Sponsored by:

Anyone regret buying a base carrera?..

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 10:05 PM
46and2
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver
I like as few options as possible as well except when it comes to acceleration and handling.

I would rather have the bigger engine (C2S) with no options than a loaded C2, but that's just me.
I agree completely. I went with the 335i BMW instead of the 328i for the same reason.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:36 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

S with X-51 = just drove it cross country and it was great in the "GT" role - yet on some of the "fun roads" it showed it's "Porsheiness"...

Base S over highly optioned Standard any day of the week for me...
Old 12-01-2007, 08:53 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver
I like as few options as possible as well except when it comes to acceleration and handling.

I would rather have the bigger engine (C2S) with no options than a loaded C2, but that's just me.
I agree completely. I went with the 335i BMW instead of the 328i for the same reason.
I also agree.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:58 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The base 997 is a great car, in fact I'm gonna pick up a 997c4 tip for my wife one of these days.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:01 PM
Vegasguy
Intermediate

Default Anyone regret buying a base Carrera?

Originally Posted by cole328
I am looking at getting back into a Porsche, and found an interesting deal on a BLack Carerra, non-S. It stickers at $82,000, is very well optioned (i.e.,19" carerra wheels, xenon headlights, BOSE stereo, 6-speed, etc., and lease payment would be $1,390/month for 36 months, 15K per year. Two main questions:

a) Does that sound like a reasonable lease payment for this car?
b) Am I going to regret not spending the additional cash to get the CarerraS?

My main regret is that I won't have the red calipers and the nice "S" badge on the rear lid, but that is more of a psychological issue to me. (i.e., that I would be envious of seeing the "S" badge on passinmgs cars...)

Any thoughts, as always, would be welcome
I have a Lexus RX-330 SUV (I also have a P-Car, so don't stop reading yet :-) A couple years ago, when I wanted to buy the RX-330, I talked myself into "saving" $12,000 and bought a Toyota Highlander, believing that it was "basically" the same car. I hated that Highlander from the first day (although mechanically it was fine). So much that the very day the next year's model Lexus arrived at the dealer, I bought one right of the truck. Cost me another $20,000. My point is this, I recently bought a 2008 Carrera S (My first P-Car. I ordered it). I LOVE, LOVE my C2S. Probably for the reasons you are wondering about. My neighbor has a base Carrera (no options) which I'm sure is a very fine Ride, but it just can't begin to compare with my C2S, if for no other reason than the little bit better "pride of ownership." (Not to mention the technical differences). Believe me, if you have even the remote idea that it will bother you not having the "S", it will. Continuously for a very long time.
Hope this helps in your decision.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:09 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

... just cant begin to compare...pride of ownership... ?

When you spend enough time in both C2 and C2S you realize that the are almost exactly the same car. The only time you can appreciate the C2S is on the track in the advanced run groups when the engine and brakes come into play. They never do on the street and in fact the C2 is the better "street car" due to the suspension and 18" tires. As to the pride of ownership - how can you not be happy with a C2 unless ego gets in the way?

I get what I want and not what others or the market place want me to buy. If I were not using my car on the track, I would have a C2 and be thrilled every time I take it out and not care one iota what others think. Note, I ordered my C2S without a badge - people behind me on the highway or track will just have to guess what sort of Porsche I have

But as Vegasguy suggests, if it's going to bother you...
Old 12-01-2007, 04:59 PM
rfedele
Racer

Originally Posted by Vegasguy
My point is this, I recently bought a 2008 Carrera S (My first P-Car. I ordered it). I LOVE, LOVE my C2S. Probably for the reasons you are wondering about. My neighbor has a base Carrera (no options) which I'm sure is a very fine Ride, but it just can't begin to compare with my C2S, if for no other reason than the little bit better "pride of ownership." (Not to mention the technical differences). Believe me, if you have even the remote idea that it will bother you not having the "S", it will. Continuously for a very long time.
The performance differences between the two are negligible and the C2 has a better ride, a better driving experience, better power delivery (even if there is less power). Unless you're going to race it (which many here do and I respect that) the C2 is the better option.

The problem with the speed argument is what do you do when a turbo, gt3, corvette or some other faster car shows up? Sulk and be envious?

