Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So, really, what is next? What is the dream car now?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 12:48 AM
rons2112
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 7 Posts
Default So, really, what is next? What is the dream car now?

I have been very fortunate, being able to realize so many of my dreams. But as I reach and surpass each one of them, as you can expect the feeling of satisfaction doesn't stick around very long. Before I know it, I am on to the next big dream, the next stretch goal.

This 997 C2S has been such a big dream of mine for so many years, and the realization of it came to fruition with such velocity, I never really put any thought into the "ok, what's next" question. With every car previous to this one, I always knew what the next logical step would be. And every step up was exponential in my opinion: GMC truck to Mistu Sports car; Mitsu to Boxster; Boxster to Mercedes E class (okay, marginal); and of course, mercedes to 997 C2S.

Now what? This car is definitely more than I will be able to handle for years to come just purely from a drivers skill perspective. And while some would consider the Turbo to be a serious upgrade, for me it would just mean "the same car, just a little faster".

So what then? What is your next dream car? Maybe the answer now is to broaden my thinking a little bit, quit thinking on a linear path, each new car replaces the previous one, and instead start to think about adding cars for specific purposes. For example, using the C2S as the daily driver, but getting an older 993 or earlier and getting it ready for the track. Or maybe in a couple of years when I learn how to drive this car, I go for a serious upgrade to a GT3, or Turbo with Powerkit.

Who knows, I am just curious what everyone else's next dream car would be.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:09 AM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 20 Posts

997 GT3.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:51 AM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Success is getting what you want; Happiness is wanting what you've got.

As for me, I dream not of a new car, but of Spring so that we can make multi-day road trips through the Appalachians and beyond instead of just day-trips within a 100 mile radius. But maybe in a good five or ten years, after I've sucked all the enjoyment I can out of the current ride, I'll look at the next step...
Old 01-14-2008, 07:55 AM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did think about this before buying my 997, because I have tended to get bored with cars after a year or two (around 30k miles) and sell them. So I tried to think ahead a bit. For me, using the car as a DD in a winter state, its hard to come up with a realistic next sports car. I'd love a GT3 or GT2 on those perfect days - but to commute in it in traffic and plow it through snow...I don't think so. Thus I've concluded that the 997S is probably the limit of practical sports cars for me. Which implies the replacement for this car (hopefully several years hence) would be another, with some interest-building mods in the interim.

Otherwise, It'll be something more practical, like a fast sedan, once my back tells me to quit getting in and out of low seats!

And I've learned that this is not a path to happiness, but it is a path to the automotive satisfaction and potentially the poorhouse!

p-cardriver
Old 01-14-2008, 09:37 AM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

For me, it's always been a Ferrari. Right now i'd have to say the F430. Just not sure i'd want to deal with the qwirkiness of one. I think i could easily get excited about a Gallardo too though.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:58 AM
dndodd
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have wanted a 911 since my first 914. Every car I bought was measured how close it got to a 911. I have had my 911(C2S) for over a year and half now and I really don't lust for anything else like I used too. I just Plan to attend the PDE and yes buy my self a truck. I had a Chevy Avalanche in 04 and I miss it.
Other than that the 911 fills all my needs.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:45 AM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 121 Posts

The R8 exists to solve this quandary. Before the R8 the 911 was so alone in it's segment you could hear crickets.

Last edited by Putt-Putt; 01-14-2008 at 10:47 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-14-2008, 10:49 AM
peterm
Racer

great question- usually I'm thinking about the next car soon after buying one, with the c2s, perhaps a little maturity has set in, but now two years in Im still really enjoying this car. Its a daily driver but doesnt go out in the snow/ice. This is carrera # 3 and the only replacement will be when the lease comes due in 15 months. I have learned that the warranty is of paramount importance and i really dont want a euro car beyond its warranty! regrets....no spare makes me think twice about road trips away from home, did get one on ebay and it completely fills the boot.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:16 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Ford GT
Old 01-14-2008, 11:25 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Another 911. I thought when I bought my first one that I would move on to an Aston Martin or used Ferrari or Lambo, but now I'm on my third 911 I've realized that I don't want anything more. I don't want more performance, or more cylinders, or more prestige. I'm just happy with the 911. So my next dream car will probably be another 911.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:39 AM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

For me there is nowhere for me to go with my 997S. Honestly. There is not another car out there that can fullfill everything that this car does for me as a daily driver. Now there is a goal to get something as a toy car so that is still out there, but as a daily driver car I have reached my pinnacle and I could not be happier. I love this car more every time I drive it which is ever single day!
Old 01-14-2008, 12:42 PM
Hauser_III
Racer

The 911 is the end of the dream. I've never had a desire to own a Ferrari or a Lamborghini or anything else beyond a 911, and I can't imagine that I'll ever get that desire. The 911 offers so much performance in a form that can easily be used as a daily driver that it is just about as close to perfection as I could want.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:52 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Murcielago would be nice but I don't see that happening. Lately, I've been thinking about replacing my 1year old 300C SRT8 with a Cayenne...
Old 01-14-2008, 12:57 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Aston (V8 Vantage) or Ferrari (355 or 360). I would love a 430, but I don't see that in my price range for a long while.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:47 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A smaller, lighter, more elemental 911 with a real dry sump engine and truly exceptional engineering and build quality. No fru-fru stuff like PCM/Nav/Wart. No lighted door sills. No electronic nannies. Will never happen.

Quick Reply: So, really, what is next? What is the dream car now?