Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dension Gateway 500 iPod Adapter Arrived Today

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007 | 06:08 AM
mishref
Advanced

Originally Posted by stumil
Quote: "If the USB Harddrive feature works well; I might just leave a 300gb in my car for all my music needs."

Interesting idea. How would the USB Harddrive get (I presume AC) power? Does that mean that there are DC USB Harddrives out there? Don't you need some sort of operating system (such as the one built into iPod) in order to play music?
I have a 12v external harddrive case .. the big harddrives usually use 12v .. the smaller ones run at 5v.
Old 02-23-2007 | 02:31 PM
mclanej
2nd Gear

I see that the song playing at the time of an ignition shutoff continues when power is restored. I have another overly detailed functionality question:

If I'm listening to a song on my iPod with headphones and then connect it to the Gateway and turn the ignition, will the song continue from the point that I plugged it into the Gateway or does it get reset?

Oddly enough this is very important for me. Many thanks.
Old 02-24-2007 | 05:44 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Originally Posted by clundin
I'm planning to install mine in the trunk - seems a lot easier than the glove box. I don't really need easy access to the ipod. I have the Bose amp - no CD Changer.

Any suggestion where I can connect the power cables? I'm hoping to tap into the Amp somehow. The fiber was easy to connect to the amp.
Even without the cd changer, you will have the power line for the CD changer--it's behind the carpet on the passenger side of the trunk, and the line looks just like the power line that runs to the module that's in the trunk, to the left of where the cd changer would go if you had one.

If you scroll up in this thread you will see pictures of the power line. Red-green wire is positive and the brown one is ground. FYI, I used Posi-taps to tap into this line. Not every auto parts store carries them, but they're very nice and won't mangle up your wiring like cheaper line taps (typical of trailer wiring installs) can.

Posi-Tap
Old 02-24-2007 | 08:10 PM
clundin
Intermediate

Great. Thanks. Posi-Taps looks like what I need...
Old 02-24-2007 | 08:46 PM
hindibuff
Advanced

I love that idea of the USB hard disk. Would make a lot of things simpler. At the same time, there are some new ones out that draw power from the USB port itself, negating the need for a DC adapter (Western Digital).

Now that would be real easy to plugin and remove when the need be if one of those would work.

Anxiously awaiting some first hand experience with this.
Old 02-24-2007 | 09:02 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

A 1gig usb flash drives works great! I just tried a quick experiment, but songs were accessible as in the i-pod mode. I need time to go back and check features!!
Old 02-25-2007 | 05:07 AM
acf
Racer

I just installed the dension with the help of a friend today. So far so good, i experienced the problem where it is stuck on loading when you select track list.

I'll play with it some more and see if it happens again.

Originally Posted by rickhuizinga
The only thing that I've seen is that track list was once stuck on "loading...". This seemed to happen when I sent a "randomize" command while a new track list was loading. It self cleared a few moments later. Normally loading a 50 song (or 1 page) track list takes about a second, and I think I selected "randomize playback" while it was displaying this message. In either case, playback of the track began immediately, but the track name did not appear until the "Loading..." message is cleared. I'm keeping my eye on this, but I would categorize it as a minor bug as it happened only once when forcing the track list to change, has no negative impact on playback, and seems to clear shortly thereafter.

One thing that is neat is that you can download new firmware from the Dension website, place it on the root of a USB mass storage drive and plug it into the Gateway 500's USB port to upgrade the firmware without removing and replacing the unit. Because they released the Gateway 500 for the Audi and Mercedes before the Porsche, upgrades are now available for those cars. The firmware shipped on my Gateway is the most recent, and is currently the only version released for the Porsche. So far, it seems very stable.
Old 02-25-2007 | 08:26 PM
rebe1
Racer

So we can use the CD Changer power line if we currently have a CD Changer? Would this mean it'll be pretty much unnoticable to the dealers if we uninstall this device in the future?

I don't really see much info on this from the installation manual that I d'led from the Dension site .

Originally Posted by Paul S.
Even without the cd changer, you will have the power line for the CD changer--it's behind the carpet on the passenger side of the trunk, and the line looks just like the power line that runs to the module that's in the trunk, to the left of where the cd changer would go if you had one.

If you scroll up in this thread you will see pictures of the power line. Red-green wire is positive and the brown one is ground. FYI, I used Posi-taps to tap into this line. Not every auto parts store carries them, but they're very nice and won't mangle up your wiring like cheaper line taps (typical of trailer wiring installs) can.

