Sponsored by:

Champion Motorsports - Lowering Springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 05:52 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Champion Motorsports - Lowering Springs

Gents - Anyone have any experience in getting the dealer installed H&R lowering springs? I bought the car here in FL at Champion, and for $1,350 installed, they will put in the springs. This seemed like pretty good bang for the buck. The advisor on the phone said that it not only obviously improves the looks, but that even for a street driver (which mine will be), it dramatically imprves the handling characteristics, and takes away that "floaty" feel we get at speed on the highways at times. As always, I am turn to my fellow rennlisters for the real deal feedback. Thanks much
Old 12-11-2007, 06:05 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I don't have H&R, but I have Techart in my car

and they do improve the lightness in the front end. I also didn't find the ride was compromised at all. I would say go for it, I am sure that some people will caution you about going this way as it will shorten the life of the factory shocks, but if the dealer is doing it, I would think that they would cover it if any problem occurs.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:23 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I had H&Rs on my 997S - they were great. $1350 does sound steep though... I think I paid something like $900 for the springs, install and alignment.

As mentioned, the ride quality felt the same to me, but much more planted, nice drop, etc. Do it...
Old 12-11-2007, 06:24 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Thanks plus, its a lease, and the dealer said that it would not void any warranties at all. Also, I will turn the car back in at 36K miles anyway, and the shocks should still be amply strong. I know its probably atad overkill for main street driving, but what the heck, for 90K, I should really enjoy the ride to the fullest.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:25 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

yeah I am probably getting hit with the "dealer" premium...however, since its a lease and I want the coverage, I think I'll pay the premium and get the peace of mind that I did not go to some independent that screwed it up.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:56 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Alternative opinion... You have to be kidding about the "floaty" feel or improved handling for the street. I've been turning 1:02 laps at Lime Rock and 2:15s at Watkins Glen in my stock 997S with the PASM suspension just as it comes from the factory.

Get any guarantee in writing -- Several 997S owners have gone with lowering springs, blown shocks because the PASM shocks were valved to the oem springs, and of course Porsche refused to cover the repair - why would they? If Champion is willing to cover them, that's great - but again, I'd get it in writing to protect yourself.

Understand that if you go down another inch, you are going to scrape on driveways, bumps, etc. I already do with OEM ride height - can't imagine with -1".

Believe me, I'd love to have a lowered PASM suspension - especially for my track driving (50% track, 50% street on my 7600 miles).

How many thousand miles do you have on the car that you aren't happy with the handling / suspension? Have you asked the dealer to re-align? If you are under 2000 miles, they can do it under warranty if you complain that it feels "off" (it's a known issue - many / most 997 products come from the factory with messed up alignments). Once mine was realigned, it felt much better on the road.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:10 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RonCT
Several 997S owners have gone with lowering springs, blown shocks because the PASM shocks were valved to the oem springs, and of course Porsche refused to cover the repair - why would they?
I had min blow when lowered, Porsche did replace them under warranty, turned out to be a power issue within the car. As for rubbing, I only had problems with the lower plastic spoilers in front of the front wheels, I was reshaping them one corner at a time.

I say lower it, you won't be disappointed.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:10 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RonCT
Several 997S owners have gone with lowering springs, blown shocks because the PASM shocks were valved to the oem springs, and of course Porsche refused to cover the repair - why would they?
I had mine blow when lowered, Porsche did replace them under warranty, turned out to be a power issue within the car. As for rubbing, I only had problems with the lower plastic spoilers in front of the front wheels, I was reshaping them one corner at a time.

I say lower it, you won't be disappointed.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:27 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

The Champion springs are repackaged H&R springs; I'm pretty sure they're identical to the H&R springs that everyone else - including me - has on their cars. I say go for them; they're popular, zero maintenance, look great, and perform well. That you'll have zero warranty concerns is a bonus.

I'd recommend getting the car aligned again after the springs have a thousand miles or so; they tend to settle and affect camber and toe. Ask Champion to throw the second alignment for the $1350.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:43 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

thanks NK not too much overkill for mainly street driving? that is, I like to drive, and drive fairly aggressively around town...will the new springs help with poerformance on that level>, or are they mainly for the track? I would imagine that perhaps I can't even truly get that much performance on the street stock stock, with PASM, let alone the spring enhancement. I am trying to avoid spending $1,350 for "looks "alone. Thoughts?
Old 12-12-2007, 03:28 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by cole328
thanks NK not too much overkill for mainly street driving? that is, I like to drive, and drive fairly aggressively around town...will the new springs help with poerformance on that level>, or are they mainly for the track? I would imagine that perhaps I can't even truly get that much performance on the street stock stock, with PASM, let alone the spring enhancement. I am trying to avoid spending $1,350 for "looks "alone. Thoughts?
Don't know if it'll help you turn the city corners any faster but I've got the same springs you're getting and have nothing bad to say about them.......except, just lately I've started to hear a faint metallic thump when I go across a bump in the road. Haven't had time to look further into this but I will, starting with a call to Champion. Got 10K miles on the car.......about 7K with the springs.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:05 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Trust me on this... I was in the Black run group with my E46M3 and when I got my 997S, I realized that my M3 at 10/10 was about equivalent to the 997S at about 7.5/10. Even driven extremely aggressively, the 997S bone stock is incredibly competent - so much that you would never experience 8/10 of it's potential on the street regardless of how hard you tried. After 1 track season with the 997S, I feel like I am at 9/10 and have recorded consistent 1:02 laps at Lime Rock to give you an example of a short and very technically challenging track.

My personal opinion - you may never find the handling limit of the car. Yes, you can make the tail end come out (I have yet to do so), you can toss the car around (don't know why you would), but it's not because the car is at or beyond it's limit - it's because you would not be driving it properly (smooth and deliberate is fastest).

Again, how many miles do you have in the car? Are you convinced the car needs help? Have you had the alignment checked?
Old 12-12-2007, 08:26 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Ron- as mentioned, car is brand new, wth only 500 miles, so I am not going to anything until the car has at least 1,500 miles and everything has settled Also, nothing at all appears wrong with the car it handles nicely, the aligment appears great (traks straight, steering wheel perfectly level, etc., I just thought I would maximize the handling by changing the springs. Plus, the appearance is an added bonus. As always, you guys give balanced, opposing views, and something to think about.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:37 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Cole, RonCT is correct. I track my car as well and the stock suspension is fine, especially for street use. The only reason I would change my stock suspension is to get more camber out of the front wheels for tire wear issues at the track. Lowering changes the camber but the best way is to use GT3 control arms.

Lowering the car does make it look nice but I have to believe that Porsche has the shock valving tuned for the stock ride height with the stock springs. There have been reports of stock shocks blowing out in 10,000 miles on lowered cars. I have never driven a lowered Carrera but would love to compare the handling diferences at the track. Lowering the car for track use and getting the center of gravity down has to have some benefits.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:14 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cole328
thanks NK not too much overkill for mainly street driving? that is, I like to drive, and drive fairly aggressively around town...will the new springs help with poerformance on that levels
Mike's and Ron's points are well taken, but I maintain that the 997 subjectively feels better with lowering springs because there's reduced dive, squat, and lean. They're great for street use; the car will feel more buttoned-down around your favorite onramps. Whether that difference is quantifiable - or worth $1350 - is up to the driver. I think it is.

Quick Reply: Champion Motorsports - Lowering Springs