Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How did you get permission....

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 07:47 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

OK, this is all good solid (yawn) advise, but it is all misdirected. !

The premise of your post is wrong.

As in the law, you never ask for "permission", you always ask for "forgiveness".

So, to really get somewhere (and get the car), I would suggest you ask the experts here how they asked for forgiveness after pulling up in the new P car
Old 01-17-2008, 07:59 PM
kennygoodboy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My idea was to buy my Porsche before I got married. Kind of a "comes with the package" scenario. Still single.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:10 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

When I started discussing it with my wife she liked the idea--

"I'd rather if you get a Porsche to screw around with than a girlfriend"
Old 01-17-2008, 08:36 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rome
When I started discussing it with my wife she liked the idea--

"I'd rather if you get a Porsche to screw around with than a girlfriend"
DING!!! That is the correct answer. My wife looked at the price and figured it was about half what a divorce would cost. Deal done.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:41 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

These are all great approaches. But before you implement any strategy, you need to analyze your wife.

For example, is she a predominantly rational or a predominantly emotional person? Each target requires a completely different approach.

Also, what types of risk is she most averse to? If a low tolerance for financial risk is a problem, you need to have figures in place that deemphasize the monetary side. If she scores low on her willingness to take health risks, you have to focus on the safety of the car. And so on.

With the right strategy in place before you begin your endeavor, you should have no difficulty to succeed.

Along these lines, an idea might be getting yourself a good book on persuasion and developing your strategy from there:

The Art of Getting What You Want
The Psychology of Persuasion
How To Persuade People Who Don't Want To Be Persuaded
Sell Your Ideas and Make Things Happen
Old 01-17-2008, 08:58 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Soul teacher - Very cool book recs there.

I would add, if it is a 'knife fight' with the Mrs , both "The 48 Laws of Power" and the "Art of Seduction" by Robert Greene - chk Amazon or Barnes & Noble websites

(I am kidding above and in the last post of course, but not about the books ).
Old 01-17-2008, 09:07 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My story:
I've wanted a Porsche off and on for all our marriage (30 years now). Her brother had one before we met, so she was familiar with them, but it didn't help that he'd rolled it. Anyway, about a year ago the youngest finished college - so we had time and some extra money that was not committed. My wife started doing DEs in my car (BMW Z4 coupe) through the BMW club. I wanted to, but didn't because of my schedule and my desire to not compete directly with her (makes her nervous, embarrasses me when she kicks my a$$).

After several DEs and moving up a group, she agreed that it would be nice if my car had more hp and stopping power. In that car the only real option was to trade up to the M coupe. I did not object. We went to my BMW salesguy and he told us about a car at a dealer 50 miles away, so we drove up to see it. We agreed to play disinterested. Started with a drive in a 550i, looked over a 6. Then she casually asked about "those" pointing to the CaymanS inventory. Salesman got her the keys and she loved it. Really loved it. Fit her perfectly, drove great, etc. But she wanted blue and all they had was black. Drove the M to humor me, no contest.

Somehow we'd gone out to upgrade my car, and come home convinced to get a CaymanS for her! I got on-line and found some blue cars around the country, she agreed on one in Colorado. I flew out and drove it home for her (4th of July weekend, so I had the time). And she still loves it.

We sold a BMW Z3 to make room in the garage, and I reminded her that we had intended to upgrade my car. She protested money, I pointed out that I get a good allowance at work intended to cover these things (ample for 911 payments) and could afford it regardless (no kids in college!!!). After months of searching and her doubting it would ever happen, or hoping it wouldn't, I found the deal and car with Chris at North Olmstead, and brought it home.

It cost me a bit extra for the first few weeks as she stepped up her clothes and accessories shopping, but I knew that would end as soon as the bills rolled in (she pays them: I earn it, she spends it except for cars). And it did.

So there are elements of many of the above strategies in my story, but really I was just patient with her and she with me. If she had said no, I wouldn't have done it. Well, for a while until she said maybe or "oh, just go ahead" which means no but not fast enough for a guy to register it.

Next, some sport seats for her car, harness and bar, etc. I'll do a couple of DEs this year, and she'll drive my car in one or two as well. Its a good relationship. 30 years.

p-cardriver
Old 01-17-2008, 09:22 PM
ds2k1
Racer

Marty,

I like your story. I actually had an Interceptor 500 my senior year in high school, funny enough. Damn thing got stolen on April Fool's day...I waited for a solid week for a friend to return it while yelling, "Gotcha!"...to no avail - never saw it again. I loved that bike more than I thought I could love any inanimate thing...until the Carrera, that is.

