Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In RS4, out 997S

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 04:41 PM
996CAB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good choice Chris...see my thread here about the RS4 and the 996TT...
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turbo-forum/358943-rs4-vs-996tt-very-impressive.html...

Increasingly, other brands are making similar performance cars which makes modern Porsches seem out of place.

I have a 993 and also own an Audi Q7. I am looking for a weekend toy however the 997 range is just too ‘common’ for my liking...am now looking elsewhere...could end with an F355.

I looked at the Audi R8 but it is just not for me...lacks instant appeal in real life...disappointing!

I do like the RS4 though...now when would Audi make an RS7 or bring to market the V12 Q7?
Old 06-19-2007, 05:48 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver
Maybe because I'm up in New Jersey but I don't think of Northern Virginia as a place that gets a foot of snow very often. I bought my p-car from a rennlist member from Maryland and they got less than a quarter of the snow I experience most years.

Good Luck with your RS4, I love the color. It is a great car and the best Audi yet.
Thanks...

Believe it or not, there is enough snow around here to render a 911 useless. Not to mention the mega-idiots prowling the streets that don't notice low-slung sports cars. On the streets around the last place I lived, the roads were never swept. I am sure it's nothing like NJ, but it's enough to rule out 365 driving.

I also owned an S4 prior to my 911 - it was a great car. I can only say that the RS4 is an order of magnitude better. I tell my Evo friends it's like the jump from a Lancer to an Evo - it's that dramatic of a difference.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:40 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 829 Likes on 458 Posts

Hey Chris
Good luck with your new RS4...it looks awesome and I am sure you'll love it. As for the Marine Corps plates...I understand. Semper Fi. My next 08 purchase maybe if I get posted to Deleware...an 08 BMW M3 coupe (with the new V8) and a manual transmission! The MRS ain't moving so if I gotta commute 80+miles a day each way I'll do it in an thoroughly ENJOYABLE manner! I'll keep my 997 too cause no way I am putting that many miles on it. Rob
Old 06-20-2007, 10:49 AM
LJpete
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by InTheAir
All right, who bought Chris' 997 from the dealer? It was up on their website for about a day or so and now it is listed as sold.

You rat, whoever you are!

Already?!?

I was going to look at the car on Friday.

Doh!

Pete
Old 06-20-2007, 03:02 PM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris!

Wicked car! I can smell the new-ness from here! I literally, out loud went "Whhhhhat!" when I saw the engine bay! And the white piping around the seats Mmmmm.

ANY chance we can hear a sound clip of that V8!? Pretty please?
Old 06-20-2007, 08:46 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Originally Posted by cleanme
Chris!

Wicked car! I can smell the new-ness from here! I literally, out loud went "Whhhhhat!" when I saw the engine bay! And the white piping around the seats Mmmmm.

ANY chance we can hear a sound clip of that V8!? Pretty please?
Thanks - it's a great car - I did a 280 mile trip to Midlothian (near Richmond, VA) and back. I wanted to see the cars @ Euroclassics since they have a ton of paint-to-sample. The guys there apologized for drooling all over it... LOL

As for sound clips, it must be experience in person! If I can get a decent digital audio recorder, I'll post it.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:21 AM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 996CAB

I looked at the Audi R8 but it is just not for me...lacks instant appeal in real life...disappointing!
i get the "not for me" part....and i might agree...perhaps the "appeal" isn't "instant" but it sure is different. personally, i think it looks hot. maybe all of our biases have something to do with it.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:45 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

The RS4 is the best sports sedan, no question about it...

Beatiful car !
Old 06-22-2007, 02:46 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

And I think it's more rare, than a 997 2S these days...

Good for Porsche, but the exclusivity and rareness is gone... You can see now much more 997's than RS4's

Right ?
Old 06-23-2007, 11:34 AM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

^ uh, you don't see any RS4's.....hec, i've only seen one other on the road and i live in los angeles county! they're definitely around in California , probably more of them here than in any other state, and by a large amount. as for porsche exclusivity? 997's are everywhere. a real shame in some ways.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:49 AM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
I also owned an S4 prior to my 911 - it was a great car. I can only say that the RS4 is an order of magnitude better. I tell my Evo friends it's like the jump from a Lancer to an Evo - it's that dramatic of a difference.
For $20k over an S4, I'd certainly hope the RS4 is an order of magnitude better.

The magazines seem to love the RS4, but my experience with the S4 showed me the S4 was too heavy, had overassisted steering, terminal understeer, poor fuel economy, an overly harsh ride, and too much roll. I'd hope your RS4 addresses those issues, especially the suspension setup and steering feel.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:34 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
For $20k over an S4, I'd certainly hope the RS4 is an order of magnitude better.

The magazines seem to love the RS4, but my experience with the S4 showed me the S4 was too heavy, had overassisted steering, terminal understeer, poor fuel economy, an overly harsh ride, and too much roll. I'd hope your RS4 addresses those issues, especially the suspension setup and steering feel.
It really does and it is an apples-to-apples comparison since my S4 was a B7. The weight is still an issue, but the brakes, engine, and suspension upgrades really help to mitigate it. The steering has a lot better feel and the ride is MUCH better (better than the 997S in Normal also). As far as understeer, I haven't run into that yet, but it feels much quicker and willing to turn than my S4 did. I don't notice much roll, either - it's a LOT lower than a stock S4.

The RS4 is really worth every penny over the S4 - and I think the S4 is a great car.

Quick Reply: In RS4, out 997S