Sponsored by:

997 S software upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 12:07 PM
N2XSSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 S software upgrades

Anyone have any first or second hand opinions/experience of what to expect with software upgrades for these cars with Revotecnik/GIAC/etc?
I am thinking of doing this soon, coupled with complete exhaust and intake plenum, but wondering if it's really worth the expense, especially the software changes.
I know there has been alot of talk about exhaust performance changes, but haven't come across much about the software effect on this car. My search on Revotecnik came up with only a few comments, none very helpful.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:27 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by N2XSSPD
Anyone have any first or second hand opinions/experience of what to expect with software upgrades for these cars with Revotecnik/GIAC/etc?
I am thinking of doing this soon, coupled with complete exhaust and intake plenum, but wondering if it's really worth the expense, especially the software changes.
I know there has been alot of talk about exhaust performance changes, but haven't come across much about the software effect on this car. My search on Revotecnik came up with only a few comments, none very helpful.
I do think there could be some gains, but mainly I would do it to remap the throttle which I find a tad lethargic.

Dave
Old 03-29-2007, 04:18 PM
elh0102
Instructor

If you have tried this software and like the difference, then it's worth what it is worth to you. If you quantify the performace enhancement by track times, you would be hard pressed to justify any of this stuff. Different tires would probably mean more. But then, that's not why we do this crazy stuff anyway. Words like value, worth, and reasonable, should rarely enter the discussion.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:59 PM
N2XSSPD
Rennlist Member

How ironic--just tried posting, but was eaten up by website upgrade, so here it goes again.

I did ride in a 997S with the plenum/cargraphic complete exhaust/revotechnik, and with the stock air cleaner assembly, and it definitely snapped my head back on WOT--to me the car was not questionably, but definitely faster, with great exhaust sound to boot.

Those upgrades are pricey, and the ride was in the beach area in S CA on 91 pump gas. I live at 2000 feet elevation, and I know performance at sea level is better, how much better maybe someone else knows?

Considering there aren't may other options on a nonturbo car, these changes were impressive. Just trying to decide whether to go ahead and mimic that car--really my only concern is the possible warranty issue with the software change, but probably most problems that I read about with this motor wouldn't be caused by the Revo software change. More thought/comments?
Old 03-29-2007, 06:14 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by N2XSSPD
How ironic--just tried posting, but was eaten up by website upgrade, so here it goes again.

I did ride in a 997S with the plenum/cargraphic complete exhaust/revotechnik, and with the stock air cleaner assembly, and it definitely snapped my head back on WOT--to me the car was not questionably, but definitely faster, with great exhaust sound to boot.

Those upgrades are pricey, and the ride was in the beach area in S CA on 91 pump gas. I live at 2000 feet elevation, and I know performance at sea level is better, how much better maybe someone else knows?

Considering there aren't may other options on a nonturbo car, these changes were impressive. Just trying to decide whether to go ahead and mimic that car--really my only concern is the possible warranty issue with the software change, but probably most problems that I read about with this motor wouldn't be caused by the Revo software change. More thought/comments?
4% loss in power for every 1k feet in elevation...just a FYI.

Dave
Old 03-29-2007, 06:31 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
4% loss in power for every 1k feet in elevation...just a FYI.

Dave
I've always heard 3%.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:33 PM
strtswpr997
Intermediate

I have the GIAC software in my car. the day before i got it i did a run with my freind we were dead even. Then we did another run after a got the GIAC I walked him pretty easily even with a passenger in my car. As far as noticing any changes, i honestly didnt, but obviously something did happen..
Old 03-29-2007, 08:33 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
I've always heard 3%.

It could be..I heard both.

Dave
Old 03-29-2007, 11:52 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I ran against a friend's 997S with the Evo stage 4 kit including intake, headers, cats, muffler, and the GIAC flash for all the above. He was noticably quicker than my stock S especially from 3rd. gear on...

Quick Reply: 997 S software upgrades