Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 11:21 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by K964
He got into a pissing match with some chick selling her "artwork" to benefit rennwish. He kept on hammering away and refused to lighten up.
Nicole?
Old 12-28-2007, 11:55 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey Lewis,

Could have been her---I really don't pay that much attention.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:15 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Come back Ben!
Old 12-29-2007, 12:31 AM
MartyB
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ben hammering away and refusing to lighten up?? Nah, that doesn't sound like him.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:02 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Nicole?
yup
Old 12-29-2007, 01:09 AM
9974G
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dD/dt
Too bad. Who else among us could rack up 10,000+ posts, 90% of which were imperious and sarcastic ministrations about using the search feature of this site?

I'm going to miss that.
+1
Seriously, who cares if some noob asks an often asked question? If it annoys you/wastes so much of your time perhaps you need to get a life outside of this website??
Old 12-29-2007, 01:54 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by K964
He got into a pissing match with some chick selling her "artwork" to benefit rennwish. He kept on hammering away and refused to lighten up.
Ben didn't really get into a pissing match with Nicole per se. Nicole, a fellow German and really cool chick, was offering a painting on eBay and stated that any revenues in excess of $100 would benefit Rennwish. Ben, who is also a really cool person, and some other guy then wondered/criticized if she was trying to make a $100 for herself from an otherwise probably not very valuable painting (in terms of market value). That, of course, was NOT Nicole's intent, and because she understood that concern, she changed the auction and donated ALL revenues to Rennwish. AFTER her changing everything, a bunch of others who had missed the initial concerns entered the discussion and starting bashing and putting words into Ben's mouth, and of course Ben (in his low-context wording) fired back. And so on... as usual, things went out of control. Nicole wasn't part of this whole bashing thing, but by now people have figured out how to push Ben's buttons and they did, and Ben is not the kind of guy who retreats, so he got banned.

I hope he comes back soon. I "discovered" Rennlist about 9 months before buying my first Porsche and had tons of questions and issues, and there is no other Rennlist contributor I learned more from than from OCBen.

As I always say: If you stand out, you make an easy target. So there went Ben. And it is certainly not true that - as written here - "90% of (his posts) were imperious and sarcastic ministrations about using the search feature of this site". In fact, that's just another provocation of exactly the same kind that gets these bashing wars started. Twisting statements around, providing generalizations/statistics that are false, and simply not accepting different viewpoints; one of these three is usually responsible for things to get out of control.

Maybe, in 2008, we can all try to be better Rennlisters...
Old 12-29-2007, 07:50 AM
DerivativesGuy
Instructor

Well said Soulteacher. However, the question remains...should there be some concept of three strikes and you are out?

I believe OCBEN has been banned at least 3 times, perhaps more. Makes you wonder if at some point the moderator just needs to step up and keep the guy out for good. He has had many helpful posts but you have to admit that the "do a search" thing has gotten a bit old and there is certainly a pattern of abusive behavior (hence the repeated bannings).

There is certainly alot of animosity to him as this sting demonstrates. This is pretty odd for a message board about cars! Does say something about the nature of his posts and overall likability.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:57 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Ben and I joined Rennlist about the same time (Feb, 2005 and April 2005, respectively) and early on Ben was inquisitive, helpful and funny. After a while his posts became more abrasive and, at times, he would attack other members. There were a few guys that he would badger mercilessly at every opportunity, which was really quite sad. To some, those battles made him look like the neighborhood bully.

There is no doubt that he is very intelligent and "well read" but his interpersonal skills leave something to be desired, IMO.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:05 PM
dD/dt
Racer

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
Ben didn't really get into a pissing match with Nicole per se. Nicole, a fellow German and really cool chick, was offering a painting on eBay and stated that any revenues in excess of $100 would benefit Rennwish. Ben, who is also a really cool person, and some other guy then wondered/criticized if she was trying to make a $100 for herself from an otherwise probably not very valuable painting (in terms of market value). That, of course, was NOT Nicole's intent, and because she understood that concern, she changed the auction and donated ALL revenues to Rennwish. AFTER her changing everything, a bunch of others who had missed the initial concerns entered the discussion and starting bashing and putting words into Ben's mouth, and of course Ben (in his low-context wording) fired back. And so on... as usual, things went out of control. Nicole wasn't part of this whole bashing thing, but by now people have figured out how to push Ben's buttons and they did, and Ben is not the kind of guy who retreats, so he got banned.

