Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you trade a CS for an '08 Corvette C6?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 10:37 AM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this a trick question? Cuz my answer is NO!

The vette is a nice car, but it is not a scalpel in the hands of a surgeon.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:19 AM
elh0102
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cvazquez
The vette is a nice car, but it is not a scalpel in the hands of a surgeon.
First, be the surgeon, then the car doesn't matter.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:54 AM
george_k
Instructor

NO NO NO - AND AS FAR AS BEING FUEL EFFICIENT - TRY GETTING 27mpg IN A VETTE , WHICH I ROUTINELY GET IN MY C2S ON THE HIGHWAY. VETTES ARE FOR POSEURS.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:54 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

I have never driven a Corvette nor a BMW for that matter. But I have been driving Porsches since I was 19. I have had a couple rides periodically in Corvettes and BMWs and think that they are fine mass-transit vehicles. There's a long way for Chevrolet to go to doctor up a Corvette enough for me to be interested in one. At the end of the day it's still..."Life is too short to be driving Chevys"

Last edited by Edgy01; 08-22-2007 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:43 PM
elh0102
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edgy01
ddddddddI have never driven a Corvette nor a BMW for that matter. But I have been driving Porsches since I was 19. I have had a couple rides periodically in Corvettes and BMWs and think that they are fine mass-transit vehicles. There's a long way for Chevrolet to go to doctor up a Corvette enough for me to be interested in one. At the end of the day it's still..."Life is too short to be driving Chevys"
Please don't take offense at what I am going to say; remember, I currently own a Porsche also. But, this is exactly the kind of position that has resulted in one of the negative Porsche stereotypes, and in all honesty I have to say, it has been earned. Too many folks critical of cars they have never owned, or, even driven. I thoroughly enjoy my 997S, but I expect I will own other BMW's and Corvettes in the future too. As I have continued my track events since owning the Porsche, one of my real disappointments has been hearing this kind of remark around the paddock. While the BMW and Corvette folks have their share of unfairly biased Porsche critics, I think we can add this kind of elitism to our list of unchallenged achievements. Again, my apology to anyone my comments may have offended; I offer them only as a relatively less-biased car ethusiast.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:00 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by george_k
NO NO NO - AND AS FAR AS BEING FUEL EFFICIENT - TRY GETTING 27mpg IN A VETTE , WHICH I ROUTINELY GET IN MY C2S ON THE HIGHWAY. VETTES ARE FOR POSEURS.
27 mpg on the highway in a C6 is not much of a problem.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:01 PM
greenie
Advanced

ROUTINELY, I get 28-30 mpg in my C6. So much for your post!
Old 08-22-2007, 02:02 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

I am a 911 fan through and through but let's not be snobs. I never drove a Corvette until 2 days ago (an 07 model) and I found some issues, but also some rewards. I read here some thoughtful posts but also others that are just gut reaction and prejudice and add no value to the discussion. The 911 has improved over the years and in a few areas has failed to senseless perceived market pressures and it has now a lot more competition.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:33 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
The leaf springs on a modern Vette are mounted transversely, made from composite materials and bear no resemblance to the "traditional" leaf spring.
That may be true but the factory race cars run coil overs.

Regardless, the new Corvette may be the best performance value on the planet. I've driven, ridden and pursued many on both street and race track. For a straight up speed junkie, dolllar for dollar it's a far better choice than a Porsche. The 08 C-6 looks to be among the best performance bang for buck in automotive history and will probably give a 997 Turbo a good run in terms of pure performance stats.

Given the option, I prefer the driving experience and sophistication of the Porsche. That's my choice. I have no ill will toward anyone who purchases a new Vette except those that adorn it with gold trim and chromed wheels as a blinged out cruiser rather than what the car is engineered to do. For that matter, same rules apply to Porsche owners.

