Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone regret buying a base carrera?..

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 05:29 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

I'd have to disagree. I have a base car...which I'm fine with, and will probably get another...but the top end of the S has noticeably more power when driven back-to-back.

Regarding brakes, the limiting factor is the tires. There shouldn't be a noticeable difference with regards to braking feel or distance between the two cars. The S's larger brakes are to help dissipate heat and reduce the possibility of fade.

Wolfgang, any interesting Porsche- or car-related things to do in the Shreveport/Bossier area? I'll be there on business for the next few months.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:22 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
but the top end of the S has noticeably more power (...) there shouldn't be a noticeable difference with regards to braking feel (...) any interesting Porsche- or car-related things to do in the Shreveport/Bossier area
Okay, the top end power I would not know as I have been behaving (it's been 11 months since my last ticket [traffic school] and I'm trying to make the whole year).

My brake perception may be off because I drove my other car for a month in-between the Porsches...

I will send you a PM with my email address. We definitely need to get together. I'm leaving for Mexico on Thursday, but will be back sometime next week.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:58 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I stepped up and bought the "S" No regrets and never looked back. Love the look of the red calipers, I am one of the few that actually likes the PASM, and I like the extra torque. However, the thing I like best is the B&M SSK that I installed...this should simply be standard equipment on any p-car.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:06 PM
968PORSCHE
Instructor

Don't forget that the "S" has a harsher suspension. Good for lap times, not as good for comfort if it is a DD.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:29 PM
rfedele
Racer

From the Feb '08 Excellence, page 6 "Commentary" (I think written by the editor - Pete Stout):

"...I prefer today's plain 997 to its S counterpart. When it comes to 997s, the one that still impressed me the most is the silver Carrera coupe stripper... The Carrera S's torquier 3.8 is nice, but the base's 3.6 is sweeter and more than powerful enough in the lightest of all 997s.... the Carrera old-fashioned suspension and 18s are, in my experience, superior in terms of predictability and feedback."

If you're after the "Porsche experience" - feel and driving pleasure, the base car is the better car. If shaving a couple of 10ths from your lap time and/or 0-60 is your goal and you don't mind paying an extra $8K (at the expense of the above), get the S.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:47 PM
pred8or
Racer

This has been a very interesting thread. I was considering a C4s with heated seats (yep only option I want) . Now I am considering a C4. Aside from the engine, pasm, and brakes which have already been discussed , what about the clutch? I read the S models is self adjusting? Anyone have an opinion on this difference?

thanks
Old 01-03-2008, 03:20 AM
Vegas
Intermediate

I have a C4 and love it. I toyed with buying an S, but the widebody was more important to me than a few 10ths(I don't street race) and the C4S was a little out of my price range. My advice is to drive every model and decide what's most important to you. Here's mine...
Attached Images  
Old 01-03-2008, 06:58 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, I don't think there is better or worse, but just different choices for different owners. Porsche virtually provides a rainbow of 997 models (from 3.6 997 to GT2) to fit everyone of us, and picking a 997 model is like picking a color from the rainbow, there is no better or worse but just different.

With best regards,
- Alex 07 997S.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:48 AM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my "base" C2,I was able to put a Coil-over(like the 04 GT3) and corner balance it.An extra 30hp for 3100lbs is not a big deal and i don't like PASM.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:22 PM
Kevin K
Instructor

I bought the base C2 cabriolet (arctic silver) and have no regrets. The small difference in horsepower meant nothing to me and I wasn't going to even drive this car to its limit.

I added the Bose and the CD changer and with the mp3 capability in the dash CD and the interfaces now for the iPod, the changer wasn't really needed. I added the power seats and heaters (both good) and the headrest crest (for no real reason) and the self dimming mirrors. I also "wasted" some money on getting the full leather seats because I just didn't like the look of the plastic seat backs.

The one option I passed on that perhaps I regret were the bi-xenons. At the time I ordered the car, a set were stolen out of a relative's car, so given that and the dislike I had for them when they are aimed my way, I passed. Given that they getting more common place now and that I don't hear many theft issues around here (DC/Maryland area), I would have added those although most of my driving is not on back country roads at night.

Enjoy your car!

Kevin
Old 01-05-2008, 03:16 PM
dndodd
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have no regrets for buying an a C2S over C2. I drove them both. Actually made an offer on a C2.

But I am so glad I didn't so I wouldn't feel compelled to come on this thread to defend my decision.

It is funny that nobody seems to have to defend themselves for buying an "S" over the base car. I think that pretty much says it all.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:39 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Both are wonderful cars. I say we put this thread to bed...were all lucky bastards for getting the opportunity to own a modern 911.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:31 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Default +10...

especially since I am the one that started this thread....
Old 01-05-2008, 08:00 PM
rfedele
Racer

Originally Posted by dndodd
But I am so glad I didn't so I wouldn't feel compelled to come on this thread to defend my decision.

It is funny that nobody seems to have to defend themselves for buying an "S" over the base car. I think that pretty much says it all.
I didn't post here to defend myself, but rather to educate my fellow rennlisters in hopes they wouldn't waste the $10,300 difference and end up with a lesser experience (of course with the caveat I've mentioned here before - if a couple of tenths matter more than the feel get the S).

Every expert (and no I don't mean myself or anyone else here) who has discussed it prefers the base car. The writers in Excellence magazine, the Japanese hot shoe on Best Motoring (thank you Coochas), Walter Rorhl, Hurley Haywood are the few I can think of off the top of my head.

The engine is sweeter, the suspension better, the driving experience is superior and you get to keep your $10,300.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:02 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

yes, but a) you don't get the cool red calipers, b) the unqiue "s" badge, and c) the much maligned egomanical, bragging rights.....:-)

Quick Reply: Anyone regret buying a base carrera?..