Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspended license

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 12:53 PM
171mph
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK I had the hearing. I went with a lawyer who charged a flat $2000. He has lunch every other Friday with the judge who heard my case.

Outcome: 1 month suspension and 11 month probation (meaning if i get a ticket the license gets yanked no questions asked).
The original indictment was for 6 months suspension. So i saved 5 months but my insurance is still going to skyrocket.

Live and learn. Now i just save all my speeding for the track. Oddly enough I find it rather calming sitting in the middle lane watching all the youngsters speed by while I sip my tea and listen to classical radio. But highway on and off ramps are still fair game....
Old 11-06-2007, 01:19 PM
997, esq
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like a pretty good outcome. If you don't mind me asking, about how many hours did the lawyer spend on your case. Maybe I should quit defending corporations and start defending Porsche drivers...
Old 11-06-2007, 01:40 PM
171mph
Racer

Originally Posted by 997, esq
Seems like a pretty good outcome. If you don't mind me asking, about how many hours did the lawyer spend on your case. Maybe I should quit defending corporations and start defending Porsche drivers...
It was a joke - he hade $2000 for what i estimate was about 45 minutes work. 20minutes on the phone doing the hearing and 25 minutes meeting with me beforehand.

I basically paid for his connection to the judge.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:04 PM
997, esq
Racer

That's too bad re the $2k. I hope the connection with the judge helped. If they were really close friends, I would think the judge would be obligated to recuse himself. At any rate, it's done and it seems like you had a pretty good outcome. Clearly, being able to drive for 6 mos is worth $2k. It seems pretty exorbitant, though, considering what was involved...
Old 11-06-2007, 02:53 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

One month is nothing,--compared to the alternative. Consider the $2k well spent,--and don't even think otherwise. Now let the young kids go get pulled over!

Last edited by Edgy01; 11-06-2007 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:58 PM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 171mph
I basically paid for his connection to the judge.
Something about this strikes me as being pretty darned unethical on the part of the lawyer ... it's been years , though, since I took the MPRE so who knows.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:04 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

All is fair in love and war! Ooh-Rah!

Time to invest on a V-1, 171mph.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:49 PM
997, esq
Racer

You're assuming that his supposed "connection" is the reason for one month suspended. Might not be the case... Might have happened anyway. I don't like the way the guy seems to have sold his services. It's one thing to say that judge so and so knows me and trusts me. It's another to suggest that a judge will go easier on a client because he's friends with a lawyer.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:07 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 997, esq
You're assuming that his supposed "connection" is the reason for one month suspended. Might not be the case... Might have happened anyway. I don't like the way the guy seems to have sold his services. It's one thing to say that judge so and so knows me and trusts me. It's another to suggest that a judge will go easier on a client because he's friends with a lawyer.

I totally agree with you, right up until I need a lawyer
Old 11-06-2007, 09:41 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

How much of the $2K to the judge? My guess is 1/2. Money can sure make problems go away Good outcome regardless.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:29 PM
dgcate
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 171mph
OK I had the hearing. I went with a lawyer who charged a flat $2000. He has lunch every other Friday with the judge who heard my case.

Outcome: 1 month suspension and 11 month probation (meaning if i get a ticket the license gets yanked no questions asked).
The original indictment was for 6 months suspension. So i saved 5 months but my insurance is still going to skyrocket.

Live and learn. Now i just save all my speeding for the track. Oddly enough I find it rather calming sitting in the middle lane watching all the youngsters speed by while I sip my tea and listen to classical radio. But highway on and off ramps are still fair game....

I'm right in there w/ ya brother. Mine was just reduced to 4 mos. probation. If I stay clean, it'll be dismissed. Hopefully, my ins. co. shouldn't find out about this, since I will not have been "convicted" of anything.

but, this was my first ticket.

how's not driving for a month going to affect you? Try not to speed in the next year! And, if you do, do not get caught 171! You'll be in a world of hurt if you do...! Good luck
I hope you make it !!
Old 11-06-2007, 10:34 PM
dgcate
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh yeah...the price..

lawyer 750
court fee 100
some other fee 120

Clean driving record.. not cheap, but well worth the $$ imo

Drive safe guys
Old 11-08-2007, 11:12 PM
S4to911
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 27 Posts

Lessons:

(1) Be very neutral when pulled over. Give them nothing to remember you by. When asked "do you know what you were doing?" reply "no" and leave it at that. Talk as little as possible. Be nice and cooperative.

(2) Delay the trial as many times as they allow. This allows for the chance that the cop eventually won't show up. Always plead not guilty, and go to trial. Usually the cop will settle with you before you go in front of the judge, and knock the ticket down to no points (unless you were going 25-30 mph over).

(3) If found guilty at the first level with more points than you want (in PA, this is magistrate), always appeal to the next level (in PA, this is the county courthouse). The cop has to take a day off to do this. Again, try to delay this appeal as many times as your state system allows. Usually, an Assistant DA will be trying the case. They have a lot of cases in front of them, and want to settle as many as possible. Here is where you usually can get out of the points. If the cop shows up, you can usually try to negotiate with him (or her) as this point as well.

(4) Always fight the ticket. The worst that happens is that you are found guilty. The threats of excessive punishment (more than allowed by law) if you fight are false, and aimed at trying to prevent you from excercising your rights. The best that happens in that the cop doesn't show at the hearing.

(5) If this is the first time through the system, or if the speed is very excessive (ie in PA if you are 31 mph or more over, you can get an automatic 15 day suspension), a lawyer is reasonable, especially if you are appealing. You can learn a lot which can help you in the future to fight your own tickets without the lawyer.

(6) These lessions were learned the hard way by me, and I will leave it at that. Perhaps if you had fought some of the tickets, maybe 2 of the 4 would have been reduced or thrown out, and your license may not have been suspended.

(7) Is there an "occupational limited license" in CA, which allows you to drive to/from your job during the suspension?
Old 11-08-2007, 11:18 PM
9974G
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Edgy01
One month is nothing,--compared to the alternative. Consider the $2k well spent,--and don't even think otherwise. Now let the young kids go get pulled over!
+1

Congrats on your reduced suspension.

Quick Reply: Suspended license