Sponsored by:

Dension Gateway 500 iPod Adapter Arrived Today

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 11:24 PM
roger995
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Recoding of head units

[QUOTE=rickhuizinga]A PCM head unit will auto detect a new CD changer. The CDR23/24 headunits require recoding by a PIWIS system to recognize a newly installed CD changer or Gateway 500.

Rick, just to make sure I understand - my car doesn't have a CD changer, but does have PCM2.1 (Nav screen) and Sport Chrono Plus.

Will the PCM recognize the gateway 500 without dealer intervention, even though I don't have a CD changer?

Thanks very much.

Roger
Old 02-04-2007, 11:28 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Short answer is no
Old 02-04-2007, 11:31 PM
rickhuizinga
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=roger995]
Originally Posted by rickhuizinga
A PCM head unit will auto detect a new CD changer. The CDR23/24 headunits require recoding by a PIWIS system to recognize a newly installed CD changer or Gateway 500.

Rick, just to make sure I understand - my car doesn't have a CD changer, but does have PCM2.1 (Nav screen) and Sport Chrono Plus.

Will the PCM recognize the gateway 500 without dealer intervention, even though I don't have a CD changer?

Thanks very much.

Roger
It should. My car has PCM 2.1B w/NAV and no CD changer. For me (and for all PCM installations), the PCM auto-detected the CD changer without dealer intervention. I was able to complete the entire installation in my own garage.

Rick
Old 02-04-2007, 11:49 PM
shlbrn
Advanced

I too have PCM, factory default setting on Gateway dip switches allowed the PCM to auto detect the Gateway as the CD changer. I do not have nav or CD, absolutely no issues hooking up and operating. I did re-arrange the IPOD to 4 catagories named 1...., 2...... through 4..... ie 1jazz, 2rock so that the PCM sees 4 disks. Disk 5 is entire song list and 6 is settings on IPOD.

As I said before, if I can do it....

Deacon
Old 02-05-2007, 02:57 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ukchris
Here's my contribution. I reinstalled from scratch today and it took less than fifteen minutes, I took pictures and compiled them in to a PDF, hopefully this will help reassure people that this thing can be installed easily without any great technical know-how.

Download the PDF here: http://www.radarrack.com/boxster.html

Chris.
Awesome - thanks! Hopefully a 997 owner will collaborate with you to create a 997 version. Great stuff!
Old 02-05-2007, 08:56 AM
roger995
AutoX

[QUOTE=rickhuizinga]
Originally Posted by roger995
It should. My car has PCM 2.1B w/NAV and no CD changer. For me (and for all PCM installations), the PCM auto-detected the CD changer without dealer intervention. I was able to complete the entire installation in my own garage.

Rick

Thanks very much Rick. As you can see from the first reply to my post, there have been conflicting views on this aspect of the installation, but given that you'd done it and it works, I'm quite happy to forego a needless trip to the dealer.

Roger
Old 02-05-2007, 09:06 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow better than I had thought !
Old 02-05-2007, 12:04 PM
roger995
AutoX

Originally Posted by mudman2
Wow better than I had thought !
It does indeed sound encouraging. This thread has made the installation procedure far less daunting that it would have otherwise been.

Many thanks to all those who have shared their experiences.

R
Old 02-06-2007, 01:15 AM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 36 Posts

I completed the install today in my 06 Club Coupe; since I don't have Nav or a CD Changer, I tapped into the bus at the point behind the brake master cylinder shown in the photos. But to make it easier, I removed the Porsche plug and used the male to male connectors to directly attach the two OEM leads, to the fiber optic cables that came with the kit, ran those behind the carpet panel to the other side of the trunk, and attached them to the Dension unit. Too bad the connection point wasn't in the middle or better the other corner, because had it been, I could have eliminated the long leads.

The only surprise was that contrary to other reports, I had to take the car in and have the CD changer added using the Porsche computer, which Ruf Auto Centre did for free. Mine is a very early 06, so despite the fact that the Porsche technical service bulletin on CD changer installs says that all 06's are configured for a CD changer, mine wasn't. I'll post pictures tomorrow, of my cleaned up install.

The tricky part is learning how to navigate around through the playlists, and the only thing I wish Dension had done was pull album and artist info, as part of the text display in the PCM. Oh well.

It is a DYI, but I must say pulling out the plastic encasement out of the trunk is a pain--and I had to do it twice, because I dropped the last screw. What fun!!! That's the hardest part of the ordeal.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:38 AM
Hartley
Intermediate

So it doesn't display artist or album info? I thought is was posted earlier that it does? So how does one search for album or artist? BTW, 997 with Nav.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:53 AM
rickhuizinga
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hartley
So it doesn't display artist or album info? I thought is was posted earlier that it does? So how does one search for album or artist? BTW, 997 with Nav.
It allows you to search through your iPod library by artist, albums, playlists, etc., but when playing back songs it only shows the CD name (corresponds to playlist name for CD1-4) and the track name. It doesn't show the artist or album name during playback.

They tried to live with the limitations of the CD changer interface. Imagine you had CD's with CD text loaded in your in-dash or 6 disc changer - in this scenario, the PCM would display the CD (album) and track name but not the artist name. For the Gateway 500, the CD name corresponds to the playlist name (which is displayed for CD 1-4) and the track name is just that, the name of the track.

Rick
Old 02-09-2007, 07:28 AM
svinaik
Advanced

Folks need some help,

yesterday my Porsche tech tried install (gatewat 500) in Cayenne (MY 2004) and is not able to get the PCM read the IPOD. It once flashed on the screen as "IPOD" but at that time PCM had lost the amplifier connection.

Is it something to do with sequence in the fiber optic loop. He is installing it behind the center dash. and had positioned IPOD as last thing going into PCM and first thing coming out. Should he try a different sequence or location like back in the trunk where the CD changer is ?

Also, my IPOD is 3rd generation. Could this have something with it.

I am confident that if it showed the IPOD once, we are close to it but till then just waiting..
Thanks
Old 02-09-2007, 03:09 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Just had gateway 500 installed in my 997S, from PCM head, FIRST OUT! I have Nav, Bose.
Placed behind glove box, cables in glove box. Works great. required PIWIS reprogramming!
Pictures later if interested.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Midnight Blue
Advanced

Originally Posted by larrytrk
Just had gateway 500 installed in my 997S, from PCM head, FIRST OUT! I have Nav, Bose.
Placed behind glove box, cables in glove box. Works great. required PIWIS reprogramming!
Pictures later if interested.
Did you do the install yourself, dealer, or third party? I'm in on the group buy and will be installing in a 2007 Cayman S with PCM & Bose but no CD Changer.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:37 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Local dealer. Fair price for all the work required! Have pictures, will try to link later!

Quick Reply: Dension Gateway 500 iPod Adapter Arrived Today