Sponsored by:

Wheel Cleaning Process?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 08:08 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

As I recall one of the most important issues in wheel cleaners today is to ensure that they don't over do it and ultimately attack the paint on your calipers. I think some are fairly harsh.

I just use a little DAWN dishwashing soap, occasionally, and then follow up with another coat of wax. The second most important issue is to not put this off. Keeping up with cleaning the wheels goes a long way in keeping them nice. If you delay the project gets bigger over time.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:46 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
This is the first Porsche in which I realyl don't have to routinely wash the wheels. When I have them off the car I clean them, front and rear, and then I wax them with carnuba. Perhaps the ceramic rotos have a lot to do with it...
It's your rotor and pads because I have the stock red S brakes and the fronts get black easy in 1 day after a wash. I can't keep my wheels clean!

I use ReJex too and it is great stuff but brake dust still sticks. Soap and water clean everything up though.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:50 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I've heard that the reds and blacks really do make quite a mess these days. Must be a soft pad material. I have been very fortunate with the PCCBs.

Last edited by Edgy01; 01-29-2007 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:39 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

WOW ... !! I guess what I've been doing for the last 30 years is incorrect. Thanx for showing me the way, guys.

Actually, I'll keep doing what I've been doing.

What's next? "How do you start your car?"
Old 01-29-2007, 09:50 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Baggerdude
WOW ... !! I guess what I've been doing for the last 30 years is incorrect.
You didn't exactly say what that was.

I just use a little DAWN dishwashing soap, occasionally, and then follow up with another coat of wax.
Dawn is actually too harsh for wheel cleaning, as this product easily strips the protective coat of wax/sealant on your wheels and calipers.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:57 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OCBen
I'm not tellin'. I'm afraid that somebody will start dissin' me about my methods, bro. So, I'm keeping it to m'self.

Still .... it works well for me.

BAGGER
Old 01-29-2007, 10:04 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Dawn is actually too harsh for wheel cleaning, as this product easily strips the protective coat of wax/sealant on your wheels and calipers.

Ben,--what's the least usable strength?
Old 01-29-2007, 10:13 PM
OCBen
Banned

Ben,--what's the least usable strength?
You mean of dishwashing detergent? ... I wouldn't use it all no matter the concentration, and I hope you're not using it to wash your car.

For your PCCB equipped wheels I would just use your preferred paintwork shampoo. And since you don't have much brake dust accumulation I wouldn't even recommend P21s wheel cleaner for PCCB wheels. Your carwash soap (which is typically mild and formulated not to remove wax) should be adequate for your wheels. .... (Lucky you! )
Old 01-29-2007, 10:23 PM
OCBen
Banned

I guess what I've been doing for the last 30 years is incorrect.
Well, if you're happy with what you've been doing, then keep on keeping on.

I know I thought I knew what I was doing 20 yrs ago when it came to wheel cleaning, and I'm glad I was able to learn from the methods of others who were more experienced and knew better.

I'm not tellin'. I'm afraid that somebody will start dissin' me about my methods, bro. So, I'm keeping it to m'self.
I mean, how drastically different can your method be from using soap, an applicator and water?
Old 01-29-2007, 10:36 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

What a tool! Geesh get a freakin grip.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:38 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by mdrums
What a tool! Geesh get a freakin grip.
You talkin' to me Mike?

You must be talkin' to me then as you posted that after my post.

You got a problem, Mike?

You man enough to admit it?
Old 01-29-2007, 10:50 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Well, if you're happy with what you've been doing, then keep on keeping on.

I know I thought I knew what I was doing 20 yrs ago when it came to wheel cleaning, and I'm glad I was able to learn from the methods of others who were more experienced and knew better.

I mean, how drastically different can your method be from using soap, an applicator and water?
Yes, Ben .... I'm happy with what I'm doing. The P-car is just a car. Yeah, it's a 100K car, but a car just the same. Not a collector BTW.

Brake dust, road crud, tar flecks, salt grime and such all make cleaning wheels a chore. But, treating the painted, clear coated cast wheels (or similar) like brushing a baby's teeth is not my way of doing things.

I use a brush. Actually, several different brushes depending on what the wheel design looks like. They look like nylon bristles. My M5s wheels are not EZily cleaned with one type of brush .... I use 3. All cheapo deals that I've purchased from Auto Zone (or same), or the grocery store. Different brushes for different nooks and crannies.

I typically use SG (Simple Green) at the same proportion that I use for the rest of the car. A jigger or so in 3-4 gallons of water. Silly me. I also have a stronger dilution that I have in a spray bottle to spray on the wheels when 'more power' is necessary.

Sometimes I use WD40 on the tar residue that seems to come from someplace. Spray it on, let it stand 15 minutes .... rub it off.

I've also use BOM SHOCK at 1:4 with water on my motorcycle wheels and cager wheels, too. Works well to dispel most of the brake dust and grime.

Using BOM (the original spray) on the wheels keeps the brake dust from clinging as much as normal. So does Zaino. So does wax. I'm not partial to wax, tho. But, all make cleaning the next time EZier, too. Weekly works well.

I know folks like to make a science of cleaning a car and spend quite a bit of time on the wheels. Me ... ? I like it clean and EZ.

Perhaps if one is going to keep their car FOREVER, then what one uses to clean it (inside and out ... including the wheels and mufflers) becomes somewhat important. I drive my car pretty much all the time. Yeah, when it's crap outside with snow, ice, salt ... I drive my truck. But, I do drive it in the winter. So, cleaning the P-car is a weekly deal. Takes me about an hour.

I rarely keep a car longer than 3 years. Sometimes less. At trade in time, I'm never asked what I washed the car with, let alone the wheels and under carriage. They always say, "the markets a bit soft on Porsches presently". Bastards.

Just my .02.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:54 PM
OCBen
Banned

Alright Bagger! ... Sounds like there's a definite method to your madness!

You actually put more time and effort into cleaning wheels than I do.

I've heard about others using Simple Green and that seems to work for them.

And on BMWs with their intricate wheels you're gonna need more than one type of applicator or brush in your case. In fact David Bynon of Autopia uses a detailing brush kit for Beemer wheels and the like. But since my wheels are the simple 5 spokers it's really easy for me to just use a sponge.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:04 PM
OCBen
Banned

Yes, Ben .... I'm happy with what I'm doing. The P-car is just a car. Yeah, it's a 100K car, but a car just the same. Not a collector BTW.

I rarely keep a car longer than 3 years. Sometimes less. At trade in time, I'm never asked what I washed the car with, let alone the wheels and under carriage. They always say, "the markets a bit soft on Porsches presently". Bastards.
I envy you man, being able to get a new p-car every 3 yrs or less.

So when's your new baby coming in, any day now?
Old 01-29-2007, 11:13 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Alright Bagger! ... Sounds like there's a definite method to your madness!
Yeassss .... I may be mad (got bit by a dog on my bike today ... waaaaahh), but I may have been the 1st person to use a leaf blower to dry a vehicle. Tho not documented.

Used in on a '96 Harley Bagger. Never saw a post on any message board before I posted in '96. Was that Dos?? Tho, I'm sure I was (really) not the 1st. Got the idea from a Touchless Car Wash deal, tho. And, it works great to get the H20 outa the nooks and crannies. Gas caps, wheels, door handles, head/tail lights, etc.

I still use the electric blower on my vehicles. ALL of them. Plus a California Blade, couple synthetic chamois, 100% white cotton towels, yada, yada.

But, I digress. This can be posted in another thread next week when it appears ..... again, eh?

Quick Reply: Wheel Cleaning Process?