Sponsored by:

Summer Tires in Winter - Observation

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 02:42 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Summer Tires in Winter - Observation

OK, this might be slightly OT, but there are plenty of 997 products out there with oem summer tires that might be on the winter roads.

We had one heck of a snow storm yesterday - white out conditions. About 1' of white stuff... I noticed several "high end" Euro cars that were in tough shape - zero traction. BMWs, some Saabs, Benzes, etc. Yet all other cars (Hondas, Toyotas, etc.) were all moving along just fine. The issue? Summer tires if I had to guess. How many people unknowingly end up with summer rubber on their car because the maker decided to "bump" the performance by putting summers on instead of all seasons? At least VW gives the buyer the option on some cars - "Summer or All Season" is on the option list - no cost change.

Just curious is all...
Old 12-14-2007, 02:57 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here in the Chicago area, Ron. Plenty of Mazda 6es, Mustangs, VW GTIs et al with high performance summer rubber that can't even move away from a stoplight... they are a hazard for everyone else on the road, too.

That being said, when I tell people that I have dedicated snow tires for my BMW and my Porsche, most of them just look at me strangely... :-) American consumers have been duped into believing that snow tires are unnecessary. Of course, on most cars with M&S-rated "all season" rubber (especially fwd cars), this is likely true.

I can't imagine Porsche adding a "all season tire" option to the 911 option list, though. If you can afford this car, you can certainly afford $3k for a set of take-offs and dedicated snows... the real question is: do you know that you need them before it's too late? Yikes.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:03 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Default If these people bothered to read the owners manual

It says that the tires on this car are designed for summer only. They recommend a second set of wheels with winter tires.

Saying the Japanese cars are typically FWD, when a lot of the Euro cars have moved to RWD. I run my stock M+S tires in the winter on my Allroad, as the Quattro makes a bad driver look good.

BTW, In Vancouver we have the same problem. It is a relief to hear that we aren't the only area with stupid people on the road.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:12 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
OK, this might be slightly OT, but there are plenty of 997 products out there with oem summer tires that might be on the winter roads.

We had one heck of a snow storm yesterday - white out conditions. About 1' of white stuff... I noticed several "high end" Euro cars that were in tough shape - zero traction. BMWs, some Saabs, Benzes, etc. Yet all other cars (Hondas, Toyotas, etc.) were all moving along just fine. The issue? Summer tires if I had to guess. How many people unknowingly end up with summer rubber on their car because the maker decided to "bump" the performance by putting summers on instead of all seasons? At least VW gives the buyer the option on some cars - "Summer or All Season" is on the option list - no cost change.

Just curious is all...
My new S4 came with summer tires - there was no option to switch them out, so I ordered and installed A/S for all 5 wheels. The dealer is buying the Conti summer tires from me. Even with AWD, summer tires are very dangerous on snowy/icy/very cold conditions.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:24 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by edward_generation
It says that the tires on this car are designed for summer only. They recommend a second set of wheels with winter tires.

Saying the Japanese cars are typically FWD, when a lot of the Euro cars have moved to RWD. I run my stock M+S tires in the winter on my Allroad, as the Quattro makes a bad driver look good.

BTW, In Vancouver we have the same problem. It is a relief to hear that we aren't the only area with stupid people on the road.
Read? I have to read? C'mon - you mean it's not on TV?
Old 12-14-2007, 03:44 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phil G.
My new S4 came with summer tires - there was no option to switch them out, so I ordered and installed A/S for all 5 wheels. The dealer is buying the Conti summer tires from me. Even with AWD, summer tires are very dangerous on snowy/icy/very cold conditions.
I put a set of winters on my RS4 and I'll remount the PZeros on a set of OEM Titanium package wheels in March or so... I didn't drive my 997S last winter except on clear days of 50* or better. The rest of the time was in my A3 on A/S.

