Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summer Tires in Winter - Observation

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 02:01 PM
yell03
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 158 Posts

I just bought a 2007 911 Targa 4 with the optional Turbo rims and 305/30/19 rear rubber.

Unfortunately there are no all-seasons in that size and I want to have that security of being able to drive it in case an unexpected snow happens while I am at work.

I've been told 295/30/19s will fit fine and if that's the case, there are many options available.

I don't want a second set of rims, I like the way the Turbo rims look, but I also don't want to spend $2000 for a spare set of rims.

Any experiences????

I just traded my 2007 Z06 in on the Porsche, 2 weeks ago I got caught in unexpected snow and talkk about white knuckles.

Howard
Old 02-02-2008, 03:46 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Howard, if it is a true daily driver, in PA, you should 'spring' for the winter set (pun intended ). Use ebay or classifieds here (join to see) to get a set of 18" winter wheels and fit with proper winter tires. Some other posters have noted that this set up will let you extend the life of your summer rubber thereby (in some small way) paying for themsleves (partly). Yeah, i know, but look its a p-car, you pay to play.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:54 PM
yell03
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cello
Howard, if it is a true daily driver, in PA, you should 'spring' for the winter set (pun intended ). Use ebay or classifieds here (join to see) to get a set of 18" winter wheels and fit with proper winter tires. Some other posters have noted that this set up will let you extend the life of your summer rubber thereby (in some small way) paying for themsleves (partly). Yeah, i know, but look its a p-car, you pay to play.
I hear that, but right now I feel like I overextended myself already.

It is not truly my foul weather daily driver, my inlaws go to Florida for most of the winter and leave us their Lexus SUV and we have the Navigator.
However, the one snowfall hit while they were back and I was in my Z06.

My 16 year old daughter has a Mustang GT, but that does not do me much good in the snow.

I feel a nice set of all seasons on the Turbo rims as insurance would not be bad if my regular tires need replacing anyway.

Howard
Old 02-02-2008, 05:59 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by dstrimbu
But Peter, Porsches _were_ designed for the winter. They are tested extensively in cold climates. Check out downtown Munich in January - there are 996s and 997s everywhere... and they are all riding on mandated snow tires.

The tire width isn't the big issue - the lack of snow-grabbing sipes in the ultra-high performance tires is the issue. Also, the rubber chemistry of the summer tires is flat wrong <haha> for low temp use.

My 911 is a spectacular snow car - as long as the white stuff isn't deep enough to lift the front end off the ground.

-don
++

All true!
Old 02-02-2008, 06:01 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by yell03
I hear that, but right now I feel like I overextended myself already.

It is not truly my foul weather daily driver, my inlaws go to Florida for most of the winter and leave us their Lexus SUV and we have the Navigator.
However, the one snowfall hit while they were back and I was in my Z06.

My 16 year old daughter has a Mustang GT, but that does not do me much good in the snow.

I feel a nice set of all seasons on the Turbo rims as insurance would not be bad if my regular tires need replacing anyway.

Howard
Howard,
There really aren't any appropriate all season tires for the 997. For your car to perform like a Porsche, it requires 'summer' rubber.
You should also consider that winter tires are not just for snow, they are formulated to work significantly better in temps below 40F. At theswe lower temps summer rubber gets hard like a hockey puck and can get you in the cucka-bush.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:23 PM
rmillnj
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 2007 911 Targa 4 with the optional Turbo rims and 305/30/19 rear rubber.

Unfortunately there are no all-seasons in that size and I want to have that security of being able to drive it in case an unexpected snow happens while I am at work.

I've been told 295/30/19s will fit fine and if that's the case, there are many options available.

I don't want a second set of rims, I like the way the Turbo rims look, but I also don't want to spend $2000 for a spare set of rims.

Any experiences????

I just traded my 2007 Z06 in on the Porsche, 2 weeks ago I got caught in unexpected snow and talkk about white knuckles.

Howard
Just out of curiousity, did the selling dealer warn you about summer tires and the need for winter tires. I can't imagine a reputable salesmen/dealership selling a Porsche in the dead of winter and not at least warning you about the need for winter tires.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:01 PM
yell03
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Coochas
Howard,
There really aren't any appropriate all season tires for the 997. For your car to perform like a Porsche, it requires 'summer' rubber.
You should also consider that winter tires are not just for snow, they are formulated to work significantly better in temps below 40F. At theswe lower temps summer rubber gets hard like a hockey puck and can get you in the cucka-bush.
Funny you should mention those points.
Today I got on it full throttle and traction control kicked in, the tires must suck in cold weather to break traction with AWD.
I turned the TC OFF and sure enough the car actually can break traction and require slight driver correction in cold weather with the summer tires.

Originally Posted by rmillnj
Just out of curiousity, did the selling dealer warn you about summer tires and the need for winter tires. I can't imagine a reputable salesmen/dealership selling a Porsche in the dead of winter and not at least warning you about the need for winter tires.
Yes they told me that with the summer tires you could have 1000 wheel drive and all they will do is spin in slick conditions.

