Sponsored by:

CD stuck in PCM

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 08:59 PM
akrenz
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CD stuck in PCM

During a nice back road drive with my 997 in Wisconsin this afternoon, I decided to change the music CD in the PCM with another. The PCM sucked the new one in but nothing happened, ie. it didn't play. Touching the "eject" button also did nothing. When I alternate from the "AM/FM" button to the "CD" button, the PCM does not recognize that there's a CD in it. The CD was a copy I made of one I made some time ago for my daily driver (not MP3). It has a label on it that I also made but I made sure it had no bubbles before I inserted the disc into the PCM.

Any way to get the disc out of the PCM? Open paper clip like when a CD is stuck in a computer? Or, do I need to go to my friendly dealer?

Thanks in advance. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

akrenz
Old 09-02-2007, 10:35 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

These might help:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/363524-cd-is-stuck-in-the-radio.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/323996-cd-stuck-in-player-any-options.html
Old 09-02-2007, 10:43 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had trouble with copies, not in my Porsche but other cars. If it isn't the label that's catching, it might be the fact that that is somehow doesn't recognize the copy. Just a wild guess.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:16 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If yours is a 2005 model, then its pretty common.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:32 PM
akrenz
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the responses. I'm off to the dealer next Tuesday!

akrenz
Old 09-06-2007, 01:34 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

It finally happened to me yesterday! The unit ejected the CD by itself after I opened the passenger side door. I tried to insert the CD but the unit wouldn't take it. Got off from work (nine hours later), inserted CD and the unit took it but wouldn't play and now it indicated "no CD".
Old 09-08-2007, 01:19 PM
007GT3
Instructor

Why are stuck CD problems so expensive?
Old 09-10-2007, 07:50 PM
akrenz
Rennlist Member

Come to think of it, during the scenic drive where I had my problem, I stopped to photograph an old water mill along the way. I did turn the engine off. When my passenger and I got back in the car, I noticed the PCM had ejected the CD that was in it and that I had played earlier in the day. I pushed the CD back in the PCM but did not turn the unit back on. Later in the drive, I ejected that CD and inserted the one that's currently still in the unit. I don't remember which door was opened first after stopping. Anyway, the car is going to the dealer tomorrow morning and I'll let you know the results.

Akrenz
Old 09-11-2007, 01:49 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 007GT3
Why are stuck CD problems so expensive?
According to the dealer, there was a software update for the PCM back in early 2006. All they have to do is to put their software CD in the PCM and it will update the unit. Dealer "supposed" to do this update when you bring in the car for maintainence works. However, if the player already has the problem, dealer doesn't want to risk having the update CD stuck in there so they just replace the whole unit.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:20 PM
akrenz
Rennlist Member

Update - the dealer replaced the PCM under warranty. Job completed yesterday but they wanted to keep the car another day and try the unit throughout the day. Haven't made it back there yet to pick up the car; will do tomorrow evening or Saturday AM. BTW, I have a 997 with a May 2005 build date and the PCM did play MP3. Also, I did have the PCM software update installed last year.

akrenz
Old 09-13-2007, 06:23 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

I just got mine fixed (replaced) also.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:27 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well at least its fixed now.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:59 PM
akrenz
Rennlist Member

Picked my car up today and guess what; my MP3 CD's did not play in the "replacement" PCM. I pointed this out to the service adviser and he indicated that the PCM was not designed to play "burned" CD's (with MP3 music). He also said that some 997 PCMs play MP3 and some don't. My thinking is that PCMs in early production 997s might not have had MP3 capability but the supplier made a running change and added that capability. My car was built in mid-May 2005 and was able to play MP3. Interestingly, the current 997 sales booklet does indicate the PCM is capable of playing MP3. So what probably happened is the dealer installed a reconditioned PCM from an early production run. The (possible) good news is that the service adviser said if I wasn't happy, they would change out the replacement unit. I believe he's calling PCNA on Monday to find out more as he really didn't seem to know the story on this issue. Anybody know if I'm correct in my assumption about "early" PCMs?

akrenz
Old 09-14-2007, 11:54 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by akrenz
Picked my car up today and guess what; my MP3 CD's did not play in the "replacement" PCM. I pointed this out to the service adviser and he indicated that the PCM was not designed to play "burned" CD's (with MP3 music). He also said that some 997 PCMs play MP3 and some don't. My thinking is that PCMs in early production 997s might not have had MP3 capability but the supplier made a running change and added that capability. My car was built in mid-May 2005 and was able to play MP3. Interestingly, the current 997 sales booklet does indicate the PCM is capable of playing MP3. So what probably happened is the dealer installed a reconditioned PCM from an early production run. The (possible) good news is that the service adviser said if I wasn't happy, they would change out the replacement unit. I believe he's calling PCNA on Monday to find out more as he really didn't seem to know the story on this issue. Anybody know if I'm correct in my assumption about "early" PCMs?

akrenz
how is it possible to get a CD with MP3/WMA and wasn't "burned"?
Old 09-15-2007, 07:30 AM
akrenz
Rennlist Member

I know, I know. I'm anxious to hear what the service adviser finds out from PCNA.

Quick Reply: CD stuck in PCM