Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you trade a CS for an '08 Corvette C6?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 06:17 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
I'm going to try a roll of clear carpet protector for autox events. Comes in 1 foot wide rolls and is made to strip clean.
You won't need much paint protection for auto-x. You aren't following anyone throwing rocks and debris at you. Maybe just a bit on the fender lips behind the tires?
Old 08-23-2007, 06:44 PM
M491
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would if I had a mullet.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:40 PM
reactor2
Instructor

Let's compare apples to apples here. For the price of a new C2, C2S, C4, or C4S you can get a 08 Z06. I'm sorry if I offend anyone but the Z will win any performance test. Don't get me wrong, I like 911's but I won't stand behind the model and pretend it is the best performing car, because it is not. The engine is too small and the rear engine layout is just not even close to optimal. Is the Vette front engine? Sure. Although it is set far enough back that if it was driving backwards it would probably be considered a mid-engine car (remember the transmission is in the back of the car in front of the rear tires). I think few would disagree that the Vette is also going to be more reliable.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:35 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by reactor2
Let's compare apples to apples here. For the price of a new C2, C2S, C4, or C4S you can get a 08 Z06. I'm sorry if I offend anyone but the Z will win any performance test. Don't get me wrong, I like 911's but I won't stand behind the model and pretend it is the best performing car, because it is not. The engine is too small and the rear engine layout is just not even close to optimal. Is the Vette front engine? Sure. Although it is set far enough back that if it was driving backwards it would probably be considered a mid-engine car (remember the transmission is in the back of the car in front of the rear tires). I think few would disagree that the Vette is also going to be more reliable.
No hard feelings here with me....I LOVE the new Vettes and the quality GM is putting into them. The new 2008 is going to be a really awesome car in stock form and hard to beat performance wise. I have hear nothing but excellent reports about the fell of the steering in the new 2008.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:49 PM

I have owned 2 Corvettes and there is just something* with them that doesn't work for me in the long run...

*Too long
*Too fat in the rear without the killer curves like a 911 etc
*The doors feel like they're made of paper
*The car just presents the wrong image (MY's 68+)
*It's still a Chevy
*Guidoie
*GM dealer service depts
*Poor turning radius
*Poor quality albeit improving
*Seems to fit the disco era of the late 70's so well
*Too many are modded in poor taste

Now the classic vettes pre 1968 MY are of another story all together but only when 100% stock.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:03 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

> *Too long

C6 is to an inch or 2 the same length as a 997

> *Too fat in the rear without the killer curves like a 911 etc

Same width as a CS

> *The doors feel like they're made of paper

Door is fine

Image is personal. Self-esteem should not be built on the car one drives

> *It's still a Chevy

OK

> *Guidoie

?

> *GM dealer service depts

Type I Service $90

Type II Service $220

> *Poor turning radius

39ft same as F430

> *Poor quality albeit improving

08 C6 quality on par or better as 997

> *Seems to fit the disco era of the late 70's so well

Personal opinion. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

> *Too many are modded in poor taste

True. Vettes cut a wide swath of the general economy/education level. Nothing wrong with that.

> Now the classic vettes pre 1968 MY are of another story all together but only when 100% stock.

The C6 may well turn out to be the classic of 05

I have long been a fan of 911s but let's stop the prejudice. The C6 is a worthy competitor. It is better in many ways.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:10 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

I drove an '08 C6 and my 996 C4 back-to-back on Northern California twisties. I was mightily impressed. I recommend everyone to go out and try the new Vette. A short, around-the block, dealer test drive is not good enough.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:01 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by H20NOO
You won't need much paint protection for auto-x. You aren't following anyone throwing rocks and debris at you. Maybe just a bit on the fender lips behind the tires?
If you don't hit any cones then you are not trying hard enough. I still hit them, but nowhere near as much with the body. Nicking them with the rear right tire.
I'll be taking one out this Fall for a good thrashing. Too bad they are not like my Porsche dealer. "Here are the keys, please be quiet leaving the lot". The last salesman that went with me in an 05 Vette was on the verge of being buried.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:16 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by elh0102
Please don't take offense at what I am going to say; remember, I currently own a Porsche also. But, this is exactly the kind of position that has resulted in one of the negative Porsche stereotypes, and in all honesty I have to say, it has been earned. Too many folks critical of cars they have never owned, or, even driven. I thoroughly enjoy my 997S, but I expect I will own other BMW's and Corvettes in the future too. As I have continued my track events since owning the Porsche, one of my real disappointments has been hearing this kind of remark around the paddock. While the BMW and Corvette folks have their share of unfairly biased Porsche critics, I think we can add this kind of elitism to our list of unchallenged achievements. Again, my apology to anyone my comments may have offended; I offer them only as a relatively less-biased car ethusiast.