I hope he comes back soon. I "discovered" Rennlist about 9 months before buying my first Porsche and had tons of questions and issues, and there is no other Rennlist contributor I learned more from than from OCBen.

As I always say: If you stand out, you make an easy target. So there went Ben. And it is certainly not true that - as written here - "90% of (his posts) were imperious and sarcastic ministrations about using the search feature of this site". In fact, that's just another provocation of exactly the same kind that gets these bashing wars started. Twisting statements around, providing generalizations/statistics that are false, and simply not accepting different viewpoints; one of these three is usually responsible for things to get out of control.

Maybe, in 2008, we can all try to be better Rennlisters...
Thanks for filling in some details.

I should clarify, since my prior post could (apparently) be seen as an attack on OCB. In fact it wasn't. I read a lot more than I post on here, and Ben contributes a lot of useful information. But it would be hard for anyone to argue against the observation that he contributes some of it with sarcasm, and throws in a lot of lectures on RTFM and using the search feature. Still, his delivery is part of what makes this forum more entertaining and lively, and I wasn't being sarcastic at all when I said I'd miss him.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:18 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 158 Posts

Unfortunately, some guys are far more interested in being "witty" in response to a legitimate question (perhaps posed for the nth time) by a new visitor, rather than informative. I say unfortunately because this self-serving behavior really negates what forums like this were designed to do - share knowledge about our cars.
When two or more guys like this get together (see the Cayenne Forum), they can often overwhelm a forum, making any real exchange of info impossible, eventually shutting down all communication except among themselves.
I agree that it's incumbent on all of us to remember that even questions we've all seen a hundred times are worthy of a direct, non-sarcastic answer. The fact that a newbie wouldn't know how to use the SEARCH function should surprise no one, and it certainly shouldn't be worthy of immediate ridicule.
Guys that use forums like this as their own "personal blogs," should be encouraged to join up elsewhere.
I, for one, found most of OCBen's posts to be beneficial. He might have gotten a little impatient with new guys, but I thought he was generally civil. Maybe he just "suffered fools" a little less than some of us. I hope he'll come back.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:36 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DerivativesGuy
Well said Soulteacher. However, the question remains...should there be some concept of three strikes and you are out?

I believe OCBEN has been banned at least 3 times, perhaps more. Makes you wonder if at some point the moderator just needs to step up and keep the guy out for good. He has had many helpful posts but you have to admit that the "do a search" thing has gotten a bit old and there is certainly a pattern of abusive behavior (hence the repeated bannings).

There is certainly alot of animosity to him as this sting demonstrates. This is pretty odd for a message board about cars! Does say something about the nature of his posts and overall likability.
Interesting. Weren't you among those just a few months back that were praising him as the "leader of the board"? Have the mighty fallen?
Old 12-29-2007, 12:38 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 9974G
+1
Seriously, who cares if some noob asks an often asked question? If it annoys you/wastes so much of your time perhaps you need to get a life outside of this website??
Look out! OCBen is undoubtedly following this thread and as soon as his ban is lifted, he will attack!
Old 12-29-2007, 12:44 PM
DerivativesGuy
Instructor

Thumbs up

Leader,

All fair points, but how do you explain the serial bannings? My "nonprofessional" opinion here is that those who feel the need to repeatedly remind others how intelligent they are tend to be the most insecure about their actual intelligence and lot in life. You see this in the playground when you are a kid and you see it here on this board. I actually feel sorry for OC, because he really seems to feel the need to "show off" and put others down. Even after repeated bannings he cant help himself. I think a little dose of self confidence would end this behavior.

In any event, I guess the moderator should note how peaceful and pleasant this board has been for the last several weeks.

Just my two cents.

DG
Old 12-29-2007, 12:48 PM
DerivativesGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911Dave
Look out! OCBen is undoubtedly following this thread and as soon as his ban is lifted, he will attack!
Dave -- this is exactly why the moderator needs to consider a more permanent solution. And yes, you are right, I once hailed OCBEN as the leader of the board. Then i noted with dismay his repeated venemous attacks at newbies and others. I was greatly disapointed in this behavior. Now, as noted above, I think it is just plain sad. Hopefully if he is allowed back, our friend will examine his behavior and the roots of his insecurity and turn the page on the bitterness.

Quick Reply: Is OCBEN banned?