Sponsored by:

Anyone regret buying a base carrera?..

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 12:07 PM
TX996
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C2 vs. C2S - only regret

Was getting drug into another "I was right and you were wrong thread"...

I regret and love everything depending on the day and the circumstance.

With the car if you think you are going to regret it , don't do it. I guess it is kinda like getting married. I knew it was time to get married only when I could not imagine my life without my girlfriend (now wife who is also a total car freak which is a good/bad thing).

It also depends on the circumstance. I bought my C2S with lower milage for an 05, full leather and tons of features. I paid WAY less than the dealer was asking for used C2 models and I got mine certified from the previous owner. I would have never paid more for a C2 than a C2S. But then again there are probably folks out there that would pay more for a C2 than a C2S because that is how they feel.

Sometimes I think it is hard to look to a computer and people in a forum for validation.

Dogs have it right most of the time... if it feels good...do it... if it does not...walk away or bark at it, see what happens.

I am sure my C2S is down in the parking lot depreciating as fast as it can, my wife is getting older and so am I. but they both feel good and I catch myself starring at my car and know it was right for me... because no matter how I told myself that I could by a Cayman S for WAY WAY less and it was mid-engined and I love that, and it looked cool that I kept looking at the C2S and knew it was for me (well Turbo and GT3 are great but cannot get a GT3 for less than a stupid markup and Turbo is EXPENSIVE).

It felt good...so I did it.

Can't do it with everything but on this one, on this day.

Woof...

Enjoy man...don't buy one 'till it talks to you (meaning the car and if you do not know what that means that is ok... drive a few and it will happen) and you can stop turning back and looking at it as you walk away from it. If you don't love it like that then $1k a month or more if you ain't buying it probably ain't worth it and no one here can give you that feeling.

Buy one, drive one, we'll see you out there....
Old 12-06-2007, 12:49 PM
rfedele
Racer

Originally Posted by Alstoy
Ron, Rfedele, & Others,

While we are on the subject-I've got a C2 with lobster 19s. I plan to test drive a C2 with 18s. If I see/feel a big difference I will change out to 18s. I don't track or drive aggressive but, do enjoy tottering around town in my lowly C2. What are the best 18s to get-wheels & tires? Is there a significant handeling difference 19 vs 18? Cheers.
I have the Carrera III wheels which I think are the only factory 997 18s. They are lighter than the lobsters. As far as tires, I have had PS2, Pirelli and Contis. I am in the minority on this, but I like the Contis. Call wheel enhancement when you are ready. I'm sure they'll have carrera III take offs and they advertise a special on Conti 18 tires takeoffs with less than 50 miles. You should be able to get a great deal.

As far as handling difference, my only gripe with the 19s (which were wider) is that they seem to follow road imperfections and I could feel the car "pull" into say a groove in the road. i just don't get that with the 18s.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:46 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Alstoy
If I see/feel a big difference I will change out to 18s. Is there a significant handeling difference 19 vs 18?
I go back and forth between lobster fork 19s with Pirellis (daily set-up) and standard Carrera 18s with Continentals (track days and days/weeks after when I'm too lazy to switch them back) on a base C2 without PASM. Around town and in the canyons, the ride, handling, and steering feel between the two is almost identical to me. They are very subtly different, but only when driven immediately back-to-back. I agree with rfedele above that the wider 19s tramline a bit more.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:27 PM
ryssyr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tmc
IMHO, if you're looking to lease-- instead, search a little and buy (w/loan) a nice CPO'd, used C2. That way, it's already taken the initial hit. Drive it for a year. If you don't like it, sell it and likely you will lose less than the $$ you would have thrown away on a lease, plus you will be able to get out of it and into another car.
this is good advice. I really recommend you not lease if you can avoid it. My base c2 is a 05 and I still love driving it! I have tracked the car and it was just as good as a friends c2s in the hands of a novice driver like myself. My next 911 is going to be a gt3rs, but i will keep this one as well.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:39 PM
Track Day

love my 2007 997 C2. W/19s, cargraphic springs, and GT3 sway bars. It handles better then the C2s. EVO SC winter of 08.

