Sponsored by:

Wheel Cleaning Process?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 12:26 AM
jw1977
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wheel Cleaning Process?

I'm curious about other people's wheel cleaning process. I first spray the wheel with ONR in a sprayer then use a wheel brush on them following up with a mf towel. I'm just curious if anyone out there has a better solution?

Thanks
Old 01-29-2007, 12:37 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

I use Griot's wheel cleaner and a Boar's hair brush to scrub off the dirt and then rinse. It makes the wheels look new!
Old 01-29-2007, 12:39 AM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could combine that with a soapy wash mitt for getting inside the wheel.(depending on what kind of wheels you have) After, blow them dry so the break gunk doesn't fling off. It takes me less than a minute per wheel to wash.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:48 AM

I always wash the rims last and have only needed the car wash shampoo & water I used for the rest of the car to get them clean. In between washes if the wheels are a little dusty, I spray them with a mixture of about 1/8th windex and the rest water I keep in a sprayer bottle, then I use a damp cloth with the same solution, followed by a dry final wipe. I only wash and or clean the rims when the brakes have had adequate time to cool down and are comfortable to the touch.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:34 AM
Frino
Pro

Clean the wheels first. Hose down with cold water. Spray green wheel cleaner (I forget the brand) on a damp rag and hand wipe wheels and brake calipers. I don't spray directly on wheels for fear of discoloring red calipers. Immediately hose off. Dry with mf towel. Apply Zaino tire dressing with sponge (Z16) when dry.

Apply wheel wax once or twice a year.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:11 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jw1977
I'm just curious if anyone out there has a better solution?
Yes, read the Washing Techniques section in my car washing thread for methodology. And also here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...2&postcount=26

And for specific recommended product see:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...7&postcount=28

I'm very **** about caring for my wheels and I'll never use a brush on them to clean them, as the bristles - no matter how soft - will leave fine microscratches on the clearcoat. Not many people will notice them and so brushes for them are fine. But I notice them, and they bother me that they're there, even though most people can't see them even up close. So I always use a soft sponge on my clearcoated wheels after spraying them down with P21S wheel cleaner - the very best wheel cleaner I have found to date.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:30 AM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I clean the wheels first with car shampoo (no harsh chemicals) a dedicated wool mitt and bucket only for wheels. Once finished after drying the entire car, I will use a pressure air hose to clean the inside wheels paying particular attention to the rotors. I'll drive the car and park it for a final dry and inspection (ALL) areas and use a soft micro towel (detailer wipe spray) to completely dry and remove ALL dirt/residue from the inside of the wheels. Every three months lightly polish and wax the wheels…

I clean and separate my micro towels (wheel, body, and inside).
Old 01-29-2007, 11:19 AM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 130 Posts

Assumptions
Wheels were Rejexed from new inside and out.
Wheels are washed last (otherwise they just get wet again)

Here’s how I clean my Lobsters:
• Get a nice big bucket of warm water with car shampoo
• Grab my dedicated to wheels cleaning only soft sponge
• Grab the small foam paint brush
• Fuel the leaf blower

• Hose the wheels down
• Take a soaking sponge and wash the INSIDE of the wheels first being VERY careful not to slice my fingers open on all the sharp parts around the brakes (ask me how I know this)
• Wash the brake calipers
• Rinse
• Wash the outside of the wheels inspecting for tar etc.
• Take the foam paintbrush dip into the wash bucket and clean around the lug nuts.
• Rinse
• Blow dry!

This works really well for me. The Rejex makes removing the dirt and grime very easy with no need for hard scrubbing or wheel cleaners.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:13 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I pretty do the same as Matt (inMA). I ONLY use soap and water. Acidic wheel cleaners will ruin the center caps and paint on the calipers. Soap and water gets everthing off no problem.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:16 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

This is the first Porsche in which I realyl don't have to routinely wash the wheels. When I have them off the car I clean them, front and rear, and then I wax them with carnuba. Perhaps the ceramic rotos have a lot to do with it...
Old 01-29-2007, 12:19 PM
gweedo911
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I use P21 wheel cleaner. I think the pH is 7 or close. I doesn't damage the wheel or remove any paint. The porsche wheel brushes(kit)are great. You can use them very easy under the brake disk.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:36 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt(inMA)
Assumptions
Wheels were Rejexed from new inside and out.
Yep. +1 on the Rejex... well worth the effort. Brake dust "glides" off with a mild soap and dedicated wool mitt.

-d
Old 01-29-2007, 12:37 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by mdrums
Acidic wheel cleaners will ruin the center caps and paint on the calipers.
That's why I recommend P21S wheel cleaner as it is like a mild soap for the wheels, as Gweedo points out.

Stay away from those cheap products like Eagle 1 and the like that are typically sold at your local parts store. These are typically high in acidity and will damage the clearcoat if left on without thorough rinsing.

As I mentioned in my posts, my wheels never get that dirty so for me I prefer to use a diluted solution of P21S & water, 50-50, which works quite well for light brake dust accumulation. Besides, this is a great way to economize with this product if your wheels are seldom that dirty, as this stuff ain't cheap.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:01 PM
OCBen
Banned

As for using Rejex on the wheels, I really didn't find it any more effective than using Klasse AIO & HGSG.

First of all, I debunked Rejex's claim that all you need to do is hose off your wheels and the brake dust just slides right off. Yeah right.

Brake dust has an oily component to it - I'm not exactly sure what it is - but you can see it in your wash bucket floating on the surface. There is also the electrostatic charge of the dust that makes it stick to your wheels instead of just blowing off as you drive. So try as I did to remove it off my wheels with a high pressure hose and a dirt film remained even though some of the dust had rinsed away.

I had mentioned in an earlier post of my experiment using Rejex on the wheels on one side of my Mini and Klasse on the other side to see if Rejex performed better. I couldn't tell the difference. But I'm sure anyone will be able to tell the difference between waxed wheels and unwaxed ones when it comes to cleaning the brust dust off with a mild soap solution.

So if you already have the Klasse products no need to buy Rejex for your wheels, as any quality polymer sealant will work just as well.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:32 PM
D.D.
Race Car

I have used P21S on all my BMW and Porsche wheels for years. I have a dedicated wash mit for wheels. This way I protect my hands and give the wheels a good wash...... NO BRUSHES here...as I fear scratching the clear coat. Just a point of interest........S100 wheel cleaner IS P21S!!! I purchase this at my local Harley Davidson dealer as they carry all S100 products. I save on the shipping and the price is $8.95 per bottle! Also, their S100 wax is also THE SAME as P21S......DEFIANTLY cheaper and I can pick it up locally!!

Quick Reply: Wheel Cleaning Process?