Sponsored by:

looking for feedback on superchargers

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 06:01 PM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts
Default looking for feedback on superchargers

I am considering putting a supercharger on my 997S cab. If anyone here has one I'd like to hear what they think. Thanks
Old 02-21-2007, 08:12 PM
PAULSPEED
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
My brother has one on a 997 4s and he loves it. It
is a TPC superccharger and he had #R automotive install it.
Very expensive. It also took a few months to install
due to the new brackets that had to be fabricated. There
also were some electrical issues. I still need to go for
a ride in his car.
Paul
Old 02-21-2007, 08:15 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

what made him choose the tpc over the evoms?
Old 02-22-2007, 10:13 AM
1Carnut
Pro

I am told that it takes 40 hours of labor to install the TPC, that little fact is making me rethink things since I do not usually keeps cars more than a couple years
Old 02-22-2007, 11:26 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I remember many posts like this in M3 world. Most are concerned about potential impact on the engine - blow it and be faced with an expensive replacement. Something like RUF (Dinan for BMW) is looked upon with a little more comfort because of the warranty.

Then there's the school of thought that these cars are great as they are - naturally aspirated. If you want boost, then a turbo is perhaps more practical and covered by oem warranty. As far as optimizing the engine - there's always the upgraded intake, software, headers, cats, and exhaust that will let your car breath easier and boost the power / torque to boot (poor man's X51). None of these bolt ons impact warranty in my opinion because you aren't touching the internals. Good old Moss-Ferguson.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:02 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Risky buisness... compromising the integrity of your Porsche could cost...

Best of luck.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:44 PM
1Carnut
Pro

Well I have already done the exhaust and the evo air box, and added HR sway bars yesterday. I think I will just do an ECU program.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:31 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
I remember many posts like this in M3 world. Most are concerned about potential impact on the engine - blow it and be faced with an expensive replacement. Something like RUF (Dinan for BMW) is looked upon with a little more comfort because of the warranty.

Then there's the school of thought that these cars are great as they are - naturally aspirated. If you want boost, then a turbo is perhaps more practical and covered by oem warranty. As far as optimizing the engine - there's always the upgraded intake, software, headers, cats, and exhaust that will let your car breath easier and boost the power / torque to boot (poor man's X51). None of these bolt ons impact warranty in my opinion because you aren't touching the internals. Good old Moss-Ferguson.
HP should never be significantly changed independently of a car's suspension and brakes. It's a whole package and responsible tuners will address all three components and hence the charges are quite high. Moreover, why anyone would tamper with what I believe is one of the best balanced cars in the world is beyond me.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:01 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think you are suggesting that Porsche has failed to engineer the rest of the car in say the X51. They increased the efficiency of the 3.8l engine in the X51 by opening up the intake and headers and providing new software to optimize the new combination to add 26 HP (among other adjustments). But they didn't change the brakes and suspension. To support your position - 26 HP is hardly a significant boost, so the Porsche engineers must have assumed the existing brakes and suspension were adequate.

I think what you are pointing at is adding 100+ HP via a supercharger and how that might impact the balance of the car. Then again, from what I've read RUF will happily add only their supercharger. Surely, they would love to tweak wheels and suspension (lower), but I haven't read that they touch the brakes in their supercharged cars. I honestly don't have an opinion on whether or not companies like RUF should or should not mandate brake and suspension adjustments for any car they modify for significant gains. I am thinking, however, that some adjustment to the intake / exhaust efficiency sounds reasonable to me without changing what are already excellent braking and suspension systems.

To me tampering with the balance does not include things like X51 type increases of efficiency (intake, headers, exhaust, software).
Old 02-23-2007, 09:24 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just what in the world do brakes have to do with horsepower? It takes the same amount of braking ability to stop a car going 150 mph regardless of whether it took the car 10 minutes to get to that speed or 10 seconds.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:43 AM
hjacobs2000
Instructor

Great response 1999Porsche911
Old 02-23-2007, 02:21 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

I think the argument is that HP and speed are relative, and therefore speed and braking/handling are relative. On the street, if you have an additional 150 HP (as an example), the supposition is that you're like to spend more time at higher speeds. And example would be an empty road you used to drive at 60 mph, whereas now you can easily hit 90+ in areas. If the braking is the same, you may be unprepared for the change in speed. At the track, you are likely to lap the track at higher speeds, and therefore the other components may become inadequate.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:53 PM
The B
Racer

[QUOTE=gravedgr]On the street, if you have an additional 150 HP (as an example), the supposition is that you're like to spend more time at higher speeds. QUOTE]

I am considering a supercharger as a cheaper alternative to the turbo...and I only want to get to the next stoplight faster...
Old 02-23-2007, 06:24 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 677 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Just what in the world do brakes have to do with horsepower? It takes the same amount of braking ability to stop a car going 150 mph regardless of whether it took the car 10 minutes to get to that speed or 10 seconds.
That's hysterical. My MB dealer tried to tell me the same thing when with 14,000 miles on my E55 both front rotors were cracked. Now mind you the car was never tracked, the "brake warning" light never came on, but they told me due to the "chip" in my car the brakes prematurely failed. To this day I'm still floored by that comment. I asked them to explain to me how if you had two E55's one stock, the other modded and ran them both from 0-150 what is the difference? Mine might get there a bit faster, but we're both stopping from 150! They didn't get it.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:26 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

There are a number of folks over on 6speedonline with superchargers including one post of someone who had it removed IIRC.
I think the Ruf kit is probably the best way to go because of the warranty thing. Still, you're talking about adding about 20,000 USD in mods to the car and for that money you could come close to buying a turbo and not have the worries associated with heavy mods.
Check out 6Speed though - I know there are a few blown cars there.

Quick Reply: looking for feedback on superchargers