Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you trade a CS for an '08 Corvette C6?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 07:55 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by dr. gus
I owned both a 2006 997 c4s cab and a 2005 c6 vert. The vette was a great muscle car which was much improved over previous models. The c6 is big bang for the buck; however it has a cheap interior. Additionally, the handling of the corvette feels very numb. As an example when cornering you get that oh @#&* feeling and think to yourself I am going to make it or not. The other problem with the vette is you get treated like any other impala owner. The revised vette for 08 has an all leather package for $8000.00, and has improved handling. I have not driven the 08 vette yet. I got very bored of my vette and after one year traded in for my 997. I love the 997. Handling is wet your pants experience compared to the vette. In my opinion it is just as fast in quarter mile. I have a full leather interior, and of course porsche service is just fantastic compared to Cheverlot. I have also owned an 02 boxter and 05 cayanne. I get bored with cars very easily, but not with my porsche cars. It is like a new experience everytime I get behind the wheel. Of course I am not at all putting down the vette it is a great car and the choice is up to you. I you are a muscle car guy get the vette, but if you are driver get the porsche I promise you will not regret it.

I think that the C6 08 interior is pretty decent. With the leather package is even better. The 997 interior is not so hot - there are still a ton of plastics and rattling pieces, IMO.

I drove an 07 Z51 and the ride was silk smooth and cornering was flat. What's going on? My 996 ride is far from that smooth - the body shakes with every imperfection and expansion joint. Notice that the C6 was the sports package suspension , not the Magna-Ride dampers.

I am not deciding on a Vette, at least not yet. I just think that we all 911 owners should look around as PAG has serious competition. The 911 needs more power and a modern DSG gearbox at a minimum and we should not be nickeled and dimed for that. Heck. I can almost buy 2 generations Corvettes for the price of a well equipped 997.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:01 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by dr. gus
The revised vette for 08 has an all leather package for $8000.00, and has improved handling.
The all leather package is not really $8,000. Most of the C6s you see have the 3LT package, which is about $5,000 above base price. The 4LT package which has the full leather interior is another $3,000+ on top of that. The 4LT package has all the stuff the 3LT has, plus the full leather. So the full leather is actually about $3,000 cost.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:15 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
The all leather package is not really $8,000. Most of the C6s you see have the 3LT package, which is about $5,000 above base price. The 4LT package which has the full leather interior is another $3,000+ on top of that. The 4LT package has all the stuff the 3LT has, plus the full leather. So the full leather is actually about $3,000 cost.
Correct. The $3k diff is hardly justified, but I guess GM is learning from PAG.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:40 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've owned three vettes, most recently a C5 Z06. I sold the Z06 to buy a 996 C4S.

Both are great cars. My C4S feels slow compared to my old Z06 but it more fun to drive. After three years with the Z06 I really got tired of the cheap interior, the car handled awful in the rain and with the summer performance tires, forget about driving it any time the temperature was below 50 degrees.

The plus of the C5 Z06, were unbelieveable acceration at any speed and rpm, great handling and very good brakes (although the brakes would fade under heavy use)

My perfect garage would be the C4S and the C6. I love that the new C6/C5 Z06 can get almost 30 mpg on the highway in 6th gear and you can also remove the roof panel on the C6 coupe. The C6 coupe can also fit all my hockey equipment (I'm a goalie) in the trunk.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:49 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by elh0102
I've owned a C5 ZO6, a C6 Z51, driven a couple of C6 ZO6's, and currently own a 997S; my first Porsche, and I've had it about 8 months. Before these cars, I had an E46 M3, and started doing track schools about 6 years ago. Assuming both cars are in your budget, I think your choice simply depends on your priorities. If my sports car was driven only rarely on weekends or track events, I would still have the C5 ZO6.
Elh0102,

We have similar backrounds. I had a C5 Z06, and two C4 vettes before it. I sold my C5 Z06 last year to buy the C4S, my first p-car.

Before that I also had an E46 M3. I start doing track events with the C4 vettes about 7 yrs ago. Never tracked the C4S and probably never will, it's too nice of a car.