Another thing I had in my favor is that my wife is German. Her parents moved over from Bavaria when they were in their 30s, but the whole family remained very close to the Fatherland. Lusting after another beautiful German object certainly had a bit of romantic appeal for my wife. She's also a sucker for "classics", so it was an easy sell, all things considered. And to get back to someone's "quid pro quo" strategy, and to ensure that my car was never the subject of resentment, I promised to upgrade her diamond earrings every time I "upgrade" my car. I love my wife to death, but she can't negotiate for ****.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:21 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

The first one is easy. Having her agree that you need another Porsche for the track so you don"t mess up the new one.

Priceless
Old 01-17-2008, 10:40 PM
akim47
Racer

haha... these are all great stories... im taking a lil bit of advice from everybody...

i just subscribed to excellence. im just gonna have them lying everywhere around the house.

she likes driving fast, so i will take her on the next test drive... im sure she'll get hooked. i thought about switching her car for a boxster, which would kind of clear the path for me, but it'd probably set my purchase back about 9-12 months... hmm ill think about that...

she knows how obsessed i am in wanting a porsche. i mention it more now, but i've brought it up from time to time over the past 3 years. i think i screwed up when i told her about everything i want to do to it. doh... she had given me a hard time when i had rims, coilovers, etc. on our lexus. for some reason she didnt understand why i'd cut out the fenders on a brand new car.. lol...

big hurdle is she wants to redo some of the things around the house (damn you HGTV!!!!), but i always tell her to hold off... again, quid pro quo strategy would set me back... in the end, maybe not a bad strategy... oh well, im going start planting more seeds and will see how things transpire...
Old 01-17-2008, 11:03 PM
WalkerInTN
Burning Brakes

Being single does have it's advantages.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:04 AM
9elf S
Instructor

Never had to ask. My wife knew I wanted to buy a 911 since we first met. It was a matter of affording one...Oh, and her father has owned a Porsche repair shop for over 30 years. That might of helped a little.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:08 AM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Default It was simple.

I watched my kids (twin 5 yr olds) and took note that when they would whine she would respond and give in to them.

Next thing you know I'm whining and she says get it-doesn't care to hear about it anymore. Here is the dialog-IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED ON E-MAIL.

Sorry about the spelling. Project is not going well. We're not even going
to start conversion of orders/assignments, which will spill into all of
next week in the evenings. They are looking at the architecture to see
if anything can be changed to make it go faster.

<mlindgren162264@
XXXXXX.net> To

08/19/2007 02:17 <LINDGCA@XXXXXX.com>
PM cc

Subject
RE:

It's spelled Porsche

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, August 19, 2007 2:07 PM
To: M Lindgren
Subject: Re:

buy it up. I'm assuming this is a porche.

"M Lindgren"
<mlindgren162264@
XXXXXX.net> To
<lindgca@XXXXXX.com>
08/19/2007 02:05 cc
PM
Subject

I found one on EBay (160148410418)

Best Regards,
M Lindgren

So once I had this as permission I couldn't make the phone call fast enough.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:10 AM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

When I was growing up, I remember my mother and father getting into arguments over cars. My dad always wanted to buy something newer, better, and faster, and my mother wanted to save money. This was pretty much the only thing they argued about. Things came to a head when my mother put down an ultimatum: buy another car, and she'd leave him.

That was at least a dozen cars ago. The two are still happily married.

I convinced my mom that having an automotive vice is much better than having other traditional vices: loose women, booze, horses, cards, etc. Your mileage may vary
Old 01-18-2008, 12:46 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,633 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by akim47
to purchase your first P-Car?

OK OK OK... I know all the manly bs... but for the many of us who answers to the boss at home, how did you get clearance? Yes, I make most of the money in the household, but I entered into a union and don't make light of this fact...

I just sold my Lexus a couple of months ago and bought a new Denali. This was supposed to be for the wife, but she took a different job with an hour commute. So she's stuck driving what's been the daily driver (2004 Accord). I promised that we'd replace her car next, but am tempted to get myself a toy... (plus the new car would get better gas mileage than the Denali)...

Just wondering and thought it'd be interesting to hear all of your comments...

AK
i didn't ask. just drove it home.

Quick Reply: How did you get permission....