Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dension Gateway 500 iPod Adapter Arrived Today

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 08:08 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats most likely the problem. The iPod provides a very clean line level output. I use a Kenwood with line out, I would scrap the Roady.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:10 PM
dndodd
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:58 PM
Curvfun
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
I've forwarded this to Dension.....very odd to have Yazaki on anything other than early '03 Cayennes. We'll figure it out and get what you need.
As an FYI, my 2003 Targa had the Yasaki FO ends as well. Between the extra cable sets included in the Dension box and the extra cables and connectors included with the installation kit from when I installed my CD changer, I was able to get my Dension unit connected. Without the CD changer stuff, I would've been stuck.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:48 AM
mishref
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dndodd
I tried hooking my XM Roady up to the AUX jacks today. It worked but there was definite buzzing sound in the background. I use the same Roady in my old truck with a Pioneer Head unit with a 3.5 MM aux and it works fine.

Has anyone else tried using the AUX jacks? with SAT Radio?

It also could be a grounding issue .. pick up up a 'ground loop isolator' from radioshack .. see if that cleans up the sound.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:04 PM
dndodd
Racer

Default Ground Loop Isolator

It eliminated at least 97% of what I was hearing. The rest, I will never hear going down the road.

Thanks a lot for the help.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:12 AM
puako
Rennlist Member

Hi I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but can the FO for the dension be spliced in at the cd changer? I have a 996 c4s. Aloha, Rayton

THANKS ERIC! (Plug Guy)
Old 03-13-2007, 01:43 AM
ze_shark
Instructor

I understand you can do it anywhere in the MOST loop, and it is recommended to do it as close as possible to the head unit, which the CD changer must be next to. If you do have a CD changer, you probably don't want to fiddle with the alternatives.
My 2cts.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:03 AM
mishref
Advanced

It eliminated at least 97% of what I was hearing. The rest, I will never hear going down the road.

Thanks a lot for the help.
The rest is probably due to the powerline .. you could filter the power going to the unit XM Roady with a 12v ground loop isolator.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:50 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How did you install the Cayenne XM option?

Originally Posted by hjacobs2000
I have the XM (Cayenne) and Dension installed. Did both myself
hjacobs2000-

How did you get the XM satellite option to work using the Dension? I have a 987S with NAV and CD changer. I dont mind losing the changer if I can get XM also this would be my ideal configuration.

I am guessing that I can just use the AUX plug. How about getting power for the XM kit? Will I need to splice or will everything just plug in?
Old 03-17-2007, 12:50 AM
ze_shark
Instructor

Originally Posted by mishref
I posted my install earlier .. it was plug and play using the yazaki cables.
Got the highly anticipated cable from Eric/Bumperplugs today, but out of the whole kit you posted in your picture (copied below), I only got the Yazaki connector and one Yazaki FO at the top of your picture, which solves nothing.

This thing is testing my patience.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:32 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Shark....we have now sent you (in multiple shipments) all of the cables you need. Like I said, since you are an engineer, and I am not, you will likely be better at this than I would.

The Yazaki cable is simply that, ONE cable with a connector end. There are no other Yazaki products other than that one cable. But someone earlier was able to remove the connector and use it accordingly.

However, I have sent all of your info to Dension for review. When they reply on Mon/Tues I will forward the details you need.

It is quite odd about the Yazaki showing on your model and frankly, ANY model other than early '03 Cayennes, as according to Porsche, those are the only models that ever had them! But as we are finding, there is more than one.

Stay the course, bud, we'll get it resolved.

Thanks.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 03-18-2007, 01:31 PM
funcars
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I too have one of those weird 03 996 with the Yazaki cables.

Eric sent the orange Yazaki cable (which as you note isn't very useful by itself) and then followed it up with the two other cables. They arrived yesterday. Once I got them, I was able to connect everything up.

Thanks Eric!
Old 03-20-2007, 04:38 PM
suneet
Advanced

Just a 3.5MM that is usually used for the Cassette. I have a 3.5MM going into a 3.5MM to RCA converter then to the Denison.

This 3.5MM jack on the Roady does work in the Pioneer head unit going into another 3.5MM jack.

I was thinking maybe the Terk unit with RCA outputs might work better?

At this point though the FM Mod on the Roady sounds better than the diret connection to the Denison.
How are you powering the XM radio? If you are powering it via the included 12v plug, it contains unshielded cables and that is what is letting in the buzzing noise you hear. I have the same issue with the Sirius radio. There are two fixes, 1) get the hardwire kit from Sirius which contains shielded cables, or 2) what you already did, use a ground loop isolator\noise filter that you can get from radio shack or a much better PAC one that you can get from crutchfield.

- Suneet
Old 03-20-2007, 04:45 PM
dndodd
Racer

I am powering it via the 12v plug which converts it to 5V. PAC?

It is noise free at this point.

I also added a Gold plated RCA to 3.5MM 90 degree angle from xmfan.com which I think helped
Old 03-21-2007, 12:45 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Thought this might be helpful to some of you who have the units installed and working, but not quite as perfect as you expected.

After several 997/996 installs, we have found two things.

First, when you are trying to set some of the menu settings, for example, AUX IN, if your system freezes or locks up, and won't allow you to complete the menu prompts, other than to advance it to the next setting, UNPLUG the iPod unit from the system. That seems to resolve the issue.

Secondly, for those of you who had a cd changer, and installed the unit youselves, and found the unit to be working, but still not as fast as you'd like...

Once the unit is installed, it is likely to work much better if you reprogram the system using the Porsche system tester, to re-identify where each component is. For example, if the cd changer is at point #5 on the loop, and the Dension ends up at point #2 or point #7, it will still work (Dension) once the cdc is off the loop. BUT the functionality has been significantly improved on installs when we hooked the system tester to the vehicle and reprogrammed everything.

That's all for now. More to come.

Quick Reply: Dension Gateway 500 iPod Adapter Arrived Today