Sponsored by:

In RS4, out 997S

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 09:42 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default In RS4, out 997S

I know that this thread will suck without pics, but it's been a long day.

Since I don't feel like maintaining two cars, paying for two cars, etc. (since I won't drive the 911 in winter), I ended up picking up an RS4. I took it in the shorts a little on my trade, but I got the car at invoice and I'll save a few hundred a month. It's Avus Silver w/black leather, all options.

As far as comparisons to my Carrera S, it feels REALLY quick and VERY torquey. It is much roomier, has all of the same creature comforts, etc. I actually don't feel awkward in it from all the gawking I got in my 911. I miss my 911 for the "Porsche-ness" of it, but the RS4 is pushing all the buttons so far.

Pics to come tomorrow.

EDIT: PICS BELOW

Last edited by Chris from Cali; 06-13-2007 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:45 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Chris -

Your 997 is the one I'm looking to find....seal grey S with the BBS wheels. Sorry to hear/see it go.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:53 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Originally Posted by InTheAir
Chris -

Your 997 is the one I'm looking to find....seal grey S with the BBS wheels. Sorry to hear/see it go.
It'll be on sale tomorrow at Rockville Porsche/Audi in Maryland...

I'll miss it I'm sure, but I think I'll survive with my meager RS4.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:40 PM
wbellinz
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You still have your BBS rims?
Old 06-12-2007, 10:53 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Nope - selling my stock lobster claws, though...
Old 06-13-2007, 01:16 AM
CharlieJr
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris -

I made a somewhat similar choice. I test drove multiple 997's in various configurations (S, cab, 4, new, used, etc.), with the full intent to purchase. To my surprise, and great disappointment, ALL of them rattled, squeaked, and made other vibrating sounds way too much. Some of them were truly awful, and shook my confidence in the build quality of the cars.

One dealer also sold Audi's. I test drove an S4 25th anniversary model (w/DTM kit). The car was rock solid, fast, roomy - - and came with a full spare. So I bought it. After 2k+ miles I love it.

I still long for a Porsche. But with the potential engine hesitation and other reported problems, all those internal noises, etc. I just couldn't pull the trigger. My wish for the "998", dear Porsche AG, is to not worry so much about added features. Just build the thing right!
Old 06-13-2007, 01:16 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
I know that this thread will suck without pics, but it's been a long day.

Since I don't feel like maintaining two cars, paying for two cars, etc. (since I won't drive the 911 in winter), I ended up picking up an RS4. I took it in the shorts a little on my trade, but I got the car at invoice and I'll save a few hundred a month. It's Avus Silver w/black leather, all options.

As far as comparisons to my Carrera S, it feels REALLY quick and VERY torquey. It is much roomier, has all of the same creature comforts, etc. I actually don't feel awkward in it from all the gawking I got in my 911. I miss my 911 for the "Porsche-ness" of it, but the RS4 is pushing all the buttons so far.

Pics to come tomorrow.
I had the RS4 and the X51, decided to keep the X51 since I didn't need the back seat; and the Porsche was just so much more responsive (and engaging). The shifter in the RS4 was a little vague.

I predict you will be back in a Porsche soon (only because I have made the same mistake many times)
Old 06-13-2007, 01:52 AM
4thporsche
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Colm has it right. I give you a year... You'll be back... In the mean time, congrats and enjoy your new ride!!! A new car is always special.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:56 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Chris...love your avitar by the way! Is that your dog? I have had many English Bulldogs through out my years. Hate to see that awesome Porsche go but I hope you stick around here on the forums. Currently, my wife and I have our C2S Cab, BMW X3 and a BMW X5 that is ready to go back from lease the winter. We are thinking of getting a car and I am intersted in the Audi's. We are also looking at a 3 series BMW....give me your opinions.

Thanks, Mike
Old 06-13-2007, 04:46 AM
wbellinz
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you have to have one car in the mid-atlantic arear the nod goes to the RS4. I went from an S4 to a 997. The S4 / RS4 is an awesome, functional sleeper. I see a guy drive his RS4 past me every day while I walk from the train to my building. It sounds so mean!
Old 06-13-2007, 07:00 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Thanks for the insight/compliments. If I still lived in San Diego, the Carrera S would still be in my garage. I had zero complaints (other than maintenance costs) about the car. The RS4 just works better where I live. I also got the car at invoice with Audi Care (maintenance plan) thrown in.

My g/f and I already decided to get another P-car in the future - this time we'll spec it EXACTLY the way we want. Not sure what model (Cayman or 911), but it'll be nice.

Mike (mdrums) - Thanks, man! I'll be sticking around. There is a lot of knowledge to be learned here, plus lots of good folks. That is my bulldog, Bear, when he was about 8 weeks old. They are awesome dogs.

As for the 3-series, I drove the 328i and 335i and I found the 328i to be great for a daily driver. The 335i obviously had more oomph, but I didn't need that considering I already had the 911 and the cost goes up quite a bit with the 335. Also, BMWs have the 4-yr service coverage. Overall, it's a great car from my perspective.

As for the Audis, I'm a fan (this is my third) primarily because of the way they look, the build quality, and the perception of owners. There's none of that Corvette/BMW/etc. about "that driver must be a dick" or anything. If you decide to get an A4 (vs. S4 or RS4), wait until the fall since all A4s will have the S-line (sports appearance) package as standard. I love them - not as keen a driver's car as the 3, but better overall IMO.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:10 AM
gofor28off
Racer

I am also going to wade in here & compliment your choice Chris. The RS4 is an awesome car, and I feel Audi demonstrates a great deal more respect for their customers than Porsche. The cars are solid, trouble free and include perqs such as the Audi Care maintenance plan, complimentary loaner Audis and with the RS it comes standard with many things that Porsche gouges customers for such as floor mats, carbon fibre trim, metal pedals, Bose stereo, pwr/htd seats, etc, etc, etc,.
My Porsche is a few years old now but I am really beginning to resent that in order to make my 996 "right" I have to change the suspension, change the exhaust, change the stereo, change the marker lights, etc, etc; well you get the message.
Enjoy your car.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:42 AM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
As far as comparisons to my Carrera S
Old 06-13-2007, 08:55 AM
Frino
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best of luck with the RS4...it's a beast and , pitiful gas mileage aside, will provide miles of smiles. Audi is on a roll and the RS4 played a major part in leveling the playing field with BMW. You got an awesome deal that surprisingly shows demand for the RS4 has cooled considerably.

Switching to the P-car brand after driving five Audis over a 14 year period showed me that the ultimate test for an enthusiast is whether the car still evokes an emotional response after owning it for an extended period of time. For me, the RS4 didn't come close to making the emotional connection that I've enjoyed for the past year with my C2S...

Enjoy your new ride...it's already a classic.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:33 AM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

The RS4 is a beautiful car. You'll enjoy it.
My prediciton though is that you'll miss the Pcar more than you enjoy the RS4. You'll sell the RS4, buy another 911 and a low priced winter beater. I give it a year.

Quick Reply: In RS4, out 997S