How did you get permission....

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 01:05 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's one for you:

I took my wife to PDE (now PSDS) and at the end of the program, driving back to the Hotel in a Lincoln Town car she asked me "Can you buy me a cheap Carrera so I can practice Heel and Toeing?"

One week later she had the X51 package,.... and now I can get any Porsche I want!

Of course, if you take her ice driving Camp 4 etc it helps. You get to meet all the nice people who are really enthusiastic about learning how to drive a Porsche car
Old 01-18-2008, 01:47 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

My wife, knowing full well my dream since childhood was to own a 911. When she was due for a new vehicle we went right to the Porsche dealership. She test drove the Cayenne, fell in love, and we ordered one. I spec'd it out for her. Loaded. It is awesome.

How could she be the one driving the Porsche? It was my dream for 20 years...

A year later there was a 911 Cab in the garage next to the Cayenne.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:52 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 833 Likes on 459 Posts

I actually bought it and had her go pick it up for me since i was out of country! She said it was such a blast to drive on the highway and I think amazed that I let her drive it FIRST and all by herself and trusted her enough (she's had more accidents than I care to count) that she didn't say anything at all.
Of course I as a couple of thousand miles away dying! LOL But she put it in the garage and didn't drive it again or so she says until I got home.

Another tactic if you want to call it that which worked although I didn't do it intentionally JUST to get my Carrera was; I asked her what her "dream car" was...when she said a Mercedes SUV; I looked around until I found one she could afford and wanted and woke her up on Sat and said come one let's go out and took her to the dealer and by noon we left with her truck...well her newer truck! Paid her downpayment (she's too independent to allow me to actually buy it for her) and that was that. Then when I traded for my 997 she was cool....she got her CLK550 what 4 months later for her 40th B-day....albeit 2 yrs early! LOL Hey what's a few years amongst your soulmate?

Now the 08 BMW M3 on order...she thinks I need have a problem and I think is planning an intervention like on that tv show...but so far she hasn't stollen my checkbook or burned my keys yet!
Old 01-18-2008, 05:08 AM
jplanaux
Instructor

Unfortunately my way took time, luck, common sense and patience.

Step 1. Love the car, dream about the car - for a lifetime - express the passion out loud - she (wife) will know (patience and time required) ...
Step 2. While this lifetime is ongoing, accumulate vast quantities of capital (patience, time, hard work and luck are required).
Step 3. Show wife on paper that the Porsche purchase does not have much of an effect on reducing the vast quantities of capital that you have accumulated (common sense, time, and patience are still required at this point).

I did not plan my purchase this way, it just happened this way. In hindsight, my life is better off (financially) having delayed the purchase of a Porsche to a point way later in life.

At this point I don't know how long I will keep the car. I love the car; I love to drive the car; I love to walk away from the car, turn and stare at the beauty of the car. This may seem funny to most of you, but I somehow can have just as much fun looking at the car as driving the car. The car is just fun to stare at.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:44 AM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jplanaux
...but I somehow can have just as much fun looking at the car as driving the car. The car is just fun to stare at.
I think that many here understand that statement! How many times do you check out the car against windows in shopping districts when you drive around? I wish I could see it from outside when I am inside driving it...! many cameras all around!!

This has been a very enjoyable post. Some funny stories to read.
I didnt need too much convincing... I just brought it home! She had seen the mags, she could see the increased p-car activity so she may have known something was cooking... I had done the right thing a few years back and let go a 993 Turbo with 11k miles on the clock so we could get a summer house and boy that was the right decision. Although an 11k mile 993 Turbo is a rare and irreplaceable thing, the house has appreciated twofold, and it was worth a lot more than the car anyway!!!

But this time around when the time was right, I could feel it. And when I came home that evening after a week long conspiracy to buy it, and pick it up after work, I didnt even need to justify it. It was mine! And she gets to drive it around too... VERY occasionally... She was happy.

