Sponsored by:

Porsche Driving Experience

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 09:39 AM
John NY-Naples
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Porsche Driving Experience

I just returned from taking the high performance driving class at the PDE, which is now called the Porsche Sport Driving School. Below are some pictures I took.

It was a great experience. The sessions in both the classroom and on the track leave you a much better driver, with a greater understanding of car dynamics. A couple of "facts" I learned, which may have been obvious to many of you, but were news to me:

1. No need to downshift when stopping a manual car. This used to be necessary in the past when automobile brakes were poor. The quality of the brakes in today's cars obviate the need to utilize engine braking. Engine braking creates needless stress on the transmission.

2. Assuming proper tire inflation, a screeching noise suggests that you have pushed the car to its limit. When driving with the PSM on, the moment you see the traction control light flashing, it is indicative of the fact that you made a driver error (unless you are stuck in snow or mud).

3. Although many "experienced" drivers use "heel-toe" driving method regularly, it really is not necessary in everyday street driving. The cars have "synchros" that will match the revs to minimize the stress on the transmission.

4. The 911, Cayman, Boxster and Cayennes are all amazing cars. I never realized how fact you can take a turn, without rolling the car. These cars can take a beating, and still come back for more.

5. Each year, these cars are auctioned off to various Porsche dealers. While I do appreciate the amount of abuse these cars can take, I would be reluctant to purchase a Porsche that's gone through these classes.

6. Driving fact can get a bit scary at times, but it's also extremely exhilarating. You do get thrown around a bit while driving. One of the fellas in the class had some motion sickness issues throughout the two days of driving.

7 I plan on taking my kids to this as soon as they are old enough to drive. I believe it will make them safer drivers.
Attached Images       
Old 04-14-2007, 10:37 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad that you had a great time!!
The PDE (PSDS) program is outstanding and should be required for all Porsche owners!!

Now you should consider the Masters!! It will take you to another level.

I will be attending the next Masters in less than two weeks...second time this year!
Always a great time!!
Old 04-14-2007, 10:55 AM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,017 Likes on 520 Posts

Did they mention double clutching when downshifting? Even with sychros in my previous cars I found that double clutching allowed me to get into a lower gear in a much smoother manner.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:58 AM
THinthedesert
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John NY-Naples
I just returned from taking the high performance driving class at the PDE, which is now called the Porsche Sport Driving School....
Thanks for the info & the pictures.

Did you take the 2 day "Performance" class??
Old 04-14-2007, 12:23 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm just curious - how much of it is high speed driving? (how often are you 100+?). I did the BMW Performance Center delivery and it was only one day of exciting stuff, but my only disappointment is they used cones to take away the main straight so you rarely got over 80.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:19 PM
bdmason
Instructor

Originally Posted by John NY-Naples
I just returned from taking the high performance driving class at the PDE, which is now called the Porsche Sport Driving School. Below are some pictures I took.

It was a great experience. The sessions in both the classroom and on the track leave you a much better driver, with a greater understanding of car dynamics. A couple of "facts" I learned, which may have been obvious to many of you, but were news to me:

1. No need to downshift when stopping a manual car. This used to be necessary in the past when automobile brakes were poor. The quality of the brakes in today's cars obviate the need to utilize engine braking. Engine braking creates needless stress on the transmission.

2. Assuming proper tire inflation, a screeching noise suggests that you have pushed the car to its limit. When driving with the PSM on, the moment you see the traction control light flashing, it is indicative of the fact that you made a driver error (unless you are stuck in snow or mud).

3. Although many "experienced" drivers use "heel-toe" driving method regularly, it really is not necessary in everyday street driving. The cars have "synchros" that will match the revs to minimize the stress on the transmission.

4. The 911, Cayman, Boxster and Cayennes are all amazing cars. I never realized how fact you can take a turn, without rolling the car. These cars can take a beating, and still come back for more.

5. Each year, these cars are auctioned off to various Porsche dealers. While I do appreciate the amount of abuse these cars can take, I would be reluctant to purchase a Porsche that's gone through these classes.

6. Driving fact can get a bit scary at times, but it's also extremely exhilarating. You do get thrown around a bit while driving. One of the fellas in the class had some motion sickness issues throughout the two days of driving.

