Sponsored by:

Clutch Vibration Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 01:21 PM
skate
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Vibration Problem

My 07 C4S has a clutch vibration problem that the dealer is having difficulty solving. Slight shudder when you first release the clutch at low RPM. As car warms up becomes extremely difficult to drive without stalling. Car was delivered with this problem but I was told to put a few km. on car to see if it goes away. Dealer replaced clutch and pressure plate at 800km and problem creased for a short time before coming back at 1500km. Dealer has had car apart in shop for two days and can not find problem. Shop foreman tells me that everything measures correctly and clutch/pressure plate not showing any unususal wear. Has anyone experienced this problem and if so, did you/your dealer identify the problem? Btw, I'm told by the dealer that they have another car in inventory doing exactly the same thing. Porsche has no answers.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:46 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Unacceptable by any means in a 100+K car. It's time to escalate to the local Porsche rep (I almost said "PCNA" but I see that you are talking kilometers, Skate). If you've gone 1500km with no satisfaction it's time to step it up...

Do not let them f_ck you around. My car was flawless. Yours should be, also.

Just MHO,

-don
Old 08-09-2007, 08:00 PM

I just posted about this then saw your's. My 07 997S w/3700 miles is doing the same thing as yours and it feels like clutch chatter; although I can pull away smoothly if I baby the clutch and take off speeds. I am going to bring it in to my dealership when the rep is in town.

PM has been sent to you.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:32 PM
skate
Intermediate

Quick update: Dealer now tells me that the problem is due to the type of material that the clutch plate is made from. He went on to say that 2 months prior to my car being produced, Porsche changed the material that they used to manufacture the 997 clutch plates. This material is supposedly "more grappy" (his words not mine) then previous material used. Went on to say that more aggressive drivers would not experience this problem because they rev the engine higher when starting off. Anyway, new clutch kit on it's way from Alanta so I should get the car back late afternoon. What do you think, should I get the shovel out??
Old 08-10-2007, 02:43 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by skate
Quick update: Dealer now tells me that the problem is due to the type of material that the clutch plate is made from. He went on to say that 2 months prior to my car being produced, Porsche changed the material that they used to manufacture the 997 clutch plates. This material is supposedly "more grappy" (his words not mine) then previous material used. Went on to say that more aggressive drivers would not experience this problem because they rev the engine higher when starting off. Anyway, new clutch kit on it's way from Alanta so I should get the car back late afternoon. What do you think, should I get the shovel out??

You should have a beer while swallowing all that bull****.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:01 PM

That sound like good news. Is the new clutch kit made of a different material than what's currently in your car? What was your car's production date?
Old 08-11-2007, 10:11 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 684 Likes on 478 Posts

If the problem is "normal". then why are they sending a new clutch kit?
Old 08-11-2007, 01:57 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

I wouldn't worry for a second. They are telling you the truth. The clutch material was changed recently on US cars too. This information was never released to dealers as technical information so that explains why it took them a while to realize.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:07 PM
THinthedesert
Advanced

Originally Posted by PTEC
I wouldn't worry for a second. They are telling you the truth. The clutch material was changed recently on US cars too. This information was never released to dealers as technical information so that explains why it took them a while to realize.
Any idea as to why the change in material? Do you know what the newer material is, and whether or not it is to be considered as an upgraded friction material?
Old 08-11-2007, 07:42 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have a 07 997S. How can I tell if my car is with the old or new clutch?

Thanks a lot, and with best regards,

- Alex.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:35 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by THinthedesert
Any idea as to why the change in material? Do you know what the newer material is, and whether or not it is to be considered as an upgraded friction material?

Going by Porsche's own comments it looks like it's an upgrade for aggressive drivers and a downgrade for non-aggressive drivers who apparently are forced to park the car in the shop for a day while the old style pressure plate is installed.

Went on to say that more aggressive drivers would not experience this problem because they rev the engine higher when starting off.

(FWIW........I'm not entirely convinced this is the full story.)
Old 08-12-2007, 01:24 PM
skate
Intermediate

PM sent to you
Old 08-13-2007, 02:22 PM
skate
Intermediate

Update : Picked up the car with the new clutch kit installed Friday. Feels great so far, clutch release feels totally different. Much smoother action than previous two clutches and the release action begins when the pedal is much closer to the floor. Shop Tech tells me that he had to dig for this solution. It appears that this is an issue Porsche has not informed dealers about but they have developed this alternative "clutch kit" to address the problem. Anyway, I mentioned to the Tech that I had heard from a couple of other people regarding this problem and he told me to give them this part number (997-116-913-13)for the clutch kit. The release bearing number is 997-116-080-01. On a side note, he said that this is the strangest part number he has ever seen. Apparently it is not listed in the offical Porsche parts inventory lists and he got it from a Porsche Tech engineer in New York. I hope this works but I'm cautiously optimistic because the last time they changed the clutch disc and pressure plate everything was good for the first couple of hundred Kms. Hope this helps anyone suffering from the same issue.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by PTEC
PTEC:

Judging from your user name it appears you are a tech; may I ask, at an authorized dealership or indy?
Old 08-14-2007, 11:09 PM

Update : Picked up the car with the new clutch kit installed Friday. Feels great so far, clutch release feels totally different. Much smoother action than previous two clutches and the release action begins when the pedal is much closer to the floor. Shop Tech tells me that he had to dig for this solution. It appears that this is an issue Porsche has not informed dealers about but they have developed this alternative "clutch kit" to address the problem. Anyway, I mentioned to the Tech that I had heard from a couple of other people regarding this problem and he told me to give them this part number (997-116-913-13)for the clutch kit. The release bearing number is 997-116-080-01. On a side note, he said that this is the strangest part number he has ever seen. Apparently it is not listed in the offical Porsche parts inventory lists and he got it from a Porsche Tech engineer in New York. I hope this works but I'm cautiously optimistic because the last time they changed the clutch disc and pressure plate everything was good for the first couple of hundred Kms. Hope this helps anyone suffering from the same issue.
pm sent

Quick Reply: Clutch Vibration Problem