Sponsored by:

Opinions on Guards Red?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 01:02 AM
soc_fans
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on Guards Red?

What do you guys think of Guards Red? Is it really a 'showy' color? I really love the color especially on all 911 but i don't want the color to be too 'showy'.

Also, is it hard to maintain Guards red? My cars in the past had always been either Black and Grey.

Pls kindly share your opinions, very much appreciated! Thanks.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:09 AM
Stephenkng
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe Carmon Red is your alternative. I got one and love it.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:26 AM
mountainmaniac
Advanced

Always loved it. Something about red and Porsche together, it just seems right. 15 years ago in college I got a 944 Turbo and a girl came rushing into my house, "I heard you got a RED Porsche!!" Ever since then I've wanted a red 911. Red was a bad color on the 996 though. Looks better on the 997. Flashy, yes. But I think it will come back into style as we all grow tired of our shades of grays and blacks.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:30 AM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

guard red is the only red P-car should have..... it's a classic
Old 01-12-2007, 01:32 AM
4thporsche
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had 3 Guards Red P-Cars. Not by design but because they were off of a dealer lot. Great color. Goes with Porsche. Relatively easy to maintain. Current car is Atlas Grey, miss the Guards Red.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:00 AM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

I had an 05 Guards red car, very nice color and easy to keep clean. I liked it and at the time was somewhat rare.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:58 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Your gut tells you it is "showy" and I think in general people would agree. There are many that love the color, including me. The least showy colors might be gray, silver, black... Most showy bright Red, Yellow, and even the Cobalt Blue I have is more on the showy side than not.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:03 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 282 Posts

I think the 997 looks best in bright colors...showy is a matter if personal taste. I think Guards is muted for example compared with speed yellow!

Love the cobalt Ron - one of my first choice colors, along with GR of course.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:41 AM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

I love the porsche guards red, especially on a 997. It, the speed yellow, and cobalt blue look great. I struggled with my color decision. My S4 was red, and the car before was red. I also had a yellow vette earlier.

My wife talked me into trying another color and as I never had a blue car I went with the cobalt blue. Glad I did, but the guards red still looks great!!!
Old 01-12-2007, 09:06 AM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

i'm surprised mjones hasn't chimed in seriously, he should be able to give you some thoughts on the color red and how it handles dirt. i've seen his red p-cars and they're beautiful.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:12 AM
caf
Rennlist Member

As others have pointed out, GR looks better on a 997 than a 996. I can't figure out why, though.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:20 AM
Paladin
Advanced

My '06 997S cab is guards red. It definitely stands out in a crowd. I often describe it as "give me a ticket red" or "mid-life crisis red" - although I've yet to get a ticket in my 2 months (1100 miles) of ownership. I'm sure that won't last.

Concerning care, I've been obsessive - and loving it. I've never been this way before. I now have a whole shelf of various Sonus, Klasse, P21S, Meguiars and Zymol stuff. My favorite product of the bunch is Sonus Glass Polish. It makes the windshield absolutely invisible! Amazing.

I think that any flat color is more 'nagging', under close inspection, than a metallic, in showing light surface scratches. This is my first flat color in a long time. As far as dirt, for what little my garage queen has seen, it appears to remain quite well hidden. At least as well as my silver grey BMW 545i 6 speed sport daily driver. Can you believe that I used to think that the 545 was somewhat of a sports car! I have a new appreciation for it as a luxury sedan now.

Like many Porsche finishes guards takes on different 'hues' in different lighting conditions. I notice that in the brightest light the car can take on an orange-ish tone and it's not particularly my favorite. Which isn't to say that I don't like it, I do, it's just very showy. At dusk or in shade it's a magnificent bold deep red hue - my favorite. I love how the color shows off the rear curves. And I think that for a cabrio it is just the s***! Hope this helps.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:25 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 282 Posts

The bright finishes all obscure minor swirls well. Guards has a very deep red tone when polished, but yes it does have a lot of orange in it.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:29 AM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I wouldn't buy any other color Porsche. Well maybe if I was buying a 2nd one I'd get a different color. But when I have one Porsche it will always be Guards Red.
Ever since I was a child it was the color that I associated with Porsche. For some reason there are very few. Many of the other colors just look far to boring for me for such a wonderful sports car.

I find Guards Red much easier to maintain that black.

Oh, and if you get red you absolutely positively MUST get the clear side markers.

Old 01-12-2007, 10:46 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Guards Red..is great.
A classic Porsche color
Easy to maintain, even looks good dirty.
Showy...not
There is alot more Red cars on the road than you realize.
My Carrera S was GR..and now my GT3 is GR

Quick Reply: Opinions on Guards Red?