Posi-Tap
Old 02-25-2007 | 11:44 PM
acf
Racer

Yeah when im on track listings , the loading text gets stuck ALL the time. Turn off the car, arm the alarm, wait a few seconds, start up car again.. and then it's fixed until you browse around a bit, go back and forth and then it gets stuck again. I hope dension fixes this asap.

Another thing I found is I dont have the TOGGLE option, instead it says SELECT.. and that doesnt do what TOGGLE does. Denison help!

Anyways heres a picture of my install.
Old 02-26-2007 | 01:49 PM
rickhuizinga
Advanced

FYI, there is a new firmware revision (v1.04) for the Gateway 500 on Dension's website:
http://support.dension.com/support-c...root=12&id=106

My Gateway 500 shipped with v1.00, so I will try to do the upgrade today and report back...
Old 02-26-2007 | 01:59 PM
rickhuizinga
Advanced

Hmmm, after reading the upgrade notes I noticed a warning that the CDR24 is not supported with this firmware revision (v1.04). I also noticed there weren't very many documented fixes, so I think I won't try it out after all. I'm quite happy with the performance of the unit to date.
Old 02-26-2007 | 02:13 PM
Midnight Blue
Advanced

Here are the upgrade notes from the Dension v1.04 firmware upgrade:

GATEWAY 500 MOST FIRMWARE HISTORY:
==================================

v. 1.04
=======

Modifications:
-------------

- Audi MMI Monochrome release
- Mercedes Text capable version released (for Comand)
- Saab 93 release (For cars were produced between 2003-2006 equipped with color or
monochrome display)

- !Porsche CDR 24 is not supported!

- Repeat OFF on iPod is disabled, which doesn’t allow iPod getting into stop state at the
end of a play program
- In USB operation: AAC support removed.
- Factory default text mode configuration for Audi, Porsche

- Browser: When +SELECT text mode is used, the [<EXIT>] text is used to jump out from
browser. (The [..] is kept to jump back one level.)
- iPod Browser: Items of Playlist /All now sorted by album instead of Title names.
- AUX: When NOTEXT mode is configured Track 99 will be displayed, like earlier. When
text is displayed AUX will be visible on the position of Track 1.

- NEW DIP switch configurations added! Visit:
http://www.dension.com/fileok/IceLin...manual_web.pdf

Bug fixes:
---------

- Audi: the Head Unit turns OFF Shuffle mode when changes disc or when track is changed by
the user. In these cases the Shuffle mode is kept from now on. Side effect: To switch OFF
the Shuffle mode on a device, when the HU already displays Shuffle mode OFF, the Shuffle
mode have to be switched ON and then OFF.
- Audi: When changing level in Menu, the time position is not always displayed for the
current item for a while. This prevented selecting the current item.
- SEARCH: If the <SEARCH> item was displayed the last item was not listed.
- USB: Update from Hard Drives was not working in all cases, due to longer mounting times
compared to USB sticks.
- Browser: When you select the previously played disk from Menu, the function associated
to the disk (eg. play all) will play. Use seek back to exit the menu without any change on
the play program, as indicated in the manual
- On Audi (A6) Head Unit turns off Shuffle mode after disc changes Fixed.

Known limitations:
-----------------

- On Audis, when switching from GW to CDC or FM the track position is not kept.
- Some limitations were reported when GW 500 was installed in Audi cars equipped with the
newest MMI FW. (It is under investigation)

Known Bugs:
----------

- It was reported that the battery of the iPod went flat in some Audi’s after the car was
shut down.
Old 02-26-2007 | 02:22 PM
atomic80
Pro

Where do you find the firmware updates? I tried looking on www.dension.com without luck. I only found the user manuals.
Old 02-26-2007 | 02:29 PM
rickhuizinga
Advanced

Originally Posted by atomic80
Where do you find the firmware updates? I tried looking on www.dension.com without luck. I only found the user manuals.
The link is posted about 3 or 4 posts up...
Old 02-26-2007 | 02:30 PM
Midnight Blue
Advanced

Originally Posted by atomic80

See Rickhuizinga's post a few posts up. He provided this link

Last edited by Midnight Blue; 02-26-2007 at 03:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Dension Gateway 500 iPod Adapter Arrived Today