Your point on options is silly, as both cars can be had with the same options.

If its about ego and pride - go get a Ferrari.

As I said above I went from an 05 C2S to an 07 C2 and don't miss the C2S. Additionally, the C2S was well optioned and I realized I didn't need most and actually didn't want some.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

2006 911 Carrera S Cabriolet 997 320
BASE Porsche Base Model
98 Non-Metallic Paint to Sample
V5 Brown Top
TG Sand Beige Full Leather
P15 Power Seat Package
680 Bose High End Sound Package
342 Heated Front Seats
982 Supple Leather Front and Rear
M6C Cocoa Floor Mats
XSC Porsche Crest in Headrest
498 Delete Model Designation
267 Self Dimming Mirrors
451 Makassar Str Whl Multifctn
801 Makassar Package
XJT Rear Ctr. Console Makassar
XTT Door Finishers Makassar, Dark
XNG Instrument Surround in Leather
XMP Lthr Sun Visors Lighted Mirror
XTG Inner Sill Parts/Release-Lthr
2493 Exterior Color to Sample
789 997 Paint To Sample
670 Navigation for PCM
X54 Stainless Steel Exhaust Pipes
CDT Seat Belt Buckles Leather
CFS Belt Outlet B Pillar Makassar
CUL Windstop W/"Porsche"Lettering
CUV Storage Cmpt Lid W/Model Logo
CZD Interior Light Cover Leather
DAA Interior Pkg A Pillar Leather
EAB Makassar Package Switch Panel
The great thing about ours cars is that there are no two alike. When I go to porsche related events its a lot of fun to see how everybody has outfitted their cars.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:15 PM
skier8dude
Advanced

Like others, I used my "S" money and got the cab....More than enough car for me right now....
Old 12-01-2007, 09:33 PM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just picked up my C4S cab and cannot think of having any less power. I know I am comparing it to the GT3 but I wanted a cab and felt the need for a bit more power and the sport exhaust doesn't hurt either.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:15 PM
dndodd
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I disagree with everyone here who says the stock C2 rides better than a C2S with PASM.

BS.

I have driven them both, my C2S with PASM rides better than my wifes Audi S4 and the C2 I test drove.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:32 PM
Mark1996
Rennlist Member

Hey dndodd: Were the C2's you drove on 18 inch or 19 inch wheels? I have a C2 with 18 inch wheels and it has a good ride. I would imagine that the best ride would be on 18 inch wheels with the PASM option.

Can anyone tell us how a C2S with 19 inch wheels compares with a non-PASM C2 with 18 inch wheels in terms of ride quality?
Old 12-02-2007, 06:10 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

There is no oem C2S (PASM) that rides better than a C2... period. The combination of the traditional suspension and 18" tires trumps PASM and 19s every time. I will say my C2S with 18s is a much better ride and actually allows me to play with Sport suspension setting on the PASM.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:51 PM
dndodd
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark1996
Hey dndodd: Were the C2's you drove on 18 inch or 19 inch wheels? I have a C2 with 18 inch wheels and it has a good ride. I would imagine that the best ride would be on 18 inch wheels with the PASM option.

Can anyone tell us how a C2S with 19 inch wheels compares with a non-PASM C2 with 18 inch wheels in terms of ride quality?
r

18". I agree 18" on a C2S probably would be a good ride, improved ride quality over 19's

That is what I was comparing. I think the C2S rides better than a Non PASM C2. Comparing cars, both with PASM the one with 18's should ride better on the same tire spec.
I always assumed most C2 came w/o PASM although it is an option but standard on the C2S.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:57 PM
rfedele
Racer

Originally Posted by dndodd
I disagree with everyone here who says the stock C2 rides better than a C2S with PASM.

BS.

I have driven them both, my C2S with PASM rides better than my wifes Audi S4 and the C2 I test drove.
IMHO you are wrong, I've owned both. I drove both cars with 2 different brands of tires, so I don't think that accounts for my opinion.

I will say the C2S w/PASM and 18s was consistent with the C2, in terms of ride quality. I didn't want PASM simply because I never used sport mode and felt it was one more thin that might break.

Quick Reply: Anyone regret buying a base carrera?..