Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sunroof vibration, noise, thumping

Old 02-18-2007, 06:47 PM
RedRocket
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sunroof vibration, noise, thumping

I searched on this topic and found a few threads, but nothing specific to my problem. maybe its normal, wonder if any of you experience this....

windows up, traveling between 35-55 mph and suddenly my ears go numb from the thumping harmonics of the air inside the car. I am guessing it has to do with the vibration of the headliner as air passes between it and the roof at this speed range. I played around with it a little, but nothing really seems to help.

is this something i just have to live with or should i take it in and have the dealership try to fix it? any advice would be helpful thanks.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:55 PM
D.D.
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crack the pasengers side window a little....it will equalize the helicopter effect!
Old 02-18-2007, 07:11 PM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by D.D.
Crack the pasengers side window a little....it will equalize the helicopter effect!
cracking the window is the only thing that seems to help.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:40 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a 'feature' when you have a well made, well sealed car.

A certain speeds you get pressure wave harmonics with the air passing over the open sunroof.

As has been mentioned, cracking a window will stop the effect.

Or you could buy one of those 'cool' plastic sunroof defelectors from the 80's, ,and fix that to the top of your 997.......

errrrr. Maybe not!
Old 02-18-2007, 07:49 PM
rfedele
Racer

Originally Posted by cdodkin
It's a 'feature' when you have a well made, well sealed car.

A certain speeds you get pressure wave harmonics with the air passing over the open sunroof.

As has been mentioned, cracking a window will stop the effect.

Or you could buy one of those 'cool' plastic sunroof defelectors from the 80's, ,and fix that to the top of your 997.......

errrrr. Maybe not!

Always thought, such a well made car, how did they screw up the sunroof so badly. I like your explanation better.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:31 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You have an '05?

They changed the defector in '06 to a different design configuration that helps solve the problem
Old 02-18-2007, 08:54 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
You have an '05?

They changed the defector in '06 to a different design configuration that helps solve the problem
I was just saying to my wife today while we were driving that they must have changed the deflector in the '06, cause we don't get the booming that we used to get in the 05. Glad to have this confirmed. It is a VERY effective change. You can drive around with the roof open comfortably at most any speed in the '06 without having to crack open a window (I assume 07 also). I'll bet it is an upgrade that you could do to an 05, though I'm sure it would cost some $$, mostly in labor.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:05 PM
DrDrilZ
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

this happens in EVERY car that ive ever seen. its due to the pressure fluctuation caused from the stationary air in the vehicle and the exterior air flow.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:24 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 200 Posts

I've had this sensation in past cars but I'm guessing the air deflector works a bit better in my 4S because I can drive with just the sunroof open with no 'whooping.'
Old 02-18-2007, 09:39 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

and speaking of german engineering and airtight cars....

The text for those younger members:

It floats.

The way our body is built, we'd be surprised if it didn't. The sheet of flat steel that goes underneath every Volkswagen keeps out water, as well as dirt and salt and other nasty things that can eat away at the underside of a car. So it's watertight at the bottom. And everybody knows it's easier to shut the door on a Volkswagen after you've rolled down the window a little.

That proves it's practically airtight on top. If it was a boat, we could call it the Water Bug. But it's not a boat, it's a car.

And, like Mary Jo Kopechne, it's only 99 and 44/100 percent pure. So it won't stay afloat forever. Just long enough. Poor Teddy. If he'd been smart enough to buy a Volkswagen, he never would have gotten into hot water.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:51 PM
rfedele
Racer

Originally Posted by MJones
You have an '05?

I am picking up an '07 this week. Thrilled to hear they fixed it.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:16 PM
joe 997
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I doubt if the issue is completely fixed, as Dr Drilz said it involves laws of physics. My Benz does the same thing. Just crack a side window you won't notice the additional noise.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:48 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Default I have had this problem on my previous car

I would just adjust the position of the roof (slightly) either open it more or close it a bit and that would take care of the noise.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:56 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just ordered the 06' deflector and install kit. $103. for the deflector, and $45. for the requiste install kit all from Sunset Porsche. Approx. 1 week for delivery. Sunset says the 06' part is now listed as the replacement part for the 05' car if you have to repair of replace it.
I'm sure I could have bought it here locally and probably for the same amount when you factor shipping vs. tax, but I just can't suport the idiocy that emulates from the dealers here in Lala land.....
Old 07-23-2007, 09:48 PM
wprater
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
I just ordered the 06' deflector and install kit. $103. for the deflector, and $45. for the requiste install kit all from Sunset Porsche. Approx. 1 week for delivery. Sunset says the 06' part is now listed as the replacement part for the 05' car if you have to repair of replace it.
I'm sure I could have bought it here locally and probably for the same amount when you factor shipping vs. tax, but I just can't suport the idiocy that emulates from the dealers here in Lala land.....
Can you place the part numbers in this thread?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: sunroof vibration, noise, thumping