Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AWE power gain

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007 | 10:48 PM
seattle_sun
Pro

Default AWE power gain

According to AWE's website, changing the headers, cats, and mufflers can result in 28-39 HP gain and 10-11 torque gain. Has anyone gotten similar results? Is it reasonable to think that this simple mod can do this? If so, that X51 package is way overpriced!

http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/info...ction~997Smuff
Old 10-11-2007 | 12:18 AM

Couple of things to ponder:

Has anyone dynoed their X51 cars to see if the power increase advertised by Porsche is under-rated?

If in fact the X51 cars are only putting out what Porsche says, then I would tend to doubt all other claims unless they offer the same or better ehnacements/improvements that Porsche does w/ the power kit.

I did not review the link but are the power gains quoted for peak hp/trq or gains only in certain points of the power band?

Last edited by 500; 10-11-2007 at 01:38 AM.
Old 10-11-2007 | 04:17 AM
Banned

I would pay money to see an x51 dyno. I think some of the owners might be scared to put an x51 on the dyno...

If you look at the dyno on the AWE site most of the gains come from the cats, you would see similar gains changing an x51's cats as well. Porsche is hampered by emissions in this respect. The car also loses a little bit of torque down low in exhange for a few wheel hp up top with the headers.
Old 10-11-2007 | 07:55 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

I put on AWE headers, cats, and mufflers and saw a significant gain as measured by my senses on the track. No dyno here as I'm not interested in any numbers other than my lap times. I then noticed another significant change for the better when I matched up customized Revo software. Detractors will chime in for sure, but I'm a hard sell, but am now a believer. I wanted AWE for weight, flow, performance, and sound (so I can hear what my car is doing on the track with a helmet on). I wanted Revo for throttle map (much better) and optimization of what I had and use (93 octane, freer flowing exhaust system, etc.).

I would never buy AWE or anything performance related on the basis of HP/TQ claims. I bought for other purposes and saw results on the track.
Old 10-11-2007 | 01:11 PM
surfingbuddhist
Instructor

Originally Posted by sticky
I would pay money to see an x51 dyno. I think some of the owners might be scared to put an x51 on the dyno...
I'll gladly dyno my x51. But how much are you willing to pay?
Old 10-11-2007 | 07:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by surfingbuddhist
I'll gladly dyno my x51. But how much are you willing to pay?
Not $16,900.
Old 10-13-2007 | 02:36 AM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

I've been meaning to dyno mine. I'll see if I can find a shop with a Dynapak dyno that can do it. If/when I get it done, I'll post results for all to see... good or bad.

MC
Old 10-13-2007 | 07:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by H20NOO
I've been meaning to dyno mine. I'll see if I can find a shop with a Dynapak dyno that can do it. If/when I get it done, I'll post results for all to see... good or bad.

MC
A dynojet will probably be easier to find and more people have used dynojets to dyno non x51 S cars so the comparison would be easier.
Old 10-13-2007 | 11:20 AM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sticky

If you look at the dyno on the AWE site most of the gains come from the cats, you would see similar gains changing an x51's cats as well. Porsche is hampered by emissions in this respect. The car also loses a little bit of torque down low in exhange for a few wheel hp up top with the headers.
I'd be happy to dyno mine somewhere around the Los Angeles area if someone wants to do the research and set it up for me. I doubt the car is under rated at 381 HP. To me my car does not feel much faster than a base Carrera.
Old 10-13-2007 | 05:06 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

There are several threads on the forum regarding this issue. Do a search. Be aware that crankshaft and rear wheel horsepower are different by a 16 to 17 percent factor.

From dyno verified results, the AWE exhaust system will give about 20 rear wheel horsepower. The sound is great and there is no resonance.

There have not been any X-51 dyno runs posted on the forums, to my knowledge. The X-51 intake, with some minor modifications, can be fitted to a 997S, no dyno runs have been posted for this either.
Old 10-13-2007 | 08:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 996toomey
I'd be happy to dyno mine somewhere around the Los Angeles area if someone wants to do the research and set it up for me. I doubt the car is under rated at 381 HP. To me my car does not feel much faster than a base Carrera.
How far would you be willing to drive? I got my old E46 M3 dyno'd at evosport but that is huntington beach. If you give me a more specific location it would be easy to find a place with a dyno for you.

Quick Reply: AWE power gain