OT: PLEASE PLEASE post a pic of your Northern Blue S4 - I bet it's amazing!!
Old 12-14-2007, 03:56 PM
peterm
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think the fwd vs rwd is a big factor- summer or winter our wide profile tires will have inherently less traction. The porsche wasn't designed for winter- the tires stick better when its warm and with our ground clearance with any accumulation the front ends acts as a very expensive plow
Old 12-14-2007, 04:08 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
Up here we know a thing or two about snow and ice. We call 4 season tires "no season tires" since they are inferior to summer tires and pretty much useless on real snow and ice.

My DD has 4 seasons which I change to winter tires for the snow/ice season. I left my car for a routine inspection this AM. The coutesy car they lent me has a seasons. I could not believe how little traction I had compared to my "real" snow tires.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:17 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by peterm
i think the fwd vs rwd is a big factor- summer or winter our wide profile tires will have inherently less traction. The porsche wasn't designed for winter- the tires stick better when its warm and with our ground clearance with any accumulation the front ends acts as a very expensive plow
But Peter, Porsches _were_ designed for the winter. They are tested extensively in cold climates. Check out downtown Munich in January - there are 996s and 997s everywhere... and they are all riding on mandated snow tires.

The tire width isn't the big issue - the lack of snow-grabbing sipes in the ultra-high performance tires is the issue. Also, the rubber chemistry of the summer tires is flat wrong <haha> for low temp use.

My 911 is a spectacular snow car - as long as the white stuff isn't deep enough to lift the front end off the ground.

-don
Old 12-14-2007, 04:29 PM
greenie
Advanced

Originally Posted by dstrimbu
But Peter, Porsches _were_ designed for the winter. They are tested extensively in cold climates. Check out downtown Munich in January - there are 996s and 997s everywhere... and they are all riding on mandated snow tires.

The tire width isn't the big issue - the lack of snow-grabbing sipes in the ultra-high performance tires is the issue. Also, the rubber chemistry of the summer tires is flat wrong <haha> for low temp use.

My 911 is a spectacular snow car - as long as the white stuff isn't deep enough to lift the front end off the ground.

-don
DING! The tires are the most important issue aside from the drivers ability to avoid getting stuck. The drive configuration is second in that order. My 07 328XI with summer tires would do me no good in the snow. As you have stated, the make-up of the summer tire compound lends itself to higher temperatures and relatively dry roads. My 04 A8L with Blizzaks can climb trees but with the Pirelli summer tires its a disaster waiting to happen.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:50 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by peterm
The porsche wasn't designed for winter- the tires stick better when its warm and with our ground clearance with any accumulation the front ends acts as a very expensive plow
Huh? Have you ever been to Germany in winter?
Old 12-14-2007, 04:51 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
OT: PLEASE PLEASE post a pic of your Northern Blue S4 - I bet it's amazing!!
I've posted these elsewhere, but here are a couple of pics. Color is really beautiful!
Attached Images   
Old 12-14-2007, 05:02 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks Phil... amazing. And your P-car is my favorite color for that, too...

Back on-topic - my next Porsche will be a 4-seasons car. It costs too damn much to NOT drive it year-round.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:06 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Wow, the Audi is sweet. Gorgeous!
Old 12-14-2007, 05:13 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by greenie
DING! The tires are the most important issue aside from the drivers ability to avoid getting stuck. The drive configuration is second in that order. My 07 328XI with summer tires would do me no good in the snow. As you have stated, the make-up of the summer tire compound lends itself to higher temperatures and relatively dry roads. My 04 A8L with Blizzaks can climb trees but with the Pirelli summer tires its a disaster waiting to happen.
"I'll take Winter Tires for 500, Greenie..." <g>

My "elder" winter car, the BMW 7er, is totally intractable without snows. With the Dunlop Winter Sports, it's a gas to drive. So that old axiom about "BMWs being terrible in the winter because they are RWD" is totally negated by having the correct rubber on the ground... and I'll bet your Xi would be a total joy with Blizzaks.

I will admit that the torque curve of the M30 6-cylinder does preclude heavy throttle applications - even with winter rubber. If you're easy with the throttle, the big ol' beast is a joy to drive in the snow.

It does snow in Germany. A lot.

-don

Quick Reply: Summer Tires in Winter - Observation