Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In RS4, out 997S

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 12:25 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

hear ya on the gas consumption.....i got 90 miles out of a half-tank, in-city.....it's just that it's so fun to hear the engine roar!

may the news be true
Old 06-17-2007, 01:15 PM
StickShift964
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Chris, do you get the same looks from the boys in blue as you did in the 911? I would assume the RS4 is less assuming to them.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:46 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StickShift964
Chris, do you get the same looks from the boys in blue as you did in the 911? I would assume the RS4 is less assuming to them.
I never really got much attention from the cops with my 911 (much to my surprise). The RS4 is pretty low-key, so I think I'd only get pulled over if I got caught speeding (pretty much my only vice while driving). That's why I have a Marine Corps plate though.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:03 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Congrats Chris!! audi's ergonomics is top notch..
that'a a very fast sedan
Old 06-17-2007, 09:34 PM
brakinglate
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you driven the S4 ??.....my girl kinda did a double take on one after we put a deposit on 335 conv, is this a car a girl could drive with ease ..clutch heavy ?......

Thx mate
Old 06-17-2007, 10:15 PM
StickShift964
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

S4 gives a nice ride, sporty but still within the limits of a "luxury" car. I test drove one, definately could feel myself driving that every day(test drove the stick). RS4 might be a bit over the top for the majority of females, but I definately know there are a few out there that would make me want to cry riding with them on a track.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:01 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Originally Posted by brakinglate
Have you driven the S4 ??.....my girl kinda did a double take on one after we put a deposit on 335 conv, is this a car a girl could drive with ease ..clutch heavy ?......

Thx mate
I owned a B7 S4 before my Carrera S. It was a great car (one of the reasons I went for the RS4). The clutch/shifter are very easy (almost too easy). The car is also available with Tiptronic, so there is no reason it couldn't be a car for anyone.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:11 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

But, like i said before the gearbox in the RS4 is very vague and imprecise (and I've driven sticks all my life (don't like F! type boxes)). The only reasons to own it over the Carrera is the need for the back seat. It's a heavy car, with an engine over the front wheels so understeer is expected and delivered in spades (compared to rear or mid engine cars)

If there are weather considerations (no budget constraints), and no back seat required, then the C4S does the trick...for me! I always find that you get what you pay for.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:26 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Originally Posted by Colm
But, like i said before the gearbox in the RS4 is very vague and imprecise (and I've driven sticks all my life (don't like F! type boxes)). The only reasons to own it over the Carrera is the need for the back seat. It's a heavy car, with an engine over the front wheels so understeer is expected and delivered in spades (compared to rear or mid engine cars)

If there are weather considerations (no budget constraints), and no back seat required, then the C4S does the trick...for me! I always find that you get what you pay for.
I personally would not want to drive a 911 in the winter.

Also, the 911 understeered just as much as the RS4. Both are pretty neutral, but inevitably pushed at the limit. My guess is that you would change your tune if you had an RS4 for an extended period of time. It is an amazing car. To each his own (or else we'd all be driving Camrys).
Old 06-18-2007, 12:55 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had an RS4 for an extended period of time, and it was no match for a 997S (X51) especially since I didn't need a back seat. The car was heavy, the comfort features were great, fit and finish superb, the transmission vague... but in the handling driving department it was sub-par compared to the 911 ( and (again) I didn't need the back seat) so bye bye RS4 .

If heavy duty snow was my concern then the Cayenne TT would be my choice, but since I already have one of those it even made the RS4 more redundant.

Enjoy the RS4, it is great sedan, though limited in space (like all A4 models) and compromised in performance (like all sedans)..but it fits a niche (yours not mine)
Old 06-18-2007, 10:50 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by brakinglate

Thx mate
Hey Brakinglate, maybe the 335i isn't such a bad way to go. I read a recent article comparing the stock 335i to the RS4--the RS4 was only 0.1 seconds faster to 60 MPH. With a price tag $25000 lower than the RS4, the Bimmer seems like a bargain! The article is at:

http://www.autospies.com/news/BMW-33...eat-RS4-14022/
Old 06-18-2007, 05:22 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I want a ride in it some day.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:08 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Originally Posted by MrBonus
I want a ride in it some day.
Done deal - I still can't wait to see those LMs in person...
Old 06-19-2007, 12:10 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have both (sort of) I have a 996 C4S and an 05 S4. I went to look at the RS4 last week (since my lease is up soon on the S4) and New Jersey dealer wanted full sticker and no test drives.

Both are great cars. The S4 is my daily driver, and what I use for the bad weather, and driving my wife and daughter etc. The 996 is my fun car. I think if I only could choose one and back seats didn't matter, I would choose the p-car.

Regarding the S4, you can get rid of a lot of the understeer by adding aftermarket sway bars. I spent $300 on H-sport sways bars and it made a world of difference, totally transforming the car.

Road and Track had a good comparsion test last year, the 997 C2S vs RS4. The conclusion is that they are both greats cars, the p-car is a great SPORTS CAR and the RS4 a great SPORTS SEDAN. I agree.

I test drove the 335i, it's not a sports car. It does have good power and a lot of torque compared to the M3 I used to own, but it is definitely slanted toward luxury daily driver. It is no sports car.

Maybe because I'm up in New Jersey but I don't think of Northern Virginia as a place that gets a foot of snow very often. I bought my p-car from a rennlist member from Maryland and they got less than a quarter of the snow I experience most years.

Good Luck with your RS4, I love the color. It is a great car and the best Audi yet.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:37 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

All right, who bought Chris' 997 from the dealer? It was up on their website for about a day or so and now it is listed as sold.

You rat, whoever you are!

Quick Reply: In RS4, out 997S