This P-car bug now will bear fruits for her... You see since I couldnt afford a Turbo (at erm $300k WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT smackkarrooos - yes, that is $300k here in sunny Greece JUST for us guys) it has left me with a desire. So now that it was time to change the school bus, I HAD to get a Cayenne Turbo. An S would have been just fine, more than ample, even a blimmin V6 - its a school bus after all!! But noooooo.... Now that I have tasted the power, it had to be a Turbo. For the missus to drive. Not bad for a daily school run. Roll on weekends pls I have some driving to do...
Old 01-18-2008, 11:07 AM
cag64
Instructor

In my household it was simple, we have three pots:

1.) Her Money
2.) My Money
3.) Joint Account Money (Household)

Bought my 911 with MY Money
Old 01-18-2008, 11:15 AM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

in the end, i think there only a few ways to accomplish this:

1. own the extravangance before marriage;
2. marry someone who loves cars;
3. inherit from loving family member;
4. make so much money it doesn't matter;
5. make so much money and so much more than spouse that you don't care to obtain permission (obviously, not a good recipe for a marriage).

luckily for me, my wife loves cars (and particularly a good exhaust note) and we made the mistake one day of walking into a p dealer. that was October 2006-- since then, we've owned 2 different 911's.

what's even more funny, i was more stressed about getting "permission" from my boss than my wife-- meaning bringing a p-car to work and bringing on all the associated negativity ain't a minor thing (at least in my mind).
Old 01-18-2008, 12:07 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cag64
In my household it was simple, we have three pots:

1.) Her Money
2.) My Money
3.) Joint Account Money (Household)

Bought my 911 with MY Money
In my household:

1) Her Money
2) Our Money
Old 01-18-2008, 02:06 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

What a cool thread. My wife knew from the first time we met I was a car guy. She knew I loved Porsche. I was working when she entered law school and I helped get her through law school financially. This was before we were married. We knew we were getting married, but had not even gotten engaged at the time. Anyway, times were fairly lean, but she maintained that if at any point in her career she made partner she would purschase me a 911. 6 years later she called me one day and asked me to leave work early. It was December and I had nothing going on at the office. She said she would come by and pick me up to go "shopping". To say the least I was surprised when we ended up at the Porsche dealer with her telling me to pick my 911. They actually did not have the car I was looking for that day, but I found one a few days later and had it shipped to me. That was my first one, and I will never forget that day. I think I win!

Last edited by blk on blk; 01-18-2008 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:16 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

Originally Posted by blk on blk
What a cool thread. My wife new from the first time we met I was a car guy. She knew I loved Porsche. I was working when she entered law school and I helped get her through law school financially. This was before we were married. We knew we were getting married, but had not even gotten engaged at the time. Anyway, times were fairly lean, but she maintained that if at any point in her career she made partner she would purschase me a 911. 6 years later she called me one day and asked me to leave work early. It was December and I had nothing going on at the office. She said she would come by and pick me up to go "shopping". To say the least I was surprised when we ended up at the Porsche dealer with her telling me to pick my 911. They actually did not have the car I was looking for that day, but I found one a few days later and had it shipped to me. That was my first one, and I will never forget that day. I think I win!
you lucky bastard
Old 01-18-2008, 03:07 PM
ds2k1
Racer

blk on blk,

Awesome! I agree...you win.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:57 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Thanks! I am one lucky bastard for sure!
Old 01-18-2008, 04:05 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

What a cool thread. My wife knew from the first time we met I was a car guy. She knew I loved Porsche. I was working when she entered law school and I helped get her through law school financially. This was before we were married. We knew we were getting married, but had not even gotten engaged at the time. Anyway, times were fairly lean, but she maintained that if at any point in her career she made partner she would purschase me a 911. 6 years later she called me one day and asked me to leave work early. It was December and I had nothing going on at the office. She said she would come by and pick me up to go "shopping". To say the least I was surprised when we ended up at the Porsche dealer with her telling me to pick my 911. They actually did not have the car I was looking for that day, but I found one a few days later and had it shipped to me. That was my first one, and I will never forget that day. I think I win!
You are lucky, otherwiese, I don't think you will win any argument over her
Old 01-18-2008, 04:07 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

Thanks! I am one lucky bastard for sure!
as for me, i had to go to law school AND pay for the car! (actually, the down payment came from wifey's stash and i'm doing the payments....).

here's a story for ya, when i was buying the 997, there was a guy at the dealer who just took a new job and as part of his signing bonus, his firm was buying him a brand new 997. they turned down my job application ; )
Old 01-18-2008, 04:58 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by THPorsche
You are lucky, otherwiese, I don't think you will win any argument over her

Oh I never win any arguments, but hell I don't care. There is almost nothing in my life worth arguing about at this stage anyway.

Quick Reply: How did you get permission....