Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summer Tires in Winter - Observation

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 06:44 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

See this link about my worst commute ever suring yesterday's storm: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...90#post4878690
Old 12-14-2007, 07:34 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My point in this thread was not about us Porsche People - we know the difference between summer / all season / winter tires. It's about the trend. 10 years ago every car in the US came with all season tires. Granted, not optimal for winter driving, but everyone got by with them. Then a few years ago several car companies started making summer rubber standard and those that the cars were intended for probably knew to change to winters IF they drove that car in the winter. For example, you order a BMW 540i Sport and you probably know you are getting summer rubber (vs. all season on the 530i). But today, so many cars are coming standard with summer tires and I'm seeing more issues out there on the road. I think VW has it right with cars like the GTI - either summer or all season, your pick at order.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:35 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Saw dozens of people with no traction yesterday. Interestingly, they were all FWD cars. Could see the front axle spinning away.

Happy to report that the mighty G35x made quick work of 6-8" of unplowed snow. The G has all-season tires.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:59 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dstrimbu
Wow, the Audi is sweet. Gorgeous!
Thanks! It really is a great car! But, it's the thirstiest car I've ever owned. It sounds great, is fast, and has a wonderful torquey V8. It's fast! As far as the A/S's go, I've had them on virtually every car I've owned (except the 996, which has PS2's), and have never gotten stranded in Philly winters, which are generally fairly mild with only light to moderate amounts of snow.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:04 PM
greenie
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dstrimbu
"I'll take Winter Tires for 500, Greenie..." <g>

My "elder" winter car, the BMW 7er, is totally intractable without snows. With the Dunlop Winter Sports, it's a gas to drive. So that old axiom about "BMWs being terrible in the winter because they are RWD" is totally negated by having the correct rubber on the ground... and I'll bet your Xi would be a total joy with Blizzaks.

I will admit that the torque curve of the M30 6-cylinder does preclude heavy throttle applications - even with winter rubber. If you're easy with the throttle, the big ol' beast is a joy to drive in the snow.

It does snow in Germany. A lot.

-don
Don, I wanted to mount Blizzaks on the XI but I have the 335 set up which means 35s on the rear. There are no snows in 35s that I could find. The A/S tires should be OK.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:49 PM
Restless
Rennlist Member

You might check out Nokian. They have a couple 35 series tires in All Season. Continental also has 35 series Snows (with the mountain and snow flake symbol). I have Conti 295/35 x 19 snows on my C2. Only reason not to drive in some of this weather is the excessive use of Salt, due to those drivers that can't drive in snow or know what a snow tire is.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:52 PM
frafoss
Instructor

For maximum safety and enjoyment, there is only one way to go if you have real winter condition. Summer tyres + M+S tyres. Check tests of all season tyres, and you will see they don't function well in either condition. If you invest in a car like this, don't save money on tyres.

In northern Europe its common that all have two tyre sets. You do even get a ticket if you don't follow the rule. This is a must if you have summer and cold winters.

I can also tell that the my 997 C2 is great in winter condition, regardless of snow or ice, with N spec Nokian winter tyres 235/35/19 + 295/30/19. This because of a nice calibrated ESP, good rear traction and balanced car.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:41 PM
ibmiked
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Having dedicated summer and winter tire sets also pays off because each set lasts twice as long. So aside from the second set of rims, you aren't paying 'more' for tires in the long run.

My $.02
Old 12-15-2007, 11:28 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by frafoss
For maximum safety and enjoyment, there is only one way to go if you have real winter condition. Summer tyres + M+S tyres. Check tests of all season tyres, and you will see they don't function well in either condition. If you invest in a car like this, don't save money on tyres.

In northern Europe its common that all have two tyre sets. You do even get a ticket if you don't follow the rule. This is a must if you have summer and cold winters.

I can also tell that the my 997 C2 is great in winter condition, regardless of snow or ice, with N spec Nokian winter tyres 235/35/19 + 295/30/19. This because of a nice calibrated ESP, good rear traction and balanced car.
Agreed. I bought the Bridgestone All Seasons last year and they were slightly below mediocre in terms of performance in the snow. I'm just leaving the summer tires on for days that the roads are clear and driving my truck when the weather is shoddy.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:29 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ibmiked
Having dedicated summer and winter tire sets also pays off because each set lasts twice as long. So aside from the second set of rims, you aren't paying 'more' for tires in the long run.

My $.02
So by buying twice as many tires, you get twice as much wear before replacing?
Old 12-15-2007, 02:11 PM
peterm
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry but the p stays in when it snows, i don't doubt the idea that with winter wheels it would be better and the width of the tires, tread and rubber compound do make a difference. We don't see there being too many track days at lime rock or the glen in the winter. Most events are held when the performance envelope of the cars and tires is maxed. Sure you cvan use it on snnow days but thats why i have an alternative- not just the traction issues there are quite a few other cars out there who dont know how to drive in those conditions and that german sheet metal is mui expensive to fix
Old 12-15-2007, 02:13 PM
ibmiked
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I apologize for my phrasing. What I meant was that using each set for ~6 months a year means that the tires not being used in a particular season are also not accumulating miles and/or wear. Therefore a dedicated winter set and dedicated summer set should last just as long as 2 sets of all seasons.

Hope that clears it up.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:30 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

If you live in an area that gets real snow, then all season tires are a joke.
I find it much more useful to get another set of wheels and buy pure snow tires for winter. Or if you don't want another set, then you can just swap tires on your stock wheels twice a year. If you've never had pure snow tires before...then you're missing out big time.
Tires are they key to winter traction. I'd take a front wheel drive car with snow tires over an all wheel drive car with all seasons any day of the week.

I think it's great that VW gives their drivers the option.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:07 PM
printemps2001
Instructor

Oh, how I enjoyed zipping by all the SUVers struggling with the snow (and wrong tires, I presume) the other day. The car doesn't get many looks around here normally, but you'd d think I had Carmen Electra naked in the passenger's seat from the stares I got driving through the storm the other day.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:49 AM
Chip McCoy
Intermediate

This doesn't need to cost a fortune and over here its required. They just changed the law in Germany to fine you if you are running summer tires in the winter and are involved in an accident. For my '05 C2S I got the 18" Italian OGs, look like the classics, with the Conti TS810S for just under $2000. New wheels from Eurowheels in California, tires from TireRack. Speed limited to 148 and reached that last week on a run to Stuttgart.

Quick Reply: Summer Tires in Winter - Observation