The tires seem OK in the cold, but I would not use them in snow.

Howard
Old 02-02-2008, 07:17 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

The tires seem OK in the cold, but I would not use them in snow.
This is because they warm with use and the rubber softens. On sunny, dry, warmer (mid 40s days) you will not have a problem (unless driving like W Rohl of course). But all it takes is a patch of cold wet pavement at the wrong moment, etc..... Better safe than sorry unless you (1) can guarantee no wet or 30s while out and (2) have the luck of the Irish
Old 02-02-2008, 08:59 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the snow tires are a "no cost option", since you will not be using the summer tires while they are on
Old 02-03-2008, 01:11 AM
rmillnj
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just do like I have done for my Porsche and also for my Audi's - find a good set of used rims either here or on ebay and mount your winter tires on them. If you look around you can always find a decent set of rims and save some money. I would recommend trying to find a set of OEM rims before I go the after market route. I got a set of brand new S4 rims for my Audi for only $400. They should have been selling for more like $1200. I know when you are driving a Porsche you are supposed to have money, but if you are like me, you need to find those bargains that do exist out there.

In the end you will save money with winter tires - well, maybe not spend so much. Winter tires seem to last longer because you tend not to drive as hard in the winter. And it saves mileage on the summer tires.

Your C4S with a good set of winter tires is a little tank in the snow. You did buy it to drive, right?
Old 02-03-2008, 08:38 AM
yell03
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rmillnj
Just do like I have done for my Porsche and also for my Audi's - find a good set of used rims either here or on ebay and mount your winter tires on them. If you look around you can always find a decent set of rims and save some money. I would recommend trying to find a set of OEM rims before I go the after market route. I got a set of brand new S4 rims for my Audi for only $400. They should have been selling for more like $1200. I know when you are driving a Porsche you are supposed to have money, but if you are like me, you need to find those bargains that do exist out there.

In the end you will save money with winter tires - well, maybe not spend so much. Winter tires seem to last longer because you tend not to drive as hard in the winter. And it saves mileage on the summer tires.

Your C4S with a good set of winter tires is a little tank in the snow. You did buy it to drive, right?
That was a great response:

I know when you are driving a Porsche you are supposed to have money, but if you are like me, you need to find those bargains that do exist out there.

To enjoy the good big things in life many of us have to search out those deals on the extras in life.

For those with a 7 figure income this might not apply, but for your average Porsche owner who believes you can't take it with you, you gotta save money somewhere.

I am a High 6 figure income guy, $9999.99 per year

Seriously, I would love to find an extra set of Turbo rims already mounted with All-Season Radias for around $2000.

I don't want to buy a different style rim for the winter though.
That is why for next season the cost effective approach is just to mount all-seasons on my current rims if I can't find and extra set of Turbo rims for a decent price.

Howard
Old 02-03-2008, 11:25 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Porsches are raced on snow. And with southern Germany being about the same latitude as the Canada-U.S. border, you can bet that these cars are made for all seasons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvcrd...eature=related
Old 02-03-2008, 11:56 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Actually, there is normally very little snow in Germany because it really doesn't get that cold here. We get the gulf stream here and in the winter it is generally a low of 30 to 35 F with a high of 40 to 45F ( in January) but it rains almost EVERY day. It is true that in the southern part of Germany it gets a little colder but even then the ground is normally too warm for snow to accumulate. Snow accumulations can occur more in the Sauerland mountains ( 1000 to 1500 feet) and north enough to still get a lot of moisture ( fog is more the problem than snow). In any cas even without snow as mentioned by others the summer tires begin to get scary below 45F. Bye the way, winter tire are required in Germany as of two years ago. Have an accident in the winter without them and it is your fault! The NRW area is at the same lattitude as Montreal , I believe, but the NRW area is much, much milder ( and rainy)
Old 02-03-2008, 01:02 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

I drove my C4S to work last Friday in an ice storm with "summer tires". I did take it easy without any problems. I will go with 18" Porsche wheel knock off's and Continental winter tires to be safe. It looks like it will cost me about $1000 for the wheels and tirerack has a close out on Conti winter tires in my size for about $800 plus shipping. Not cheap but good insurance.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:06 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
My new S4 came with summer tires - there was no option to switch them out, so I ordered and installed A/S for all 5 wheels. The dealer is buying the Conti summer tires from me. Even with AWD, summer tires are very dangerous on snowy/icy/very cold conditions.
My son has an S4 and he told me the consequences of summer tires in the winter. I had service done at a Porsche/Audi dealer and requested an S4 as a loaner.
Weather was OK that day, the next day light snow and I barely made it into the office 10 miles away. I was all over the road, on the S4's Summer tires.
My 997 was used on a 38 degree day and turning rapidly at a light, I skidded into the oncoming lane barely missing another vehicle. My P-Zeros had 6K miles and were in excellent shape.
My S is in the garage whenever the temp is below 40.
My 964 and 76 S both had all season tires, with no problems in the snow..

Quick Reply: Summer Tires in Winter - Observation