Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 07:04 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

FIW
February Panorama p63 says
2008 911 will get Direct Injection (DFI)
Optional dual-clutch for the manual trans
Carrera S HP boost to 370bhp from 355.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:04 PM
PAULSPEED
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I have a tiptronic and my wife has driven the car. She
finds the ride is to hard. I also have a five point
seat belt where one of the clips pokes her but to much.
I think that the majority of women would perfer a
smoother riding car.
Paul
Old 02-21-2007, 08:26 PM
BMWDavid
Instructor

I have a GTI with the DSG box. It makes a somewhat inexpensive but super value for the buck car feel like a million dollars. Mind you I tried a six speed manual GTI but the clutch feel sucks so the DSG makes the car feel special.

It is super slick and quick with the shifts. It is in no way like the SMG that BMW's have nor is it like Ferarri system or Lambo system. All of those cars feel crude compared to the DSG. You can use the paddles/lever for full manual control or put the lever in "S" for higher rpm shifts in auto mode.

That being said...I would probably get my Porsche with a six speed manual should I be in the market for a new Porsche. Something about rowing your own and besides so far every Porsche I've driven had great clutch/shifter feel.

But I can see the DSG style box in a Porsche if it was a daily driver in city traffic.

David
Old 02-22-2007, 10:07 PM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 67 Posts

I owned an M3 with SMG prior to getting an 06' C2S Cab with 6-Spd manual. The clutch/shift feel in the 997 is amazing. I actually liked the SMG transmission. Once i got used to it, it was every bit as engaging as a stick. I felt just as connected and in control. The wife loved it as she threw it in auto and drove hard. The one big negative to the SMG, anytime I took the car that required someone else to drive it, they never knew how to start or operate it. I have not driven the DSG but wonder what the starting and operating procedures are.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:44 AM
dndodd
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Regarding the DSG. Go test drive one. I think they are every bit as easy as a GM automatic.

I think they are great and plan to acquire an A3 with DSG.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:14 AM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 166 Posts

We own an '05 987S with a Tiptronic, and an '07 Audi A3 with the DSG transmission.
IMO, the DSG is a far superior set-up. The shifts are seamless, extremely fast, and you can shift either with the paddles on the steering wheel or with the shifter on the center console. Even when my wife drives the A3 using the "auto mode," the transmission goes through the gears very smoothly and at a rev point that matches the style of driving.
Having said all that - my 997S is a six-speed and any future Porsches I acquire will be, too. But, if I had to drive my Porsche in L.A. traffic every day, I'd opt for a DSG in a minute. It's much better than the Tiptronic in virtually every way. If you haven't driven a DSG, you should try one.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:33 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

I've been on the track in a TT with the DSG transmission, and it was very impressive. The thing is always smooth, and you've always got power. I also have an M3 with SMG, and it can be smooth but you have to cooperate with it. It's not just an "automatic" transmission; just as there's a learning curve for driving a standard transmission there's a learning curve for this. The DSG doesn't require cooperation from the driver to be smooth, however.

But I'm not interested in DSG. It's not just about smoothness and speed, it's also about involvement and pleasure. Driving a manual is more fun. Sure, lightening the driver load may be faster with an automated transmission of some type. But it's not as much fun, and for me that's what matters.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:12 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by cviles
I've been on the track in a TT with the DSG transmission, and it was very impressive. The thing is always smooth, and you've always got power. I also have an M3 with SMG, and it can be smooth but you have to cooperate with it. It's not just an "automatic" transmission; just as there's a learning curve for driving a standard transmission there's a learning curve for this. The DSG doesn't require cooperation from the driver to be smooth, however.

But I'm not interested in DSG. It's not just about smoothness and speed, it's also about involvement and pleasure. Driving a manual is more fun. Sure, lightening the driver load may be faster with an automated transmission of some type. But it's not as much fun, and for me that's what matters.
Is DSG just as quick on downshifts?
Old 02-24-2007, 03:38 PM
blueillusion97
Racer

WoW really nice reviews of DSG....i think i need to drive one again maybe there was something wrong with me when i drove it
Old 02-24-2007, 07:07 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

DSG systems are, on average, faster than SMG style transmissions. The fastest SMG are close, but it's really a moot point because of how fundamentally different these systems are. You can measure the time it takes to shift, but DSG style systems maintain a flow of power to the wheels during shifts. SMG-type systems have to interrupt the power to the wheels during the shifting operation.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:00 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I surely hope Porsche comes out with the shifting system were you do not have to press a clutch pedal and that is better than the Tiptronic! For someone like myself that is a left leg above knee amputee this is my dream! I currently drive a 2006 C2S Tiptronic. I could really use a better transmission for my track/autocross days.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:27 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the SMG in BMW's, so anything better than that is going to be great IMO. I love shifting most of the time, but sometimes it is just damn annoying, and I've never been able to get used to heel-toe. Nobody can rev match like the SMG does for downshifting. It's just so much nicer to focus on the other elements of driving. I hope Porsche does it right.

If their success is better than BMW then it will be just like the M models - most are DSG, and the manual is an exception.

Isn't there someone on these forums who continually declares that the manual transmission is "anachronistic" to the cars these days? I think I agree.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:02 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any news on PDK for 2008?

when the 2008 config spec will be avaliable?
Old 05-03-2007, 06:14 PM
blueillusion97
Racer

Dont expect it for 2008......maybe 2009 with the face lift, some say that 2009 will be 998
Old 05-04-2007, 01:21 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
Isn't there someone on these forums who continually declares that the manual transmission is "anachronistic" to the cars these days? I think I agree.

Yes. That would be me....

Quick Reply: Dual Clutch for 2008