Sponsored by:

RMS Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 10:35 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by cdodkin
Interesting - search for rms fail in the 996 GT2/GT3 forum - you get two hits, non of which are rms failures

Do the same in the 996 forum, you get 85 hits.

That tell you anything?

The 996 GT3 cars use a 964 derived crank case so they don’t suffer the same probs as the later designed 986 (boxster ) & 996 cases & cranks,
i.e. they use the earlier designed conventional rotary seal not the hard plastic RMS which fails.

So the very very few RMS failures in these cars should not be confused with the general 996/986 RMS failures.

It's not the same deal, not the same part, not the same issue.
Mike K. has had a couple himself.

I agree with you that it does not seem as prevalent with the GT1 derived Turbo/GT2/3 engine.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:20 PM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Show me where I have ever proclaimed myself 997 Forum leader and I will gladly paypal you $100.00. Should be pretty easy for you if you are in the habit of speaking the truth. But if you were lying again this will prove to the thousands here that you indeed are in the habit of posting misinformation, and shouldn't be trusted. And this little challenge will be an excellent proof of that.

What happened at that favorite forum of yours? Did they finally catch on to you?

I'll deliver us$1000 ($100 is nothing) to you IN PERSON if you read the following which will help you understand your uniqueness and "leadership" role here:

We need to realize that there is another group which I would term as "online bullies" or "internet bullies" who can become equally destructive in undermining communities.

These gentlemen/ladies differ from trolls in the sense that they are not anti-social, but they are an accepted and sometimes

well-respected members who assume a sort of informal and unofficial leadership role.

They use this position to intimidate and assert their views on newer and less established members and often push their weight around to mark territorial rights. They will generally try and behave properly, but subtly try and behave like moderators and preach about forum behaviour. They will also turn and insult people as they wish and surprisingly other forum members will turn a blind eye to them.

They will usually "adopt" ownership of
a single forum or a subforum of a board and hang out there frequently with their clan. (this feature is usually more common in larger forums)

These people are often the starting point of cliques because they can

gather a group of yes-people around them in no time.

1.Bullies can cause enormous damage to a forum by their behaviour.
2. Bullies usually have excellent communication skills using which they attack their opponents unmercifully.
3. Bullies can be intimidating to any normal forum user.
4. Bullies have the effect of creating bad blood.
5. Bullies are hard to control without intervention right from the top - the forum administrator(s) or owner(s) because even moderators might find it hard to control them without support from others.
6.Bullies are more or less regular forum members who might have a huge post count and a following.
7. Bullies intimidate other members by throwing their weight around and using their group of yes-people to lend force to their powerful attacks.
8. Bullies regular members and they have a huge post count.
9. Bullies enjoy fighting and run around bashing everybody who dares oppose them.
10. The potential damage done by bullies is forum-wide and not related to topics, but to the personality of the bully and the kind of respect and influence he wields.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:07 PM
John NY-Naples
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MMD, are you really going to give OCBen $1000 for just reading the text of your post? There must be a typo in there somewhere. In any case, I am relatively new here, and from the short time I've been participating, I think MMD, OCBen and many others contribute a lot to this forum. I suggest you guys bury the hatchet and move on to more positive things like . . . what was the subject of this thread again?
Old 04-30-2007, 05:42 PM
The B
Racer

Originally Posted by PTEC
I still don't get why people **** the bed when they see a 997 with an RMS leak. Early cars were fitted with the old seal, fact. Another fact is the new seal is much, much improved so just take the thing in and have it fixed.
Maybe I can help: I had my RMS replace 3 times in the first 8 mos. of ownership. I was pissy about it because none of my past 60k-110k+ cars ozzed oil on friends driveway (brick) and required me to drive "Smoke infested Nissan Altima rentals" for more than a month of the first year of having it.

Good thing these are so much fun to drive when they are not in the shop.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:46 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Hey B:

3X sounds excessive, and I'm not being a smartass, sir...

Did you get a new motor out of the deal? I hope so.

-don
Old 04-30-2007, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by The B
Maybe I can help: I had my RMS replace 3 times in the first 8 mos. of ownership. I was pissy about it because none of my past 60k-110k+ cars ozzed oil on friends driveway (brick) and required me to drive "Smoke infested Nissan Altima rentals" for more than a month of the first year of having it.

Good thing these are so much fun to drive when they are not in the shop.
I wonder if the same tech did the first 2 replacements?
Old 04-30-2007, 11:14 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thats really irevalant, changin t he seal isnt rocket science, any body who can pull the trans and has the tools can chnage the seal
Old 05-01-2007, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
thats really irevalant, changin t he seal isnt rocket science, any body who can pull the trans and has the tools can chnage the seal
Not really when it took the third try to get it right and that's assuming it's finally right now. Unfortunately over the years I've experienced even this simplest repairs not done properly the first or even second time.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:32 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

there is no way to mess up a seal instalation, just becasue the seal leaked doesnt make it the techs fault, the rms is not always the source of the leak, the case bolts and the ims also leak, are they changing bith when the fix your leak?
Old 05-01-2007, 10:54 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by John NY-Naples
MMD, are you really going to give OCBen $1000 for just reading the text of your post? There must be a typo in there somewhere. In any case, I am relatively new here, and from the short time I've been participating, I think MMD...contributes[s] a lot to this forum.
Please don't encourage him. You'll only invite more of the same. Just take this thread for example. The record here speaks for itself.