7 I plan on taking my kids to this as soon as they are old enough to drive. I believe it will make them safer drivers.
Thank You very helpful info
Old 04-14-2007, 02:22 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Thanks for posting John.
Each time somebody posts their great experience at PDE pushes me one step closer to making the time to go.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:10 PM
kw_1055
Instructor

Originally Posted by MJones
Glad that you had a great time!!
The PDE (PSDS) program is outstanding and should be required for all Porsche owners!!

Now you should consider the Masters!! It will take you to another level.

I will be attending the next Masters in less than two weeks...second time this year!
Always a great time!!
I know that you have done many PDE's. My question is how much more do you learn from that compare to DE classes with the PCA etc.?
Also, can you jump to Masters if you have done many DE but not the PDE before?
Thanks.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:09 PM
John NY-Naples
Racer

It was a two-day class. The track has many many curves, so the occasion to reach high speed was limited. I did get over 100 mph on one of the straights. In terms of the hours behind the wheel, we spent about two hours in class each morning. On the first day, we learned about basic car dynamics -- letting off of the accelerator and even braking to shift the weight of the car to the front when the car is "plowing"; easing up on the brakes to shift the weight to the rear when "over-steering", etc. We then were taken to the track, where the instructors drove us around the tack in a minivan to give us basic instruction on how to hit the various turns on the track. We were then separated into groups of four with one instructor. Each ov us was given a Carrera. We followed the instructor in single file, and after each lap, we would take turns following the instructor. Each Carrera was "connected" to the instructor, who would comment on the driving performance. After a couple of hours of driving, we went onto the skidpad, which is a sealed flat space with constant water flowing. They reduced the airpressure in the Carrera, and we'd purposely try to lose control of the car, so that we can learn to correct the error. Thereafter, we drove a Boxster on the motorcross -- narrow lanes made of cones, which we would drive through as quickly as possible. We next drove a Cayman on another path of cones to learn where to look when taking turns quickly. After that, we had lunch, and then back to the track to repeat the morning.

The second day was more of the same, except that we drove the Carrera S, with ceramic rotors. While the regular rotors on my 997S seemed fine on street driving, having ceramic rotors makes a huge difference on the track. I didn't appreciate the distinction until I drove the 997 without the ceramics, and then the 997S with the ceramics.

We then spent the afternoon of the second day competing on time to finish the motorcross. My group came in second place.

As an aside, they are scheduling a women only classe in September. They are already full. I am very seriously thinking about sending my wife, who has a speeding problem. I figure the class may not make her slow down, but at least she'd learn how to do it safely.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:38 PM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

Great shots there John! Looks like the weather cooperated for the most part!
Old 04-14-2007, 07:08 PM
John NY-Naples
Racer

The weather was perfect. Mid 70's and sunny the first day. Slight drizzle in the morning on the second day, but dried up by the time we were on the track.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:42 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Thanks for sharing John....sounds like you got a lot out of it

Last edited by adfsouth; 04-14-2007 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:18 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

By the end of the second day I started glancing at the speedo in the straights. The car was still accelerating at 124mph going into the 1st turn. I did the 2 day course back in March and by the end of the 2nd day my whole group had enough and most were ill with motion sickness! That was good for me because my instructor took me out to follow him at much higher rates of speed for a good 30min. Peter my instructor told me he will go faster the closer I stay to him and if I make no mistakes and fall behind. I stayed right on his rear bumper and we really picked up the pace compared early in the 2nd day. I could have keep lapping and lapping! My instructor told me afterwards we were pushing the limits and I could tell in the car with the feedback. I would have never got to that place in my driving with out the awesome highly professional instruction I received from Peter Litzenberger, Daniel Eastman, Cass Whitehead, Owen trinkle, Rich Hull and Hurley Haywood whom all work with me.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:24 AM
John NY-Naples
Racer

I met Daniel Eastman and Hurley. Great guys.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:48 AM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

I attended PDE last year and it's a wonderful event. Glad you had a great time. Thanks for the information about the women's only event. I didn't know they had this. I will also have to tell my wife about it. Again enjoy learning how to drive the 911 properly and do the Masters as MJones has recommended.

Jay

Quick Reply: Porsche Driving Experience