Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default McGuires XT wax

anyone have a view on this product?
Old 04-21-2007, 09:44 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

You mean NXT? Many will (probably) offer inputs, but IMHO there are some better products, like P21S, that are in that price range. This is really a personal preference area and there are perhaps as many opinions on polishes and waxes as there are members on Rennlist!

Color, time you want to spend etc, etc all play a part in your decision
Old 04-21-2007, 10:19 PM
JJS 03S
Instructor

Originally Posted by DerivativesGuy
anyone have a view on this product?
I'm not a concours detailing expert, but I like the NXT product. It is easy on and easy off and does not leave any white powder residue. It is now my preferred wax. It is worth a try.
-Jay
Old 04-21-2007, 10:26 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I've not used it, but I know the guys in the concours forum don't think very well of it. Try out Zaino Z2 or Klasse. They are both sealants that are easy on, easy off, and last a very long time.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:28 AM
wbellinz
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Go to http://www.detailersdomain.com/ and buy some real wax (http://www.detailersdomain.com/index...TS&Category=3). The wax is called Menzerna FMJ (Full Molecular Jacket). The owner of the company (Phil) is awesome to deal with. I just bought a bunch of stuff there. Definitely worth a look. Phil is more than happy to chat or email you through what products to use and how to use them. He does some crazy detailing jobs. If you are in the NY metro area I would considering using his detail serviced. For ~$200 it is well worth it. He has pictures of many of his jobs. He has done a lot of P cars. I have never had anyone other than me wash / detail me cars, but I would completely trust Phil with any of my cars.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:37 AM
mal28
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Zaino, love their products
Old 04-22-2007, 10:05 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

I have used it and like it.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:29 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

NXT isn't bad, but it doesn't last very long (1 or 2 weeks). I used to use it, but now I've switched to Optimum Poli-Seal followed by P21S concours wax. Better shine/depth and just as easy to use with no residue on rubber parts.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:34 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As with any wax, it's all about the prep, not just the product.

Given that you wash, clay and polish with good techniques & products, NXT can give you a great finish like this:

It's easy on and easy off as stated, although one tip I'd give is to let it set-up for 30 mins (in the shade) before you buff it off.

As for one wax being 'better' than another.

You can look at depth of shine and longevity as two key features to compare.

NXT has great shine, and with care can last well - especially if you apply two coats when you wax.

There are products that have a deeper shine, but don't last as long s NXT - these are carnauba waxes such as P21s and Pinnacle.

Also there are products that last longer than NXT, synthetic sealants such as Klasse will allow you to maintain a shine for longer - it is however more difficult to apply evenly.

Here is Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze, applied to my Guards Red 986.

Gives a great deep shine and really lasts long time - A Porter Cable was used for even application. The car was washed, clayed and polished first - as I said, it's all about the prep.

There's also plenty of BS around spending 10s, 100s or even 1000s on waxes to get you 'that shine'.

It's the same marketing technique that sells cosmetics.

Put it in a small jar, put some pseudo-science psycho-bable on the side, charge an arm and a leg, suggest you need to apply using your bare hands... etc etc....

It's more about preparation and technique - but the marketing boys will always try to tell you it's all about their product.

So NXT is great, off the shelf, easy to use, gives good shine with good prep.

Oh, and it smells great too!

If you want more longevity, then look at the sealants such as Klasse.

Check out the free advice online at Autopia Car Care.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/how-to.html

Chris.

Last edited by cdodkin; 04-22-2007 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:45 PM
drj9000
Intermediate

http://www.pinnaclewax.com/
Old 04-22-2007, 03:22 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't bother with the complex products (ie: Zaino). I've tried all sorts of regular waxes and polymers. I didn't like NXT because it was harder to buff than Eagle 1's NanoWax. I do, however, like the NXT Quick Detailer more than I like the NanoWax version. So, I go NanoWax first, then a quick spritz with the NXT Detailer after every wash. Very quick, very easy, and fantastic results.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:27 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

DerivativesGuy, check out www.autopia.org (forums) and/or www.autopia-carcare.com for some very insightful detailing related Q&A.

regards
Old 04-22-2007, 04:09 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
I don't bother with the complex products (ie: Zaino). I've tried all sorts of regular waxes and polymers. I didn't like NXT because it was harder to buff than Eagle 1's NanoWax. I do, however, like the NXT Quick Detailer more than I like the NanoWax version. So, I go NanoWax first, then a quick spritz with the NXT Detailer after every wash. Very quick, very easy, and fantastic results.
Ron,

FYI - NXT becomes easier to buff if you leave it for 30 mins, or even 1 hr before before you buff-off the car.

Then it's real easy.

Just a 'feature' of the product.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:15 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
I don't bother with the complex products (ie: Zaino).
Zaino gets a bad rap for being complicated primarily imho because they offer so many different products, and because the Zaino web site is a bit confusing. The truth is that if you just want to put a nice shine on your car from time to time, Zaino is one of the easiest wax/sealants you can buy. You take Z2 and mix 4-5 drops of ZFX accelerant into it, wipe it on, and wipe it off. It takes 1oz to do a 911, and the treatment lasts for months. If you are a car care fanatic, and want to clay bar, remove micro-scratches, ... then Zaino or any other treatment gets more complicated. But, if you just want a shiny car, and want to spend more time driving than waxing it, Zaino Z2 is hard to beat, and is not complicated at all, and requires very little effort..
Old 04-22-2007, 04:24 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Because i wash and wax my car frequently i looked for an exceptionally easy to apply and remove wax resulting in a brilliant shine.After much trial and error I have used Malms extreme wax for 2 years now.Its the best wax for a white car in my opinion.

Quick Reply: McGuires XT wax