Last edited by 2007997; 12-06-2007 at 10:55 PM.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:02 AM
rfedele
Racer

Originally Posted by 2007997
love my 2007 997 C2. W/19s, cargraphic springs, and GT3 sway bars. It handles better then the C2s. EVO SC winter of 08.
I think you may have missed the point of the poster's question.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:09 PM
colonel
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I go back and forth between lobster fork 19s with Pirellis (daily set-up) and standard Carrera 18s with Continentals (track days and days/weeks after when I'm too lazy to switch them back) on a base C2 without PASM. Around town and in the canyons, the ride, handling, and steering feel between the two is almost identical to me. They are very subtly different, but only when driven immediately back-to-back. I agree with rfedele above that the wider 19s tramline a bit more.
Does the car feel slower acceleration with 19"
Old 12-07-2007, 01:45 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

19s aren't going to make the car feel slower. Perhaps it is theoretically, since the 19s are slightly heavier...but such minor variables as fuel tank level, driver weight, and ambient temperature are more significant.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:56 PM
colonel
Advanced

I used to have a BMW, and went from 17" to 18". The wheels were heavier, and it definitely felt slower off the line.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:07 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

If you had a 318i, sure. If you had a 760i, you should apply for the open seat at McLaren.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:32 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

I agree with Alan-I am going off to throw out the passanger seats and loose a few pounds. And as far as temperature it's 80 in Dallas today so I could loose a few more pounds by not wearing the suit. Wonder if there's a way to throw out the stupid sports chrono.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:03 AM
John NY-Naples
Racer

For what this is worth, I originally intended to purchase a C2 cab. Once I started selecting various options, the price difference between a C2 and an S became negligible. I figured I'd go with the S, since I could get more hp for a few more bucks. I just ordered a C2 cab tip for my wife's 40th birthday. I asked her if she wanted the S, and she said no, and asked me "why would I want an S?" I told her more hp, and she rolled her eyes, and began discussing colors.

As for the difference between the two, when I went to the Porsche Driving Experience in April, we started off driving a C2 on the track. It had a ton of power, and handled beautifully on the track. The second day, we drove the S, and there was a notable difference in the acceleration, and in particular, in pulling out of the turns. I'm pretty sure you would not notice the difference on street driving, but on the track . . .

In any case, they are all great cars, whether you have a base, S or any other. Heck, I have a '91 964, which I love to drive, sometimes more than my S.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:56 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 826 Likes on 456 Posts

AM happy with my C2 base and have had much fun modding it.. IF I had to do it again...would probably have spent the $7k difference for the CPO 997S the dealer had on the lot since it was an 06 and my 1st choice color; BLACK and black BUT hey that is life and I love my "silver bullet" all the same.

Now if I was a serious track junkie...then probably would definately go the S route but for a daily driver or weekend toy...the base if fine for me! To each his own.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:41 AM
DerivativesGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by John NY-Naples
For what this is worth, I originally intended to purchase a C2 cab. Once I started selecting various options, the price difference between a C2 and an S became negligible. I figured I'd go with the S, since I could get more hp for a few more bucks. I just ordered a C2 cab tip for my wife's 40th birthday. I asked her if she wanted the S, and she said no, and asked me "why would I want an S?" I told her more hp, and she rolled her eyes, and began discussing colors.

As for the difference between the two, when I went to the Porsche Driving Experience in April, we started off driving a C2 on the track. It had a ton of power, and handled beautifully on the track. The second day, we drove the S, and there was a notable difference in the acceleration, and in particular, in pulling out of the turns. I'm pretty sure you would not notice the difference on street driving, but on the track . . .

In any case, they are all great cars, whether you have a base, S or any other. Heck, I have a '91 964, which I love to drive, sometimes more than my S.
I did PDE alst year. Hurley Haywood told me it was extraordinarily unlikely that a non-professional driver could tell the difference between acceleration of S vs non S in ordinary/spirited driving. He said people "think" they can tell but most really cant. Even on the track he said most non pros cant really tell the difference (ie, lap times dont vary at all)
Old 01-01-2008, 04:09 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John NY-Naples
I'm pretty sure you would not notice the difference on street driving
Originally Posted by DerivativesGuy
extraordinarily unlikely that a non-professional driver could tell the difference between acceleration of S vs non S in ordinary/spirited driving (...) People "think" they can tell but most really can't.
Even though I'm just an n=1, I have to completely agree. Coming off the S, I don't feel any sort of hp difference; if anything, the S felt faster because I usually had the top down. The only major difference are the brakes; now, those are better on the S and it is clearly noticeable.

Quick Reply: Anyone regret buying a base carrera?..