Thank you, well said. I hate it when people provide uninformed opinions or recommendations. I have owned 3 corvettes including a C5 back in 99. They are good cars and nothing to apologize for in my opinion. I wish I could figure out how to convince my wife I need to keep my C4S and add a C6 Convertible to the motorpool......
Old 09-29-2007, 11:37 PM
4thporsche
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ADias
> *Too long

I have long been a fan of 911s but let's stop the prejudice. The C6 is a worthy competitor. It is better in many ways.
It's the Chevy brand vs. Porsche. Who do you thinks going to win that one??? It's still a Chevy..... Image sells in this price range... that's the reality whether you like it or not....
Old 09-30-2007, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by ADias
> *Too long

C6 is to an inch or 2 the same length as a 997

> *Too fat in the rear without the killer curves like a 911 etc

Same width as a CS

> *The doors feel like they're made of paper

Door is fine

Image is personal. Self-esteem should not be built on the car one drives

> *It's still a Chevy

OK

> *Guidoie

?

> *GM dealer service depts

Type I Service $90

Type II Service $220

> *Poor turning radius

39ft same as F430

> *Poor quality albeit improving

08 C6 quality on par or better as 997

> *Seems to fit the disco era of the late 70's so well

Personal opinion. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

> *Too many are modded in poor taste

True. Vettes cut a wide swath of the general economy/education level. Nothing wrong with that.

> Now the classic vettes pre 1968 MY are of another story all together but only when 100% stock.

The C6 may well turn out to be the classic of 05

It's difficult to say one is prejudice when I've owned 2 of them.

Yes the Vette may only be 2 inches longer than a 997,way to long imo for just a pure two seater like the vette and a 997 has two small rear seats...

Servicing costs were not mentioned by me. Have you had a car servied at a GM dealer lately...not quite on par with the Porsche service experince to say the least.

08 C6 quality on par or better than a 997... say's who?...they haven't even been out for a year yet how can you say that?

Obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder...so why are you driving a Porsche not a vette...ok your next car will be one right?

Image is personal..well personally it's not the image I wish to have...but please feel free to. "Guidoie" has a lot to do with this as do some of the hiddeous mods that vette seem to have attracted over the years. Fortunaltely most Porsches have been spared by most of these.

Turning raduis was mentioned as in comp to a 997....Ferraris don't have the greatest of turning radius

Door is fine...yeah a plastic doors close with such a solid thud...lol

C6 being a a classic vette in the future compared to pre 68 vettes?..ok, if you say so.

A vette is better in many ways than a 997...another reason for you to go buy one

As I stated in my original post...the newer vettes just don't do it for me and those are my reasons why.

Here a quote dircetly from you:
I drove an '07 C6 today for the first time. Awesome power without question but felt like seating in a tub and the steering was numb. The 08 is supposed to have an improved steering.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by ADias : 08-21-2007 at 01:56 AM

Did the '08's get rid of that tub like feeling? lol Maybe Chevy will address that on the all new 2012...check the brand new M/T.

Last edited by 500; 09-30-2007 at 03:21 AM.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:02 AM
reactor2
Instructor

The C6 has a full hydroformed frame surrounded by a composite body. It has a set back front engine producing 430hp minimum. The transmission is in the rear of the car making for a 49/51 weight distribution. Compare that to the 911. Steal unibody construction with a rear mounted engine/transaxel with a horrible weight distribution. Just about every car on the road uses the same design (although with the engine/transmission in the front). Which one sounds like the better performance platform? Anyone would agree the Corvette. Now for the price of a new C2 you can get Z06. The full frame is now aluminum. The body consists of various carbon fiber pieces. The engine produces 505hp while still getting great mileage on the highway. It has a dry sump oiling system and huge brakes. The Corvettes of yesterday are gone. The base Vette has over 100hp more than the base C2. But for the same price as the C2 you would get the Z which is so far above the base C2 it's not even funny. Don't get me wrong, I love the 911 but I call things the way they are.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:09 AM

The C6 has a full hydroformed frame surrounded by a composite body. It has a set back front engine producing 430hp minimum. The transmission is in the rear of the car making for a 49/51 weight distribution. Compare that to the 911. Steal unibody construction with a rear mounted engine/transaxel with a horrible weight distribution. Just about every car on the road uses the same design (although with the engine/transmission in the front). Which one sounds like the better performance platform? Anyone would agree the Corvette. Now for the price of a new C2 you can get Z06. The full frame is now aluminum. The body consists of various carbon fiber pieces. The engine produces 505hp while still getting great mileage on the highway. It has a dry sump oiling system and huge brakes. The Corvettes of yesterday are gone. The base Vette has over 100hp more than the base C2. But for the same price as the C2 you would get the Z which is so far above the base C2 it's not even funny. In my opinion (yes it's only my opinion) unless Porsche does something soon, the only image it's going to bring is that it is an over-price averge performance car. Don't get me wrong, I love the 911 but I call things the way they are.
Yes and for the price of my 07 C2S I could have bought a new Z06, but didn't, thank you very much. Corvettes are faster yes, but it needs more than just more power/speed for me to buy another one vs a Porsche.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:12 AM
reactor2
Instructor

It has more than just more power. It has better performance all around and that is a fact. It doesn't look like a 911 though because it's not a 911.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:21 AM

It has more than just more power. It has better performance all around and that is a fact. It doesn't look like a 911 though because it's not a 911.
Overall better performance is not enough of a reason to make me get another vette. I do appreciate GM trying to make it a better car, but from what I just saw in the new MT I'm still not liking what I'm seeing.

Quick Reply: Would you trade a CS for an '08 Corvette C6?