Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DME printouts on overrevs. Be mindful.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 04:15 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,069 Likes on 750 Posts
Default DME printouts on overrevs. Be mindful.....

This is a followup to another thread which also dealt with a new service advisory calling for an update of the DME unit. Mine was done last week and resulted in the entire DME unit being replaced. Warranty item and quick fix so no big deal.....BUT......if you're shopping for a used 997 and are concerned about previous abuse, be aware that replacing the DME wipes out all the car's history with respect to overrev ranges. Unless you ask for and receive the car's maint. records you won't know it though since everything just resets to zero and starts over.

As they work through this advisory, I for one won't assume my car was the only one that required a new unit. Or you could say that an unknown number of 997's may soon be floating around with useless DME data.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:46 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Sandy do you know what the purpose of the update is and which 997's it is directed at?
Old 01-11-2008, 02:46 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Unless you ask for and receive the car's maint. records you won't know it

Are you certain that a car's maintenace records lists over revs? I'm not saying that you are wrong, but that would be news to me.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:08 PM
ibmiked
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe he meant the maintenance record would indicate that the DME was replaced thereby negating any clean record it gave.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:45 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Thanks for the clarification. That makes sense.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:48 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by fast1
Unless you ask for and receive the car's maint. records you won't know it

Are you certain that a car's maintenace records lists over revs? I'm not saying that you are wrong, but that would be news to me.

Maint. records would indicate if the DME unit has been replaced. That's what I'm saying.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:06 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

I don't claim to understand all the electronics and nomenclature but is the DME separate from the ECU? The reason I ask is that I've been told that over-rev info is stored in some permanent memory area different than the ECU and having two ECU's - one tuned, one stock, won't keep the service guys from seeing over-revs. Maybe one of the techs on the board can add some info.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:46 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I don't claim to understand all the electronics and nomenclature but is the DME separate from the ECU? The reason I ask is that I've been told that over-rev info is stored in some permanent memory area different than the ECU and having two ECU's - one tuned, one stock, won't keep the service guys from seeing over-revs.

All I can tell you is that I saw one range printout prior to the DME swap and one after. The one before had a couple of range 1's and the one after was wiped clean. The tech told me there's no way to access the old data.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:42 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
Sandy do you know what the purpose of the update is and which 997's it is directed at?

They actually call it a "voluntary service directive" and has to do with the speed settings of the purge fan in the engine compartment. So it's not a recall......just done on cars they receive at the shop for other reasons. Applies to all 997 models.

Quick Reply: DME printouts on overrevs. Be mindful.....