Sponsored by:

pictures of passport SRX install

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 08:54 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default pictures of passport SRX install

I had the remote SRX installed, very neat installation. 2 units in front grill (one on each side) and one on rear licence plate.

Small light right side of dash for warning

unit itself in cubby hole under climate controls

(also: picture of Porsche crest on leather rear console)
Attached Images         
Old 07-20-2007, 08:56 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

black button near handbrake is the mute and laser "turn off" switch
Old 07-20-2007, 09:54 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Nice job...I have mine installed as well. I did not do the little light as I can see the head unit just fine. Again...looks very nice!
Old 07-20-2007, 10:48 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts

Nice pics - thanks for posting.
Love all that leather too...nice.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:05 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 102 Posts

How's the detector performance? I was not impressed with my Caliber performance but I think it was the way they installed it. I won't use a radar detector unless it's hidden and your looks perfect. Too bad they don't have a Valentine 1 stealth kit.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:29 PM
Bucket_hat_Loren
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mmmm...that is clean!
Old 07-21-2007, 03:48 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

so far, I have been very pleased, very rare false alarm and radar warning occurs in plenty of time,

Have not encountered laser yet, so cannot comment on that
The mute button, when hit twice in a row, deactivates the laser shifter, so the LEO does not get a repeat jamming warning. It also allows volume control.

I have the voice turned on, did not think I would like it, but surprisingly I do. The voice says "K band" or Ka band" etc at the start of an alert, very useful especially if music is playing.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:25 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son and I ran up on a local officer standing on the side of the road with his new laser gun. He was pinging cars moving towards him in a 35mph zone. We had about five cars strung out in front of us over a 1/2 mile. The V1 hit 4 times on laser warning.

When he saw me coming, he aimed at me, then dropped the gun and laughed and waved... turns out I know him. He knew that I was not dumb enough to be speeding there, anyway. :-)

Maybe I'll have to get together with him and find out a bit more about the device. Looked to be the size of a small cigar box with a pistol grip and dual lenses on the front. No other identifiable markings. He was sighting thru it at traffic and just squeezing off bursts at oncoming traffic.

Nice for the police, bad for us.

-don
Old 07-25-2007, 06:42 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 136 Posts

There's is significant compromise to radar detection when you make the receiving antenna stealthy. Placing it low down at the intakes puts you at a line-of-sight disadvantage over a radar unit that is positioned high up on the windowshield, e.g., at the rearview mirror height. Every vertical inch translates to a time factor of early warning. Keep this in mind when you elect to go stealthy. It's nice to see a clean installation, but where the receiving antenna is, becomes critical when seconds count.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:33 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

You should have bought the Laser Park Pro. -- Just joking!

I think it is true that you lose some sensitivity to radar when the detectors are low like that, but on the other hand it is nice to not have the box hanging from the windshield. Very nice installation & I love your interior.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:52 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
There's is significant compromise to radar detection when you make the receiving antenna stealthy. Placing it low down at the intakes puts you at a line-of-sight disadvantage over a radar unit that is positioned high up on the windowshield, e.g., at the rearview mirror height. Every vertical inch translates to a time factor of early warning. Keep this in mind when you elect to go stealthy. It's nice to see a clean installation, but where the receiving antenna is, becomes critical when seconds count.
In general, placing a radar detector higher may have some limited benefit (hard to say for sure as radar waves are multi-directional), but it is the opposite for laser if you are being targeted. You want those mounted closer to where the lasers are aimed (license plates & lights).

More Info.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:19 AM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Looks very clean.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:02 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
In general, placing a radar detector higher may have some limited benefit (hard to say for sure as radar waves are multi-directional), but it is the opposite for laser if you are being targeted. You want those mounted closer to where the lasers are aimed (license plates & lights).

More Info.
For the lasers that is very true. Aim a red laser pointer sometime at your headlights (off) and you'd be amazed at how much reflects back out!
Old 07-26-2007, 09:11 PM
bill d cat
Feral Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Carcam
Too bad they don't have a Valentine 1 stealth kit.
Valentine sells a V-1 remote display and a remote on/off/mute and volume control.

As an engineer, Mike probably wants us to be able to enjoy the pleasure of designing and building a stealthy mounting system!

Quick Reply: pictures of passport SRX install