Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche's position on Maslow's Hierarchy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
Interesting how this thread moved from Maslow, to von Mises, to Marx, to Hofstede, while touching all kinds of other stuff in between...

Ultimately, different people have different thresholds of financial uncertainty, so I doubt we'll find an agreement on this.

It all sounds very German to me... over there, everybody sticks their noses into other people's business all the time and assumes they have the right to tell the other what they should do, and they get angry if people don't do what they recommended.

I don't think the German way was Marty's or Rick's intention, though. The issues of fiscal responsibility and delayed gratification and need vs want satisfaction (and alike) are relevant topics, particularly given that consumer debt is rated as the second strongest threat to the U.S. economy (ahead of terrorism, by the way).

Most of the people in this forum will never run into any problems paying off their debt and building some kind of wealth. Most wealth components are nonmonetary in nature anyway (e.g., freedom, health, happiness, safety, intellectual growth, etc.).

But we still explain the significance of monetary issues and their impact on monetary and nonmonetary wealth to our business students, even though we'll ultimately leave it up to them whether they follow our advice or not. Most do not, as the rapid increase in so-called $30,000 Millionaires shows. It doesn't matter to me personally, as I have left Germany and its mindset long behind. But one day I might be affected by the macroeconomic implications.
Very insightful. BTW, what the heck is a "$30,000 millionaire"?
Old 01-01-2008, 04:43 PM
pred8or
Racer

This is the exact opposite of RUB. " rich urban bikers" All the hardcore bikers who used to save up there whole life, doing without other needs just to afford a Harley Davidson Motorcycle became very offended when the Harley Davidson name became a status symbol and all the doctors and lawyers started buying them. The real bikers laugh at the RUB spending all the money , dressing the part, paying to have it maintained, and not even put any miles on it!
Old 01-01-2008, 05:00 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rick in Colorado
Very insightful. BTW, what the heck is a "$30,000 millionaire"?
It is a relatively new term used to describe someone who has a low to modest income, but by maxing out their credit cards, taking out consumer loans, and financing a variety of highly visible items (such as high-end cars), they leave the impression as if they were high-income earners. Basically, a millionaire by appearance, not by monetary wealth.

About a month ago, there was an entertaining article in a Dallas newspaper: http://www.dallasobserver.com/2007-1...s-in-the-mist/
Old 01-01-2008, 05:28 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pred8or
This is the exact opposite of RUB. " rich urban bikers" All the hardcore bikers who used to save up there whole life, doing without other needs just to afford a Harley Davidson Motorcycle became very offended when the Harley Davidson name became a status symbol and all the doctors and lawyers started buying them. The real bikers laugh at the RUB spending all the money , dressing the part, paying to have it maintained, and not even put any miles on it!
Yeah, I used to be a RUB. Went through 4 Harleys in 5 years, bought the leather, hung out at biker bars, and finally realized how ridiculous it was to pretend to be something I'm not. If I ever buy another bike it will be a Gold Wing.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:02 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

The tough part is being unfairly classified as a RUB. I've been riding for 35 years and have owned my Fatboy for 14 years. Last year I criss-crossed the US - 6,000 miles 30 days (sans windshield) – back roads all the way. I did to mock honor the 50th anniversary of the national interstate system.

The "hardcore bikers" still like to generalize white-collar types as RUBs even if they themselves are relative newbies to HDs.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Been driving Porsches way before it became stylish to have one. My rules were simple--have my home paid for first and then another Porsche. I'm amazed at the number of apartment and trailer dwellers who drive 997s.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:47 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a big believer in the proposition that you are the world's greatest expert on you! Just as I wouldn't dream of thinking I know best how you should manage your personal and financial affairs. You should do whatever YOU think is best for YOUR situation! Why anyone would waste a millisecond of their time worrying about someone elses's finances are beyond me!
Old 01-01-2008, 08:12 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

Originally Posted by stubenhocker
Why anyone would waste a millisecond of their time worrying about someone else’s finances are beyond me!
Used to be very sound logic, however the sub-prime mess shows how other people's fiscal immaturity can unseat all of our financial well-being. We are most likely headed for a worldwide recession and a large part of it is people living above their means due to the ready availability of consumer debt. So the "it's my business what I do" rings more hollow when it impacts other people who are living more frugally.

This is a societal issue analogous to the obesity crisis. Why should you worry if your neighbor is fat? [Because all of our health insurance premiums are going up at double-digit rates because of it.]

My guess is that 95% of us on this forum are financial secure, but there is a minority of $100K millionaires (the math doesn't work for $30K millionaire to stretch to a Porsche) out there too.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Been driving Porsches way before it became stylish to have one. My rules were simple--have my home paid for first and then another Porsche. I'm amazed at the number of apartment and trailer dwellers who drive 997s.
They're just "visiting."
Old 01-01-2008, 10:38 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

But, I also respect those that have said they want a P-car now, not later.
My thoughts are, on something like a Porsche, if you can't pay cash, you really can't afford it.
I truely enjoy being out with some of the local Porsche owners/friends and have never once given thought or much less cared how each person came to get their cars and what percentage of their income is spent on cars.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:05 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Used to be very sound logic, however the sub-prime mess shows how other people's fiscal immaturity can unseat all of our financial well-being.

My guess is that 95% of us on this forum are financial secure, but there is a minority of $100K millionaires (the math doesn't work for $30K millionaire to stretch to a Porsche) out there too.
And my guess is that every Porsche sold over the past decade could be repossessed without having an impact on your finances or any other individual's finances. Statistical noise in the big scheme of things. I'm also not sure about your method of looking at someone's house to determine whether they're worthy or not of Porsche ownership. I know a guy with two Ferraris in a garage that's attached to a $275K house.......on the west coast of Florida. I also know a physician with a booming private practice who lives in a house that would have to be marketed as a handyman special if he ever decided to sell it.

In other words, maybe your formula needs some tweaking......if this is important to you that is....?
Old 01-02-2008, 06:20 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Wow, I guess it's time for me to sell my car, buy a bicycle and move back in with my mommy until I can afford a car, house, etc. Some of the "financial planners" around here need to lighten up a smidge.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:47 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

When did Rennlist stop being an enthusiast site and start being a place where we gather our male appendages and measure them for all to see on the Internet?
Old 01-02-2008, 10:39 AM
mzn50
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

30,000+ built 911's ... this is now a commodity .. but a nice one at that
Why would we care how our neighbors picked up a car.. good on him/her I say
Old 01-02-2008, 11:59 AM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

Very lively dialogue. As I said in my initial post, this might be controversial inasmuch as it may hit too close to home for some people. Based on the swift counterpoints - it just may have (and maybe that’s a good thing). I was hoping that it might be construed as a cautionary message, but it threw some folks in big-time defensive mode.

Okay villagers, put your torches down - this is my last post on the subject.

Let’s get back to more important topics like whether the CAIs really work or whether 5mm wheel spacers are really noticeable.

I truly enjoy this forum, from the controversial subjects to the crazy/silly technical things that we discuss (I’ve been known to weigh in on CAIs myself).

Quick Reply: Porsche's position on Maslow's Hierarchy?