicality forced you to drive it for gas savings, it's bad. This is because she wanted and loved it, and now sees you driving a car she had dreamed about. So the first step may be to unload the Denali to her custody and get the Accord for yourself, thus putting you back into the enviable position of greater need.

From there, several options exist:

1. Dedication
This may take months or a few years to gain permission. You start by mentioning the p-car once in a while, how much you've always loved them, and so on. Go to the dealer and get a brochure, which you can park on the back of the toilet, where she will assume you read it every time you're in there. Tell her initially that you talked to the salesman, and you just think it might be too expensive right now. Nonthreatening. Let her come around to the idea. Over the months (maybe years) to follow, keep this car idea on the table, but don't overdo it. Take her out to test drive them. Ask her which color combination she likes best. At some point, propose a date on which you can buy one, like a 40th or 50th birthday, when you get promoted at work, or whatever. If you're really lucky, she'll tire of hearing you daydream, and tell you just to buy it.

2. The Buildup
This one starts with a dream/plan for a car which is not a new 997, but evetually becomes one through a series of logical steps. For example, set the stage about your love for these cars, and tell her that you don't know if a new one is a smart idea, but a nice used one could fit the bill. Go out with her and test drive a few 993's or 996's that are in great shape. Make sure you look at examples whose prices are on the high end. On your own, figure out all the expenses involved, and be generous with estimates for maintenance. After a few weeks of seriously looking into this, you can tell her earnestly that you've comapred the costs of ownership, and a new model isn't really that much more than the nice used one, once you figure in the cost of repairs. If your wife is especially practical, or just afraid you'll get in over your head with another project, she may even suggest it for you.

3. Quid pro quo
This is the least sophisticated method. Find out what type of car she really wants (a new Lexus? Sure!) and tell her what you're hoping for, and point out that you can unload the Honda and the Denali.

In the end, you're a good husband and an honorable man for considering your wife's feelings at least as much as your own. Bear in mind that none of these are meant to be deceitful, but rather, to gently bring her around to your way of thinking. I'll tell you what worked for me, since I have gotten the green light to buy a new p-car anytime after June, when I finish residency:

First, I've always loved 911's. I had a 1988 coupe a few years ago, and the time to enjoy it divided by the cost of repairs (ie, the value of owning it) was too low, so I sold it. Since then (2005) I have seldom waivered from my dream of driving another one, hopefully a new one. It's not for her benefit, but I watch them drive past, I sit in them and talk to the salesmen every couple of months, and I have literally read every word in the brochure. I have made excel spreadsheets for different color and option combinations, and calculated the wholesale vs. msrp, as well as different discount amounts. In short, she understands that I love these more than any other car on the road, that I work hard, and that I care that her needs and those of my son come first. And importantly, we're going to replace her car (a 2003 Accord) with an Audi A6 before I get my Porsche.

Good things are worth waiting for.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:43 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I got very lucky and married someone who's parents had Porsche's. We dreamed together for many years about owning one before we were able to buy our first one. Every time that I've had any thoughts of selling, she's told me how stupid I am.

I think she's right!
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

My wife knew I wanted a Porsche since day 1, so the only question was when. I let my wife get a new car every 3 years, so when I was really to buy my 997 she couldn't say much...oh well, she did say it has to be a Tip.
wetstuff
Pro

She - my wife - likes driving it as much as I do.... She did feel less conspicuous in the Boxster - but the 997 is easier to drive; much to her surprise.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:46 PM
dD/dt
Racer

Originally Posted by ds2k1
Mine's a rather interesting story. One night about 5 years ago I informed my wife that I intended to go down the Honda dealer the next day and purchase a CBR600 (at least, I think that's the model number). What transpired before me what a Class 5 freakout. She was crying so hard and acting so hysterical that I was literally speechless. She was ranting, "I'd never feel safe, always wondering whether you'll make it home, waaaaaaa...". Once she regained her composure, I informed her, again, that I used to race motorcycles and am actually pretty good with them and that, although I realize she may not like the idea and that it would take a while to get used to, I really wanted a bike again and felt I should have one if I wanted it. Then, a very magic moment occurred without any further prompting or negotiation on my part. Out of my wonderful wife's mouth came the following words: "if you promise to never get a motorcycle, I will never hassle you over any car you ever want to get." That, my friends, is permission.

I forgot to include this one on the list. "The gambit."
Old 01-17-2008, 07:26 PM
MartyB
Racer

Originally Posted by ds2k1
One night about 5 years ago I informed my wife that I intended to go down the Honda dealer the next day and purchase a CBR600 (at least, I think that's the model number). What transpired before me what a Class 5 freakout. She was crying so hard and acting so hysterical that I was literally speechless.
Very effective tactic, my friend. During the summer between my senior year of high school and my first year of college, the topic of my mode of transportation at school came up occasionally, usually met with a furrowed brow or a change of the subject by my old man. Was I going to be a loser on foot or a player with a ride? I had a few grand saved up from summer jobs and I had ridden a two stroke dirt bike for a few years, so a motorcycle was a definite possibility if my Pop wouldn't soften up. I went to the Honda place to look at an Interceptor 500 and that evening I unwittingly sealed my fate when I left the Honda salesperson's business card on my night stand. My mother saw it the next morning and asked about it. I innocently told her I was considering buying a bike with my savings and taking it to school. Well, that night, with no fuss and no dirty looks, I was told by my Dad that I could take the '83 yellow long bed Ford Ranger with a worn out clutch (from me doing donuts in it ) to school. So, to answer my previous question, I was a loser in a banana, as my friends called it, during my freshman year, but I was a mobile and dry in the rain loser. Fortunately, I got a GTI the next year and a little more street cred along with it. Girlies don't like motorcycles!
Old 01-17-2008, 07:41 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

If your wife never knew about your desire/passion for a Porsche, then it may be quite an undertaking to sell her the idea now. After all, it comes with a hefty price tag, and unless your wife is into cars, a flashy, high-priced "mode of transportation" just doesn't seem practical nor fiscally responsible. My wife was aware of my passion ever since we first met, so she was thrilled for me when we finally got one.

It's never too late to start, but I wish you luck, my friend...
Old 01-17-2008, 07:45 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I always consult with the admiral for any large purchase....its always a joint decision. One year ago on our 21st anniversary we sat in front of the dealership for an hour and could not really decide what to do. This year, while looking for a P....she came up to me and told me she would buy it for our wedding anniversary...and she did. I can hardly wait till next year. Oh, BTW...I got away really cheap, a dozen roses.
abe

Quick Reply: How did you get permission....