Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche's position on Maslow's Hierarchy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 12:26 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick in Colorado
Very lively dialogue. As I said in my initial post, this might be controversial inasmuch as it may hit too close to home for some people. Based on the swift counterpoints - it just may have (and maybe that’s a good thing). I was hoping that it might be construed as a cautionary message, but it threw some folks in big-time defensive mode.

Okay villagers, put your torches down - this is my last post on the subject.

Let’s get back to more important topics like whether the CAIs really work or whether 5mm wheel spacers are really noticeable.

I truly enjoy this forum, from the controversial subjects to the crazy/silly technical things that we discuss (I’ve been known to weigh in on CAIs myself).
Cautionary or condescending?

I'd imagine the majority of owners of a car that costs nearly as much as a home in many parts of the country are very aware of the financial responsibility associated with purchasing and maintaining a rapidly depreciation sports car.

Your initial post was nothing more than a slap in the face to the personal financial management of a number of members on this forum followed by a generalization that served as nothing more than a pat on your own back.

Last edited by MrBonus; 01-02-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:10 PM
productnine
Track Day

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

hi guys. i just got my 05 base c2 used over the weekend, but i have been reading rennlist for a little while now, as i searched for my car...

i am a 29 year old designer. i live in a small condo that i am paying for, not renting. i have a roommate thats my best friend, and i dont make anywhere near as much money as most folks on this board. i have no credit card debt. i am the son of an auto mechanic and a teachers assistant, and grew up in a small 900 square foot home in rural north carolina. i waited 23 years of my life to get a 911, and i cannot be more proud.

my choice to get the car was an emotional one, not a financial one. my opinion on this matter at hand, is that if you make the choice to buy/finance/lease a 911 for financial reasons, you will never truly be happy with the outcome. this vehicle is a personal milestone for me, proving to myself that i can do anything if i try hard enough.

it is not a toy to me. it is my only car. it is a part of my existence. i dont care if my friends like it, or if the folks on this or any forum agree with my choices. it is an immense luxury to be able to attain our dreams. after all, we are all here because we have something in common. lets not forget that. lets embrace the heritage and hard work that made our vehicles what they are, and enjoy it together.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:23 PM
malammik
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by productnine
hi guys. i just got my 05 base c2 used over the weekend, but i have been reading rennlist for a little while now, as i searched for my car...

i am a 29 year old designer. i live in a small condo that i am paying for, not renting. i have a roommate thats my best friend, and i dont make anywhere near as much money as most folks on this board. i have no credit card debt. i am the son of an auto mechanic and a teachers assistant, and grew up in a small 900 square foot home in rural north carolina. i waited 23 years of my life to get a 911, and i cannot be more proud.

my choice to get the car was an emotional one, not a financial one. my opinion on this matter at hand, is that if you make the choice to buy/finance/lease a 911 for financial reasons, you will never truly be happy with the outcome. this vehicle is a personal milestone for me, proving to myself that i can do anything if i try hard enough.

it is not a toy to me. it is my only car. it is a part of my existence. i dont care if my friends like it, or if the folks on this or any forum agree with my choices. it is an immense luxury to be able to attain our dreams. after all, we are all here because we have something in common. lets not forget that. lets embrace the heritage and hard work that made our vehicles what they are, and enjoy it together.
You dont have to justify your decision to anyone here. We all know what a great car it is . Enjoy it!
Old 01-02-2008, 02:41 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Talking personal finance on a car forum tells us more about the people speaking then it does about finance itself.

Ask yourself, who are the people that you know that want to talk about their wealth most frequently. Are they the ones you want to spend time with?

Here's to more CAI conversations.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:41 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulation on acheiving your milestone. I think most people here appreciate the car for the awesome refinement that has evolved into it over the years. There are clearly some who choose to use it as a financial measuring stick-sad they feel the need to show it but that's the way some people are.

Now, where are the newbie pics? Hope you enjoy it as much as you thought you would. I actually like mine more as time goes on.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:37 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

I stole mine.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:38 PM
MartyB
Racer

if you make the choice to buy/finance/lease a 911 for financial reasons, you will never truly be happy with the outcome. this vehicle is a personal milestone for me, proving to myself that i can do anything if i try hard enough.
I'm afraid you might have missed most of the point intended by the original poster. I think very few 997 owners chose TO buy their cars "for financial reasons" - these cars are not investments by and large - they depreciate sharply and are relatively expensive to own and maintain. On the contrary, I think Rick was questioning whether some people choose to buy a 997 in spite of compelling personal financial factors against purchasing one. Of course they do. I think that is the buyer who will "never truly be happy with the outcome". We all support aspiring to big things and setting goals, but qualifying for a loan that will exert undue pressure on an individual or a family is not an accomplishment, IMO. Once again, see sub-prime mess. Just because one can does not mean one should.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:24 PM
productnine
Track Day

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

i'm with ya marty... and i agree with you... there's many things i shouldn't have done in life, and i am willing to bet i will happen upon many more of those instances. was this choice one of those? lets hope not!

Old 01-02-2008, 06:05 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBonus
When did Rennlist stop being an enthusiast site and start being a place where we gather our male appendages and measure them for all to see on the Internet?
HERE HERE. I agree.
This thread is a waste of bandwidth and is tasteless.

And while we're talking about our appendages,....here's mine:

Old 01-02-2008, 06:51 PM
MartyB
Racer

Originally Posted by Coochas
HERE HERE. I agree.
This thread is a waste of bandwidth and is tasteless.

And while we're talking about our appendages,....here's mine:
Talk about tasteless . . . sort of funny though
Old 01-02-2008, 07:52 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

"Pity the man that lives poor in order that he may die rich."
Old 01-02-2008, 08:14 PM
malammik
Racer

Aweomse photo Coochas. Where was this taken? Who took the photo?
Old 01-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by malammik
Aweomse photo Coochas. Where was this taken? Who took the photo?
Pic was from Stowe VT. My wife snapped the pic and Icon (Jeff) photoshopped it (i.e. removed the legs from my pants).
Old 01-02-2008, 08:37 PM
malammik
Racer

U're a sick person Coochas. The whole time I was looing at the baloons like an innocent child.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by malammik
U're a sick person Coochas. The whole time I was looing at the baloons like an innocent child.
Yes,.....yes I am.

Quick Reply: Porsche's position on Maslow's Hierarchy?