I do agree with Elh0102, both are great cars, it really depends on how you are going to use them.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:50 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by george_k
NO NO NO - AND AS FAR AS BEING FUEL EFFICIENT - TRY GETTING 27mpg IN A VETTE , WHICH I ROUTINELY GET IN MY C2S ON THE HIGHWAY. VETTES ARE FOR POSEURS.
You can easily get over 27mpg on the highway with a 6 speed C6.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:12 PM
greenie
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by george_k
I guess I was mistaken on the mileage, a friend has a C6, tells me he is hard pressed to get 20-22mpg on the highway, must be at 90mph the way he drives. My apologies.
George, most of us get AT LEAST 25 MPG on the highway. Like I said, the interior is from a garbage can and the radio is right out of a Cheerios box but the car now handles as it always should have and the mileage has always been terrific for such a strong engine.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:44 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by greenie
George, most of us get AT LEAST 25 MPG on the highway. Like I said, the interior is from a garbage can and the radio is right out of a Cheerios box but the car now handles as it always should have and the mileage has always been terrific for such a strong engine.
Since you know the C6... you say it now handles... but can it dance? does it flow dart-like weaving through lanes, or on a tight narrow twisty mountain road, as a 911 does?

Im my test drive the car seemed to swerve well, but somehow felt big. Is this true or not? [Note: only an experienced 911 and Corvette owner can describe this, as the typical dealer test drive is not enough to clarify this most important point.]
Old 08-22-2007, 11:07 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh my bad, I didn't write that. I got it from a road test.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:24 PM
elh0102
Instructor

Originally Posted by ADias
Im my test drive the car seemed to swerve well, but somehow felt big. Is this true or not? [Note: only an experienced 911 and Corvette owner can describe this, as the typical dealer test drive is not enough to clarify this most important point.]
From my experience, my perception is yes, the Vette (especially non ZO6) drives bigger and heavier than it is, while the Porsche feels smaller and lighter than it's actual dimensions (My only Porsche experience is the 997S). But, as with most things, experience is everything. I had no trouble acclimating to the C5 ZO6, and quickly found myself comfortable with the feel of the car, and it was a totally stock suspension. As I gained experience, I realized the car was actually faster on track than my comfort level, since I had only factory safety equipment. The enhanced feel and precision of the Porsche's handling and braking are obvious, and the car accommodates my comfort level on track almost perfectly, and that's really what matters. I guess my age and driving experience have taught me, if nothing else, that I have mental and physical limitations that don't appreciate being pushed beyond their limits. So, this is my long-winded way of agreeing with you, the Vette feels bigger.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:47 PM
Shane D
Pro

There is a huge price difference between the two. I have been thinking about a Porsche for several months now. I will get a "new to me" toy next summer. For $45,000.00 to $50,000.00, it was looking like a toss up between a well used 996 (C4S) or a one year old Boxster. However now I find that I can get a brand new '07 C6 for $45,000.00, or less! And some Forum dealers are already offering $5,000.00 off on new '08's.
Is it as nice as 997? No. But the low end power and the factory warranty make it VERY attractive at that price point.

However, if you can afford a new 997, then the answer is probably no.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:49 PM
greenie
Advanced

Originally Posted by ADias
Since you know the C6... you say it now handles... but can it dance? does it flow dart-like weaving through lanes, or on a tight narrow twisty mountain road, as a 911 does?

AD, you are correct in your note concerning owning BOTH to be able to compare. Im on the cusp of putting a C4S in the stable thus I joined this forum. My experience has been with the Corvette and ONLY a dealer test drive in the P-car. The 08 vette handles quite a bit better than the preceding years due to the change in the steering rack geometry. I cannot imagine that it can "dance" as well as the 997. After all, its a 997!!
Old 08-23-2007, 02:14 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with other Porsche owners that the interior and overall feel are better in the 997 but I would have expected that we don't have to hand over most of the performance categories to the base Corvette. We're talking about porsche. Maybe I had the wrong stereotype that Porsche was the benchmark in terms of performance, and the styling, interior, and feel were added bonuses. I didn't buy this car primarily for those reasons. I love my cars, but I just hope Porsche steps it up a notch here.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:38 PM
J1SD
Advanced

Given the option, I prefer the driving experience and sophistication of the Porsche. That's my choice. I have no ill will toward anyone who purchases a new Vette except those that adorn it with gold trim and chromed wheels as a blinged out cruiser rather than what the car is engineered to do. For that matter, same rules apply to Porsche owners.
+1
Old 08-23-2007, 05:50 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

Lately I have been thinking about getting an 08 non Z06 for DE play and maybe autox too. 430+hp for 08 and the price is right to. Trailer it to the events and trade it in every year as a low milage garage queen. Don;t really care what the interior looks like while driving.
I'm going to try a roll of clear carpet protector for autox events. Comes in 1 foot wide rolls and is made to strip clean.

Quick Reply: Would you trade a CS for an '08 Corvette C6?