For some reason he thinks only hobbiests like himself bother to join these forums and he finds it hard to believe that engineers and scientists and technical experts are actually here as members of Rennlist. That's why he appears to have the impression that the more he reads about things on the internet and magazines the smarter he is than anybody else on these matters.

And as you've seen here, as soon as someone points out his inaccuracies he lashes out at them in a vicious mean spirited attack just as he attacked 99firehawk, a noted Porsche technician:
Why don't you correct my "misinformation?" Because _you_ don't know what you're talking about.

I subscribe to and read "Excellence," and "Panorama."

That's where I get my info on RMS.

Do the research and learn about the RMS.

There. Feel better?
And then when I tried to give these guys a heads-up to let them know who they were dealing with, he lashes out at me in a profanity laced attack for exposing him:
Why don't you STFU and go attack someone else; maybe find some gang members on a street corner to harrass?
In an apparent rage now he turns and lashes out at JasonAndreas, another techical expert, when Jason tries to correct him and goes out of his way to try to explain things to him:
Read my freekin' post and don't misquote me.
But for some bizarre reason he saves his most vile attacks for me - maybe because he knows I'm a standup guy and his vicious attacks merely betray his deep jealousies. But we can all see through his attempts at manipulation. How he always tries to manipulate things and make me out to be the bad guy when he is clearly demonstrating sociopathic behavior and himself is a passive aggressive bully. The record here speaks for itself. His posts speak for themselves.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
there is no way to mess up a seal instalation, just becasue the seal leaked doesnt make it the techs fault, the rms is not always the source of the leak, the case bolts and the ims also leak, are they changing bith when the fix your leak?
I have read two separate articles about these seals not even being properly installed at the factory and one of the reasons for the redesign of the installation tool was to help correct this problem. Perhaps in the case here where it took three times to get it right, it could be possible the two new replacement seals plus the original 07 factory seal were all defective. Brad the installation of anything no matter how simple can be "messed up". Let's just agree to disagree on this one .
Old 05-01-2007, 12:34 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by OCBen
How he always tries to manipulate things and make me out to be the bad guy when he is clearly demonstrating sociopathic behavior and himself is a passive aggressive bully.
Get some psychotherapy, ignore my posts and re-read below to recognize you are an internet bully. You've attacked dozens of people here "unmercilessly," anything they do/say to defend themselves you use against them and attempt to persuade others that _they_ are the aggressors, they have nothing worthwhile to contribute and therefore they deserve your derision.

Re read:-------------------------------------------

We need to realize that there is another group which I would term as "online bullies" or "internet bullies" who can become equally destructive in undermining communities.

These gentlemen/ladies differ from trolls in the sense that they are not anti-social, but they are an accepted and sometimes well-respected members who

assume a sort of informal and unofficial leadership role.

They use this position to intimidate and assert their views on newer and less established members

and often push their weight around to mark territorial rights.

They will generally try and behave properly, but subtly try and behave like moderators and preach about forum behaviour.

They will also turn and insult people as they wish and surprisingly other forum members will turn a blind eye to them.

They will usually "adopt" ownership of
a single forum or a subforum of a board and hang out there frequently with their clan. (this feature is usually more common in larger forums)

These people are often the starting point of cliques because they can gather a group of yes-people around them in no time.

1.bullies can cause enormous damage to a forum by their behaviour.
2. bullies usually have excellent communication skills using which they attack their opponents unmercifully.
3. bullies can be intimidating to any normal forum user.
4. bullies have the effect of creating bad blood.
5. bullies are hard to control without intervention right from the top - the forum administrator(s) or owner(s) because even moderators might find it hard to control them without support from others.
6.Bullies are more or less regular forum members who might have a huge post count and a following.
7. Bullies intimidate other members by throwing their weight around and using their group of yes-people to lend force to their powerful attacks.
8. Bullies regular members and they have a huge post count.
9. Bullies enjoy fighting and run around bashing everybody who dares oppose them.
10. The potential damage done by bullies is forum-wide and not related to topics, but to the personality of the bully and the kind of respect and influence he wields.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:31 PM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

The vast majority of RMS issues have occurred where seals have either worn on the crank, or the crank has sat in one offset position for a long time causing deformation of the seal, and hence a leak. (People who don't drive their cars often!)

CDodkin
Thanks very much for this explanation. I have had two RMS and one IMS replaced so far (car is an 01 996). It is stored winters (Oct to mid-April). This year, I did notice a small amount of seepage immediately after removing from storage and local Porsche tech said that RMS was gone again. I decided to wait (based on good advice from felllow members) and oil seepage has completely disappeared. I suspect that some driving took care of the problem.
Your explanation of a deformed seal due to lack of use makes perfect sense. My thought is to start and run the car regularly (yes, I will get it to operating temperature on the road) when weather permits during the winter, therefore changing crank position.
Thanks again
Cheers
Ian
Old 05-01-2007, 03:56 PM
DrDrilZ
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

i didnt read the whole thread but i just love when MMD and OCBEN go at it. LOL! between ocbens misinformation and thinking he knows more than he actually does, and mmd's negative attitude towards everything, its awesome!!!

i expect to get a pm from ben again, lol
Old 05-01-2007, 04:08 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DrDrilZ
i didnt read the whole thread but i just love when MMD and OCBEN go at it.....it's awesome!!!
The pleasure is all mine in entertaining you with my perfect foil.
I'm here all week. ..... Try the salmon this time.
Oh, and don't flatter yourself. You're gonna have to do a lot better
than that if you're hoping for a PM from me.

Last edited by OCBen; 05-01-2007 at 05:04 PM.

Quick Reply: RMS Question