Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

May be is our roads, not the PASM?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 12:45 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question May be is our roads, not the PASM?

Like many of us, I feel that the PASM Sport setting on my 997S (with 19" wheels) is too harsh, thus I never use it.

However, last weekend I was driving on a section of freeway that was newly constructed & paved. Boy oh boy, I had a new found enjoyment of the PASM Sport setting. In PASM Sport, the car was more stable at the same speed than I used to drive, and the rear of the car didn't have that little floating movement feeling (if other 997 owners know what it means.)

I suddenly realized that nowadays most of our roads are not in very good condition... the surface is not even, smooth, or level. There are also a lot of cracks, potholes, and debris. It suddenly occurred to me that may be it is our roads too rough, not the PASM?

Given a good road, the PASM Sport / 19" wheel combination really shines. It gives me more solid and stable feeling of the car, especially in higher speed straights and turns.

Did anyone have a chance to experience the same?

With best regards,

Last edited by axhoaxho; 10-30-2007 at 02:52 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:50 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 222 Likes on 111 Posts

yup.

That's what we get when road contracts go to the lowest bidder instead of using a performance spec.

That, age, neglect ... and when they do repair the roads it is such a half assed job. Uneven, bumpy etc. etc.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:27 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It is our roads, and our tracks... 19's are just a bad idea no matter how you look at it, but add them to bad roads and the ride is punishing for no reason.

18s on PASM in normal is a wonderful ride, and in sport is fantastic. Whenever I have my 18s on heading to the track I marvel at the combination and wonder why Porsche marketing did this to us.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:44 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
It is our roads, and our tracks... 19's are just a bad idea no matter how you look at it, but add them to bad roads and the ride is punishing for no reason.

18s on PASM in normal is a wonderful ride, and in sport is fantastic. Whenever I have my 18s on heading to the track I marvel at the combination and wonder why Porsche marketing did this to us.
+1
Old 10-30-2007, 10:10 AM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh yeah, on a smooth road, it's Heaven. On a bumpy road, it's Hell.
Isn't there a middle ground? :-)
Old 10-30-2007, 10:59 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Because it looks good and Porsche chose to keep up with silly aesthetic trends among all premium sports cars.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:13 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dstrimbu
Oh yeah, on a smooth road, it's Heaven. On a bumpy road, it's Hell.
Isn't there a middle ground? :-)
Yes. It's called Purgatory...
Old 10-30-2007, 11:25 AM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Nice. I should have paid more attention in Catechism class; thanks for the reminder, Chef. :-)
Old 10-30-2007, 03:23 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
yup.

That's what we get when road contracts go to the lowest bidder instead of using a performance spec.

That, age, neglect ... and when they do repair the roads it is such a half assed job. Uneven, bumpy etc. etc.
Chris you know They only award those performance spec road contracts to the GTA.....

Old 10-30-2007, 05:17 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

even with putting on about 1.5-2k miles/month, i have sport on 90% of the time. only time i switch to normal is when driving on city streets (and even with that, i switch to normal only on the worst potholed or cobblestone roads-- westside hwy is all sport mode). otw, i think there's too much motion in normal mode in everyday driving. then again, i even think sport is a bit too soft at higher speeds.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:53 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Chris you know They only award those performance spec road contracts to the GTA.....

The only roads built to a performance spec I know of are the 407 which was constructed by a private consortium. Our governments are unlikely to go that route because it costs more in the short term. No gov. thinks longer than 2-3 yrs.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:26 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
The only roads built to a performance spec I know of are the 407 which was constructed by a private consortium. Our governments are unlikely to go that route because it costs more in the short term. No gov. thinks longer than 2-3 yrs.
Our benevolent provincial government appears to loose focus on just about anything beyond the GTA. Road condition and construction is only one manifestation of their collective myopia.....

Old 10-30-2007, 07:32 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 136 Posts

It's easy to get spoiled on most Western European roadways. It's because the cars CAN go quite fast that they have to make them so good. In the USA with arbitrary numbers like 55, 65 and 70 to keep the traffic in check the roads don't need to be that great,--apparently.

One advantage of ordering a cabriolet this time was that they are reportedly 40% less stiff than the coupes. The theory is that cabriolet owners don't want a competitive chassis set up. With sport on it is just too much. I usually click on SPORT and then punch off the suspension. Probably 90% of my driving is that way.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:47 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Our benevolent provincial government appears to loose focus on just about anything beyond the GTA. Road condition and construction is only one manifestation of their collective myopia.....

****** are back for another 4 yrs.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:04 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I couldn't disagree more with this assessment. PASM sport with 19's is the best setup available on the 997 in my opinion. Want a stiff ride? Drive my bone stock '86 Carrera with stock 16" wheels. The 997 in sport/19" rides like a Cadillac by comparison. I turn on sport mode as soon as I start the car and turn it off only temporarily when I encounter a particularly bad stretch of road. Anything less stiff would not be adequate.

Quick Reply: May be is our roads, not the PASM?