Sponsored by:

Champion Motorsports - Lowering Springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 06:16 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
Mike's and Ron's points are well taken, but I maintain that the 997 subjectively feels better with lowering springs because there's reduced dive, squat, and lean. They're great for street use; the car will feel more buttoned-down around your favorite onramps. Whether that difference is quantifiable - or worth $1350 - is up to the driver. I think it is.
...and this is excatly why I want to try this mod out...I am sooooo curious about this. Ever since I put R-comp tires on and race brake pads I get a lot of dive in the hard brake zones at Sebring.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:05 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Some day when I feel my car is "maxed out", I might try PSS, where you get springs and PASM shocks that are matched and lower. As to squat and dive - I just don't see any problem with oem and believe me, I've pushed the car every which way. Perhaps I don't mind the tiny bit of movement because it's so much more planted than my E46M3 was. I also recognize that street driving is more forgiving than if I tightened up the suspension. I drive 50/50 track and street, and I'm not even ready to give up the street-oriented ride height or compliant ride. If I want to firm things up, I can just press the PASM Sport button
Old 12-12-2007, 07:25 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ron,

Thinking the same thing! I've hear nothing but good reports on the PSS9 "Damptonic" coilovers. This is the best way to have both worlds!!!

I know FBL has them. They also have the pure Cross coilovers which disable PASM, but turn it into a real true track monster with all the avalible adjustments to refine the way the car handles on a specific track.

One of these days, I'll be doing the PSS9's just to have both PASM and height adjustment without worry of blowing the shocks.

FBL also refuses to install H&R springs just because of repored shocks failing over to sport mode.

Deanski
Old 12-13-2007, 10:03 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Sandwedge Thanks for the advice pls keep me posted on whether there are any issues with the springs and the shocks / combo with the PASM some of the guys on here are making me nervous with the "blown" shock combo Since we both live in S Fl, I am also going to Champion if I have it done Thanks
Old 12-13-2007, 10:13 AM
andrewdr
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I just got my car back from Orbit who completed by suspension modifications:

GT3 sway bars
GT3 Cup Control Arms
Strut Braces
Bushings
JRZ Shocks
Eibach springs
Agressive alignment
Other miscellaneous items

Car is amazing, while at Moroso this weekend Orbit will dial the car based on my input. It handles better than expected, looks incredible. Cant wait to put my cup tires on and run Sebring in January.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:41 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by andrewdr
I just got my car back from Orbit who completed by suspension modifications:

GT3 sway bars
GT3 Cup Control Arms
Strut Braces
Bushings
JRZ Shocks
Eibach springs
Agressive alignment
Other miscellaneous items

Car is amazing, while at Moroso this weekend Orbit will dial the car based on my input. It handles better than expected, looks incredible. Cant wait to put my cup tires on and run Sebring in January.
WOW, nice upgrades for handling that's for sure! Did you do both front/rear for the GT3 parts? Which bushings did you go with?

Thing must now handle like a knife edge!!

Deanski
Old 12-13-2007, 04:18 PM
andrewdr
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Deanski,

No bushings in rear GT3 Control Arms, Front GT3 Control arms have rubber bushings for some absorption. The front camber is -3 and the rear is -2.5 no toe. Car is stiffer than stock GT3 and feels great on the highway and is easily bearable on the city streets.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:34 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,024 Likes on 727 Posts

pls keep me posted on whether there are any issues with the springs and the shocks / combo with the PASM some of the guys on here are making me nervous with the "blown" shock combo
Just got off the phone with Champion. They basically dismiss the idea that lowering springs on PASM cars are causing shocks to go bad as nonsense. "We've installed hundreds of spring sets and never heard of any such issues". As for the noise coming from my suspension they're thinking it's an adjustment thing.......like something that needs to be tightened up. We'll see. I'll bring the car in the next week for a road test and go from there.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:48 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

champion's perspective has to be put in context-- the roads in florida are nearly perfect and smooth compared to most of the rest of the country-- particulary in the northeast. also, in florida, unless people are tracking their cars, most people don't encounter enough windy roads (every turn is a 90 degree red light) to put wear/tear on their suspensions. i would imagine premature shock wear has to be proportional to road-surface quality and road dynamics. which explains why fbl (in ct) is so adamant about that issue.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:55 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Sandwedge pls post again after your meeting I am seriously considering the spring mod to my car as previously mentioned, and since we'd be dealing with same dealership, appreciate your perspective and experience Thanks chief
Old 12-13-2007, 10:39 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by andrewdr
Deanski,

No bushings in rear GT3 Control Arms, Front GT3 Control arms have rubber bushings for some absorption. The front camber is -3 and the rear is -2.5 no toe. Car is stiffer than stock GT3 and feels great on the highway and is easily bearable on the city streets.
NICE!

One of these days.... PSS9's/Damptronics, GT3 arms, and a few other suspension mods.

Deanski
Old 12-14-2007, 03:48 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,024 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by cole328
Sandwedge pls post again after your meeting I am seriously considering the spring mod to my car as previously mentioned, and since we'd be dealing with same dealership, appreciate your perspective and experience Thanks chief
Sure thing. So you know though.....I'm on the west coast now so I'll be taking the car to Suncoast in Sarasota rather than Champion. Should still get an objective take on what's going on. The service manager at Suncoast is a great guy.......always worked honestly with me on the few issues I ever had.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:53 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Sure thing. So you know though.....I'm on the west coast now so I'll be taking the car to Suncoast in Sarasota rather than Champion. Should still get an objective take on what's going on. The service manager at Suncoast is a great guy.......always worked honestly with me on the few issues I ever had.
Suncoast is great so please let us know what they say about the use of lowering springs on a 997S.....thanks!
Old 12-14-2007, 08:13 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

thanks sandwedge, and agree with drums please keep me posted also, with those springs, for street driving, did you end up changing the recommended tire pressure of 39R / 33F to something different? For now, I have been sticking with the book recommended pressures.

Man, just looked at the car...while I LOVE it, I would almost get the springs for the lowered look only....I really hate wheel well gaps in cars......plus, the tight handling would be the added bonus.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:43 AM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Suncoast is great so please let us know what they say about the use of lowering springs on a 997S.....thanks!
Suncoast installed the springs on my car 18 months ago. Parts matched Tire Rack prices on H&R springs, and service quoted me a set time and price for installation and alignment. They said they had installed dozens of sets of H&R springs on 997s with zero problems. Like any other aftermarket part, they said that if a problem arose, warranty would cover it unless it was proven that the springs caused the problem.

Personally, I'm not that concerned about a busted shock or PASM unit; if that happens, I'll buy a proper shock-and-spring setup like PSS, JRZ, or Moton.

Quick Reply: Champion Motorsports - Lowering Springs