Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summer Tires in Winter - Observation

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 02:01 PM
prwdmd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So... can summer tires can lose traction easily on DRY pavement if temps are in the 30's or lower? I've driven mine around on several occasions when it was in the 20's but dry and didn't seem to have a problem. Although, I was not doing any spirited driving at the time.

Peter
05 997 C2S Black/Black, PCCB
Old 02-04-2008, 03:05 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by prwdmd
So... can summer tires can lose traction easily on DRY pavement if temps are in the 30's or lower? I've driven mine around on several occasions when it was in the 20's but dry and didn't seem to have a problem. Although, I was not doing any spirited driving at the time.

Peter
By all means. After driving on them a bit they will warm up and not be so greasy but if it is overcast or a spot in the road that gets no sun watch out!

Old 02-04-2008, 05:35 PM
rmillnj
Racer

Originally Posted by prwdmd

Peter
The danger is if you have to do an emergency manuver or push it a bit too hard in a corner or entrance ramp. In the lower temperatures those summer tires will never heat up properly. And when they do let go, there is no easy recovery. Straight line easy driving on a cold winter day will be no problem, but can you guarantee the unexpected won't happen?
Old 02-04-2008, 08:06 PM
orbiter
5th Gear

I was warned by my dealer, it is not recommended to use my OEM PZeros in temperatures less than 40 deg. They are especially dangerous while braking in cold temps. So I just leave the 997S in the garage and drive my Audi S6 with Blizzaks. I think they are the best. They are exceptional on icy surfaces as well as slippery, slushy or snow. But you don't wanna use Blizzaks on warm pavement. It will waste them away.

Quick Reply: Summer Tires in Winter - Observation