MC
Old 08-22-2007, 04:33 PM
greenie
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nine9Sixer
there's no substitute for pushrod, american V8 horsepower. recently, i had an impromptu caravan commute with a C6 (non Z06), i was quite surprised by its brute power in the upper mph's. we were crusing at about 90mph going uphill, then he changes lanes and starts acclerating hard. i down**** to 5th, push it hard although not gunning it, look down and i'm at about 6-7k rpms (mph undisclosed), and he's gaining a lead. afterwards, i compared the numbers and the cars are a bit equal until C6 takes about a .5 sec lead past 100mph or so. that all being said, the car mags say, in addition to improved steering feel, the all-leather interior option for 2008 vettes is a vast improvement (and expensive too), but it still looks like a cobalt inside. a cheap, bland interior is a big reason why i sold my 996 for the 997. imho, interior quality is a big factor. i think chevy would sell so much more vettes if they just improved the interior quality (the new tahoe interiors look nice).
One can take a Z06 from a standing start in 5th gear right up to 165MPH. Not too shabby.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:44 PM
george_k
Instructor

I guess I was mistaken on the mileage, a friend has a C6, tells me he is hard pressed to get 20-22mpg on the highway, must be at 90mph the way he drives. My apologies.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:20 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

I once drove RT 89 from northern Vermont to Mass in my 86 Vette, avarage speed was 85-90. Average MPG was a whopping 29. I drove the snot out of that car for 5 years, even drove through the winter with snow and salt on the road. Got a small unravel in the leather drivers seat and the AC quit in the last year.
Styling and interiors aside, they are the Walmart version of a supercar. I almost bought one this spring but could not see myself driving one on the street, picked up a C2S instead.
They are durable, cheap, and cheap to mod.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:30 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
I once drove RT 89 from northern Vermont to Mass in my 86 Vette, avarage speed was 85-90. Average MPG was a whopping 29. I drove the snot out of that car for 5 years, even drove through the winter with snow and salt on the road. Got a small unravel in the leather drivers seat and the AC quit in the last year.
Styling and interiors aside, they are the Walmart version of a supercar. I almost bought one this spring but could not see myself driving one on the street, picked up a C2S instead.
They are durable, cheap, and cheap to mod.
Hey man - nice to see you here!

When Chevrolet (and big GM) finally start putting decent interiors in their cars (even the latest CTS isn't great), then I'll start considering them. Like I mentioned earlier, people that buy cars strictly for performance are kidding themselves. The only time that makes sense is for a track-only car....
Old 08-22-2007, 07:05 PM
WalkerInTN
Burning Brakes

My modified 1998 Corvette gets 27 mpg on the highway, & it makes over 700 HP.

In stock form, 29 mpg was the norm. That .50 6th gear is good for something.

My GT3 only gets 25 mpg on the highway.

BTW, the silly name calling makes you look like really childish.

And to answer the original question, no. I wouldn't even trade a regular Carrera for a C6, much less an "S" version.

Last edited by WalkerInTN; 08-23-2007 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:37 PM
dr. gus
3rd Gear

I owned both a 2006 997 c4s cab and a 2005 c6 vert. The vette was a great muscle car which was much improved over previous models. The c6 is big bang for the buck; however it has a cheap interior. Additionally, the handling of the corvette feels very numb. As an example when cornering you get that oh @#&* feeling and think to yourself I am going to make it or not. The other problem with the vette is you get treated like any other impala owner. The revised vette for 08 has an all leather package for $8000.00, and has improved handling. I have not driven the 08 vette yet. I got very bored of my vette and after one year traded in for my 997. I love the 997. Handling is wet your pants experience compared to the vette. In my opinion it is just as fast in quarter mile. I have a full leather interior, and of course porsche service is just fantastic compared to Cheverlot. I have also owned an 02 boxter and 05 cayanne. I get bored with cars very easily, but not with my porsche cars. It is like a new experience everytime I get behind the wheel. Of course I am not at all putting down the vette it is a great car and the choice is up to you. I you are a muscle car guy get the vette, but if you are driver get the porsche I promise you will not regret it.

Quick Reply: Would you trade a CS for an '08 Corvette C6?