Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After scraping the underbody across the frozen ice in my driveway...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 11:18 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default After scraping the underbody across the frozen ice in my driveway...

I've decided that this will be my final winter of daily driving my 997.

The snow doesn't bother me. The rain doesn't bother me. The thought that the plastic underpinnings may be ripped from my car by ice has finally convinced me to purchase a daily driver before next winter. I'm terrified of trying to get the car back into my garage because the ice has frozen and is immovable in its current condition. I just hope enough melts during the day so that it's less stressful tonight.

So, in the spirit of the thread, what does everyone think of either the Mazda 3, Civic Si, or Cooper S?
Old 02-17-2007, 11:22 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm a beginner driver, and was being VERY careful on the track, but I got my *** handed to me at a DE event by a young guy in a Mazdaspeed 3. I would look at those very carefully.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:36 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mglobe
I'm a beginner driver, and was being VERY careful on the track, but I got my *** handed to me at a DE event by a young guy in a Mazdaspeed 3. I would look at those very carefully.
Yes, I like those a lot.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:52 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

I guess the largest saving grace of raking the front across the ice is that the majority of the critical components are between the rear axle and rear bumper.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:01 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My father just purchased a Cooper S. I say that not only those cars remarkably fun, and exciting- they hold their vaule better then anything at that price point. The Cooper S makes a nice statement too as well as doing everything you ask of it well.

Honda's are honda's. Had'em. Race my Honda motorcycle; Mazda- blah. yuk. But a cooper is freak'n cool!

DO IT!!
Old 02-17-2007, 12:33 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Mr B - Could this be an 'iceolated' incident? I avoid any large ice bolders like the plague but have never had any problems.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:41 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Coochas
Mr B - Could this be an 'iceolated' incident? I avoid any large ice bolders like the plague but have never had any problems.
It really is but it still causes me unnecessary worry. I'm sure it wouldn't have been nearly as disturbing had my car not been lowered.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:49 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 165 Posts

Cooper S - great car. Mazda 3 - very nice, too.
Don't know how you feel about small "wagons," but we have an Audi A3 as our "utility car" and we love it. The DSG transmission is fun to drive and it's available in Quattro trim (AWD), which would be really handy in Delaware. I also like the fact that I don't see many of them on the road. At around $30k it's not too pricey either.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:04 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Cooper S!

It's a blast to drive - street or track

And on the twisties - Wooooooooo Hoooooooooo!

Don't forget that as a BMW, you also get full service free - even as a second owner. 3 Yrs as standard, and can be extended.

That covers brakes and everything!
Old 02-17-2007, 01:06 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

My friend has a Cooper S and adores it. I just wonder if it's worth the added premium over the Mazda 3. I'm also concerned with post-warranty reliability. I want something light, economical, and fun to drive that won't bury me in maintenance in upkeep.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:07 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

2nd the A3, but it probably is more pricy than the other cars you mentioned.
I don't blame you for wanting a daily driver.
I've got an A4 Avant as my daily driver and it's fantastic. The steering wheel in that car is so perfect..I wish I could take it out and put in in my 997S.

Would you maybe have the same ground clearance problems with a cooper S that you're having with your 997S?
Old 02-17-2007, 01:07 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Are any of the Audis or Cayennes within an acceptable price range for a winter vehicle? Seems to me that if your mission is to get a winter car, get one with AWD! For that matter, consider a Subaru - before the Cayenne we had a Forrester which could drive through ANYTHING.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:14 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Coochas, if its a winter car, get something AWD, small truck,SUV, etc.Those other cars you talk about are nice and would scrape as well and not be as good in snow/ice. Just something else to consider. For my everyday driver I bought a Honda Ridgeline to replace my Ram 4wd. I like the improved gas mileage, although it's not the best looking vehicle out there. Good luck with your decision.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:17 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBonus
My friend has a Cooper S and adores it. I just wonder if it's worth the added premium over the Mazda 3. I'm also concerned with post-warranty reliability. I want something light, economical, and fun to drive that won't bury me in maintenance in upkeep.
Yes, I think it's worth it!

The build quality is excellent - a very BMW feeling as you'd expect

Nothing like the original MINI, that's for sure!

I've not seen any issues cropping up that would indicate long term problems after warranty - of course most MINIs are pretty new and still covered.

Did 33,000 in mine in 3 years - had zero mechanical issues

I did require physio for permangrin

For some reason, Porsche drivers like the MINI - not sure why it's an easy transition, but it seems to be very very popular, and have that same level of club feel with forums and local clubs, etc etc

The MINI community is lively - and very similar to the Porsche one.

Also plenty of mods you can do to the MINI to keep you happy during those winter months.

The final thing I'd mention is a psychological thing.

People like your MINI, and are very positive towards you when you drive one.

It's totally different from when you're driving a 911

They will walk up to you and smile, and ask about the car, almost as if it's 'friendly' in some way.

Hard to describe - but it's a very positive experience.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:20 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ELUSIVE

Would you maybe have the same ground clearance problems with a cooper S that you're having with your 997S?
Probably not because my car is lowered and even if I did, I don't think banging a Cooper up would cause me nearly as much grief and stress.

Quick Reply: After scraping the underbody across the frozen ice in my driveway...