Sponsored by:

Battery Tender

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 04:05 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Dariof
Thanks, Ben for the name. I will probably get one and leave my Battery Tender for my other batteries. My Battery Tender doesn't have a cigarette adapter anyway....hopefully the Sears brand does.

I'll then place a Porsche insignia on the Sears Charger (maybe I'll have my 8 year old draw one on) and then I can pretend it is official Porsche.

Ben, can you please PM me your number? I had it in one of your other PM's but now can't find it. Thanks.
Sure thing, Dario.

Here's a link with a pic. It comes with several adapters - a hard wired set of connectors, a pair of battery clamps, and a cigarette lighter adapter - that you can simply plug into the outlet cables of the maintainer. (Oh, PM sent.)

Old 04-16-2007, 04:07 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by MMD
Since many arguments here seem mostly for one-upsmanship and not a mutual desire to be helpful, I have to ask "approved' by whom?
Well, for one, it has the seal of approval from the Underwriters Laboratories. And that's all the approval I need.

Apparently what seems to escape your understanding is that the battery in a Porsche is not a unique, specially designed battery that only Porsche makes and that must be replaced by another Porsche battery because of its unique properties, otherwise failure to do so and your Porsche could possibly encounter electrical failure. If that were the case, you might have a point.

But the fact is there is nothing special about a lead-acid battery, no matter whose name is on the case. Lead-acid batteries have not changed much since the mid-19th century when the French physicist, Gaston Planté, invented it. A 12V lead-acid battery is just a collection of 6 cells in series that produces high surge currents for the primary purpose of cranking over your car in the coldest of days. Nothing more high tech than that - sorry.

The 12V outlets in your car (including the cigarette lighter) are in direct parallel contact with the terminals of your battery. When a battery maintainer is plugged into one of them current from the maintainer will flow directly into the battery, charging it, provided the voltage output of the maintainer is greater than the voltage of the battery, as any high school student of physics can tell you.

No other electrical circuits are affected in this parallel connection. In fact, when your alternator is charging your battery it does so on this same parallel circuit when it's putting out the 14V or so for a net potential difference of 2V, for fast charging of your battery on the go.

By comparison the output of a maintainer is only 12V - that's it. Which means that if your battery is already at 12V it stops charging, as there is obviously no potential difference to cause current flow. But as soon as it drops to 11.95V because of the constant draw from electrical components, the maintainer kicks in and slowly brings it back up to 12V. It's just a trickle charger, and as the name implies it's just a trickle amount of current that is used to maintain the battery at 12V exactly.

So there you have it. The mystery of the battery maintainer has been demystified. The Underwriters Laboratories seal of approval verifies that the design and construction are indeed as claimed.

Your problem is that you have a habit of criticizing in areas where you obviously have no knowledge:
Originally Posted by MMD
...Save a few bucks and risk thou$ands in damage on your heavily-computerized us$100K car? Not a very good investment, IMO.
In a lesser Porsche board where most of the members are no smarter than you in matters like this, you might come across as someone who knows a lot and might even be looked upon for helpful information. But here on Rennlist, a top notch board where there are many knowledgeable, highly technical individuals, you won't be able to get away with pretending that you know when you clearly don't.

People like yourself who don't know any better will buy the Porsche branded battery maintainer because they think they're getting a better performing product when in fact they're not.

But that's why people like yourself come here so they can learn and save money in the process. That's why many gladly pay back what they've gained by donating to this site and signing up for a Rennlist Membership.

So think twice before criticizing in matters where you clearly have no knowledge, as you will certainly be corrected.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:15 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Sure thing, Dario.

Here's a link with a pic. It comes with several adapters - a hard wired set of connectors, a pair of battery clamps, and a cigarette lighter adapter - that you can simply plug into the outlet cables of the maintainer. (Oh, PM sent.)

Thank you, Ben.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:57 PM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Well, for one, it has the seal of approval from the Underwriters Laboratories. And that's all the approval I need.
LOL

I believe that UL approval concerns the various homeowners insurance companies and the product manufacturers.

Will be hilarious when you shout "UL Approved!" after your car's electronics get fried and Porsche asks if you used "approved Porsche accessories" like stated in the warrenty.

Just do WTF you want. You're no smarter than any other amateur car guy on one of these car _hobby_ forums.

One of the many proofs of this was when you tried to justify the safety of using plastic Chinese-made car ramps WITHOUT jack stands!

Have a nice day Ben.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:35 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by MMD
...after your car's electronics get fried...
Marcel, you're ignorance is beyond comprehension. I would really be surprised if you actually graduated from high school. In fact, you seem to still be in high school considering your immature antics.

Quick Reply: Battery Tender