Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After scraping the underbody across the frozen ice in my driveway...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 08:33 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by mada1
Get a 964 or a 993.
I'm failing to see how this in any way resolves my dilemna.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:49 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

wow - im soooo happy i live in florida and can drive my car every day and put the top down approximately 325 days a year
Old 02-17-2007, 08:51 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by robbonds
wow - im soooo happy i live in florida and can drive my car every day and put the top down approximately 325 days a year
Those other 41 days, you're driving for your life, dodging the ill effects of tropical storms and hurricanes.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:56 PM
mcb
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the earlier post- get something you can get more usage from. I bought a low mileage jeep cherokee- no worries about parking lot dings, you haul more than two bags of groceries, and it goes through and over everything.

Though after owning one 2 years ago, the Mini-Cooper was a blast- but it did not fit the bill for me as a winter alternative to my- not yet arrived- C4.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:16 PM
MyEmily
Racer

All kidding a side, A VW GTI or GLI is cheap and fun and safe..Great aftermarket sale value too!!! Kids love to trick them up. Wouldn't go for hunda or hunday...Cheap sheet metals..Boy my arms are tired..Cleaning the rims are tough..Any chance of an advice on how to clean rims???
Old 02-17-2007, 09:17 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MyEmily
All kidding a side, A VW GTI or GLI is cheap and fun and safe..Great aftermarket sale value too!!! Kids love to trick them up. Wouldn't go for hunda or hunday...Cheap sheet metals..Boy my arms are tired..Cleaning the rims are tough..Any chance of an advice on how to clean rims???
My garage is heated and I use Optimum No Rinse so cleaning my car through the winter is no issue.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:49 PM
tim martin
Rennlist Member

look at the a3....i have one as my daily driver (3.2 v6 with dsg tranny)....and its almost as fun to drive as my 997...the dsg is sooo good!!!
Old 02-17-2007, 11:05 PM
CT03911
Banned

Long story why, but I got a Subaru WRX TR two months ago. It is fast, agile and killer in the snow. It has four doors and a surprising trunk with road clearance that seems great compared to the Pcar.

I got it for 20.7K. Last weekend I had it at a winter driving school in NH and it dis very well on the stock Potenza All Seasons (M&S).

For the money it is a great package indeed.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:25 PM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

Received 152 Likes on 74 Posts

I have a Subbie STi as a winter beater and daily driver (no porsche yet, have a 350Z vert as a fun car) and wouldn't recommend it unless you're willing to put up with a very harsh ride. It's a lot of fun in the snow though and it hauls ***.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:17 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Inrev
I have a Subbie STi as a winter beater and daily driver (no porsche yet, have a 350Z vert as a fun car) and wouldn't recommend it unless you're willing to put up with a very harsh ride. It's a lot of fun in the snow though and it hauls ***.
My previous car was an Evo with a catless exhaust and full coilovers and I agree.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:31 AM
SYMA
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm telling you....get something completely opposite of the Porsche. You've got the hot rod, now get a truck or jeep that you can go get the 2x4's from Home Depot with, pick up the mulch with, go buy that 60'' plasma and take it home same day, or help your friend with a move. EVERYBODY needs a truck at some point.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:33 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SYMA
I'm telling you....get something completely opposite of the Porsche. You've got the hot rod, now get a truck or jeep that you can go get the 2x4's from Home Depot with, pick up the mulch with, go buy that 60'' plasma and take it home same day, or help your friend with a move. EVERYBODY needs a truck at some point.
I'll think about it. I usually just borrow my step-dad's Tundra if I ever need to move anything.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:46 AM
SYMA
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya know, the trucks today drive so nice it's kinda refreshing in a way to get out of the 997 for a day or two and just drop the Ford truck into D and go. Hell I park my Ford under this poplar tree that drops these 1" diameter nuts and I could care less. Nice to have a utilitarian vehicle and not worry.
Good luck in your choice.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:32 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Ian -

You know I was thinking about this before winter, too, and I caught a lot of grief ("Drive your car year round, blah blah"). I feel your pain...

That said, I wanted something fun, relatively affordable, etc. and something new (you know I also had an Evo). My A3 S-Line 2.0T w/DSG is awesome. On Weds morning, the roads were completely snowed over and the A3 handled it with ZERO problems. It's a great car - completely comfortable, great for running errands, dealing with traffic, etc. When the weather improves, I'll be driving my 911 more, but the A3 is my general purpose car.

If the A3 is too pricey, consider the new GTI - I had one of those, too, and the A3 and GTI drive VERY similarly.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 02-18-2007, 12:14 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by SYMA

A very good point actually. Our other vehicle is a Honda Pilot. Bought it to haul kids & stuff, & because it's easy for my wife to drive (she's not the best driver in the world, but that's another story). It's great to have a vehicle you can haul crap in, take (and park) anywhere without worry or hassle.

Quick Reply: After scraping the underbody across the frozen ice in my driveway...