Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 01:22 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by DerivativesGuy
Leader,

All fair points, but how do you explain the serial bannings? My "nonprofessional" opinion here is that those who feel the need to repeatedly remind others how intelligent they are tend to be the most insecure about their actual intelligence and lot in life. You see this in the playground when you are a kid and you see it here on this board. I actually feel sorry for OC, because he really seems to feel the need to "show off" and put others down. Even after repeated bannings he cant help himself. I think a little dose of self confidence would end this behavior.

In any event, I guess the moderator should note how peaceful and pleasant this board has been for the last several weeks.

Just my two cents.

DG
So would a big dose of humility.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:09 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe OCBEN has been banned at least 3 times, perhaps more. Makes you wonder if at some point the moderator just needs to step up and keep the guy out for good.
"Every complex question has a simple answer. And it is always false." Do we even remember the previous two times? Do we remember what went on? Do the names 'Black/Terra' and 'MMD' ring a bell? I remember how Ben stood up for the rest of this forum against these two complete idiots, both of whom were eventually excluded for life. Remember Ben's second "ban"? The other party was banned for life and Ben's ban was immediately lifted by John D. who saw what had happened. We need to quit drawing conclusions if we don't know/remember what went on... that's exactly what happened in the OT when Rennlisters who arrived late drew their own flawed conclusions. Maybe it's because I'm a trained scientist, but drawing conclusions without having all my facts in a row is annoying.

What would help all of us (including me, including Ben, including y'all) is to accept that participating in Rennlist is just like buying orange juice or getting married; different people do it for different reasons, and for different reasons at different times:

- there is the person who is here to seek information... that person, of course, would be annoyed having to dig through 250 search results threads of which 249 answer the same (situationally irrelevant) question.

- there is the person who uses this as a social exchange channel... of course that person could not care less about encountering the same identical question for the 100th time.

- there is the person who uses this forum to let off some frustration and anger... that person will pick fights and provoke easy targets (OCBen is an easy target, as even this very thread shows).

- there is the person who builds their esteem/status by participating in this forum (either by being supportive ["a respected member"] or by bragging and lying and pretending and smart-assing).

There are probably a few more motivations why people come here, but simply accepting that we do have different needs to satisfy is the first step to keep this a warfree zone. Of course it's tough when you get provoked by members of the third group... and this has happened to me before more than once. That's why I'm almost exclusively staying in this 997 forum because for most of the time, this is an extremely smart and civilized and helpful and friendly crowd. And that includes even those people with whom I disagree on the subject matter. Which also means, let's hope that "OCBan" will soon be "OCBen" again... and let's not post cheap shots in the meantime.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:21 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Right on soulteacher.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:29 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
"[I]E
- there is the person who is here to seek information... that person, of course, would be annoyed having to dig through 250 search results threads of which 249 answer the same (situationally irrelevant) question.
Good points you've made, though I would like to offer some comments on the one item quoted above.

Sometimes very useful, helpful and pertinent information may be contained in a thread with a less than obvious title. Example: let's use Ben's excellent and very thorough posting on oil changes and his contributions regarding oil usage and the inherent inaccuracy of our electronic readout for oil level. An "appropriate" question from someone who didn't know anything about the gauge readout variance, might fill with a half quart if the gauge showed 1 bar low and upon checking might see that he/she had actually overfilled--at least per the gauge readout. Searching for "oil gauge readout" might not give the answer.

Another example, I recall John (Leader's) questions about black wheels. Ironically, Lori had just posted up pics of her new "S" with the exact mod that John was looking for. A search on just "black wheels" might not have led him to something so specific. My point is don't assume that just because you know the answer to a question that a new or even "veteran" user does. What's the harm in taking a second or two to post a link that you think answers the question and suggest a search for related links?

Ben's posts are for the most part more than informative and useful. Without benefit of actually talking with him--or anyone else for that matter--in person, inflection or innuendo is difficult to assess via this forum. Easiest solution if someone irritates you is to state your position, agree to disagree, put the other person on "ignore" and move on if it's really bothersome or offensive to you.

Maybe invoke the "golden rule" a bit. Treat others as you would like to be treated. Each one of us was "new" here or on another board at one time.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:47 PM
Rivan
Advanced

I think If Ben got ban permanently will be a sad thing for the 997 board. After all it is his DIY oil change thread taught a newbie like me how to do my first oil change. He just doesn't seen like a unreasonable individual to me.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:59 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rivan
I think If Ben got ban permanently will be a sad thing for the 997 board. After all it is his DIY oil change thread taught a newbie like me how to do my first oil change. He just doesn't seen like a unreasonable individual to me.
The fact that we have now 36 posts and 3 pages about the "ban" is pretty conclusive evidence of his value to this board and its members
Old 12-29-2007, 03:23 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by uzj100
The fact that we have now 36 posts and 3 pages about the "ban" is pretty conclusive evidence of his value to this board and its members
Hey, we may even beat the "Where is Coochas" thread! https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/269417-coochas-on-sabbatical.html
Old 12-29-2007, 03:51 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 203 Posts

While he is controversial, Ben has done a tremendous amount of good in the 997 forum.
We both joined around the same time and he was always extremely helpful to me in my search for the perfect p-car. He also became a good friend in the process.
I have no doubt that he'll be back.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:54 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
Hey, we may even beat the "Where is Coochas" thread! https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269417
I remember that thread Wolfgang! I had gone on vacation and people thought I died or something. LOL.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:57 PM
9974G
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911Dave
Look out! OCBen is undoubtedly following this thread and as soon as his ban is lifted, he will attack!
I'm really scared
Old 12-29-2007, 04:16 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Coochas
While he is controversial, Ben has done a tremendous amount of good in the 997 forum.
We both joined around the same time and he was always extremely helpful to me in my search for the perfect p-car. He also became a good friend in the process.
I have no doubt that he'll be back.
+1, Dave.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:32 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Hey, it was OCBEN who showed me how to do my avatar. The man has great knowledge and I miss his commentary. It's members like him that keep this board interesting.

Jay
Old 12-29-2007, 06:26 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Ben is both an asset and liability to this Board. If he does come back, I hope we get the Ben who adds value to others and not the cyber-bully. Everyone is a noob at some point...no need to be condescending or rude to them unless they disrespect the board. In any event, I think it would be a good thing if he came back with a bit more patience and understanding for others.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:56 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by adfsouth
I think Ben is both an asset and liability to this Board. If he does come back, I hope we get the Ben who adds value to others and not the cyber-bully. Everyone is a noob at some point...no need to be condescending or rude to them unless they disrespect the board. In any event, I think it would be a good thing if he came back with a bit more patience and understanding for others.
+1
Old 12-29-2007, 08:10 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been participating in this forum for over 2 years and have read/agreed with/been upset by/ been skewered by OCBen's posts. He has much good to say, but is often lacking in diplomacy and is unduly aggressive to other posters. Although undeniably intelligent and well educated, he appears to have little ability to improve his negative attitudes and argumentative manner. I wish him luck and hope that this unfortunate mindset does not plague him in his other life.

Quick Reply: Is OCBEN banned?