Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on Guards Red?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 10:50 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 128 Posts

Showy? Naw....just having a Porsche is showy! I L O V E Guards Red and to me it is a very classy color for a sports car. My next Porsche will wither be White or Guards Red.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:40 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 129 Posts

Personally, I have observed today's Porsche buyers to be a lot more conservative and thus the Guards Red choice is much more rare. It's an average color when it comes to maintenance,--niether the hardest nor the easiest to keep clean. Of course, it is "Arrest Me Red" so you will get some increased visibility with the you-know-who. With the 997 body it looks great, and since few are ordering it, you will be at an advantage,--it's a standard color (less pricy) but rarely ordered (i.e., rare and thus will be in higher demand in the secondary market when you decide to move it along.)
Old 01-12-2007, 12:01 PM
malammik
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer told me that Carmona Red is out of production as of few weeks ago. It really depends on your own perefence. Someone will hate it, someone will love it. How do you see yourself in it? If the car is a daily driver, you're probably better of with a shade of grey. If not, it is all about how you feel.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:58 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a silver Boxster, then a black 996. Now I have a guards red 911 and a speed yellow 997. I believe these cars are more appealing in bold colors. I don't think the bold colors make the car more showy, just more..."BAM... jeez look at that thing!" Now if they would just bring back Mexico blue and viper green...
Old 01-12-2007, 02:04 PM
soc_fans
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the opinions guys! I really really do appreciate it.

I've decided to get Guards Red 997s. I'm flying to Arizona tomorrow to pick the car up and drive it back to SF. YAY! I feel like i'm back to 10 yrs old now.

Thank you again guys, this forums rocks!

Cheers~
Old 01-12-2007, 02:19 PM
soc_fans
Instructor

Originally Posted by spottash
My '06 997S cab is guards red. It definitely stands out in a crowd. I often describe it as "give me a ticket red" or "mid-life crisis red" - although I've yet to get a ticket in my 2 months (1100 miles) of ownership. I'm sure that won't last.

Concerning care, I've been obsessive - and loving it. I've never been this way before. I now have a whole shelf of various Sonus, Klasse, P21S, Meguiars and Zymol stuff. My favorite product of the bunch is Sonus Glass Polish. It makes the windshield absolutely invisible! Amazing.

I think that any flat color is more 'nagging', under close inspection, than a metallic, in showing light surface scratches. This is my first flat color in a long time. As far as dirt, for what little my garage queen has seen, it appears to remain quite well hidden. At least as well as my silver grey BMW 545i 6 speed sport daily driver. Can you believe that I used to think that the 545 was somewhat of a sports car! I have a new appreciation for it as a luxury sedan now.

Like many Porsche finishes guards takes on different 'hues' in different lighting conditions. I notice that in the brightest light the car can take on an orange-ish tone and it's not particularly my favorite. Which isn't to say that I don't like it, I do, it's just very showy. At dusk or in shade it's a magnificent bold deep red hue - my favorite. I love how the color shows off the rear curves. And I think that for a cabrio it is just the s***! Hope this helps.
Hello! Apparently we both have the same exact color of car collection! I have a Silver Grey 530i for daily driving. Thinking of selling it soon as facelift is due in the next few more months.

By the way, i'll definitely give it a try for those detailing products that you've recommended. Thanks!

Cheers!
Old 01-12-2007, 02:49 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by soc_fans

I've decided to get Guards Red 997s. I'm flying to Arizona tomorrow to pick the car up and drive it back to SF. YAY! I feel like i'm back to 10 yrs old now.

Cheers~
Smart decision. You will love it!!!!
Old 01-12-2007, 03:02 PM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 121 Posts

Gaurds red 997's are awesome. Not only do the tail lights blend in beautifully, but it's also one of the colors that looks good with sport design wheels. GR also looks great with almost all of the interior color options (red beige is awesome imo).
Old 01-12-2007, 03:58 PM

Classic Porsche color
Old 01-12-2007, 04:01 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Nothing finer.

Take delivery without having the dealer clean the car, and your paint will be in as new condition as you could want. I did, and I started with Rejex soon after. Car is 2.5 yrs old and looks like it was painted last week.

If you love Guards, JUST DO IT!

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 01-12-2007, 04:06 PM
ziege
Instructor

Originally Posted by soc_fans

Cheers~
Good choice! I have always hated red cars, got a price I couldn't turn down on a Guards Red 997s, and now I really like it. It seems to fit very well with the 997, and has a nice look with the lobster claws and the big reds. Just looks hot.

Gets a lot of attention and women seem to absolutely love the color too. Or maybe it's just me.

Private Party AZ sale or dealer?
Old 01-12-2007, 04:59 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was GR or SY for me...I chose the SY as I just had a Imola Red M3 now for almost 6 years. GR is a beautiful color. As a lot of other people have posted, most high end car buyers..BMW, Mercedes, Porsche like the silvers/grey's and blacks. Thats why I got Imola on the M3 as it was only a M color and the red was gorgeous and I didn't see myself coming and going.

Dave
Old 01-12-2007, 05:15 PM
Snoopy
Racer

Another GR owner here. I love it, but then again, I always wanted a red Porsche.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:21 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

One other plus for Guards Red is the ability to match color on chip repair. With any of the metallic colors the "metal flakes" in the paint making matching more difficult.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:28 PM
svb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

My guards red after 26 years! No oxidation or fade on the original paint...and very few paint chips.

I never thought of guards red as showy....then again I think the older 911s were just meant to be red.

Quick Reply: Opinions on Guards Red?